Page 1 of 2
Has anybody else noticed that when you look at fan clubs or discussions from fans that there are stupid requirements to be considered a true fan or something of the sort.

I've noticed that if you are a fan of a certain band or series (for example tv or video games) there are certain things you have to hate and certain things that you think are the greatest.

Here's a few examples I've noticed

To be a true Metallica fan I've noticed that you have to think that either Master Of Puppets or their self titled albums (or both) are practically the bible and that St. Anger is the worst album ever made.

and for a Green Day fan it's pretty much the same as above except that it's Dookie and American Idiot that are the bible and Warning is the sh*tiest album ever

and to be considered a Zelda fan you have to believe that Ocarina of Time is the greatest game ever made while either Zelda II or Majora's Mask is downright repulsive.

there's many others but those are some pretty decent examples

so is there any explaination to why there are such stupid unwritten but followed "rules" to be considered a fan?
Yeah, thats foolish. I'm a huge Zelda fan and I much prefer the Wind Waker. Also, Master of Puppets sucks (but I don't like Metallica so...)

*Puts up flame shield*
Quote by Tom_hatton
Yeah, thats foolish. I'm a huge Zelda fan and I much prefer the Wind Waker. Also, Master of Puppets sucks (but I don't like Metallica so...)

*Puts up flame shield*

raise that flame shield higher or get a bigger one cuz there's quite a bit of people here who would not take a second thought if they notice you bashed Master of Puppets
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Alot of people say if you don't think FF7 is the best you're not a true fan.
How i lol. as most of the people who say this have only played FF7, and maybe 10.

We all know FF VIII is the best...

And I consider myself a 'true' Metallica fan, even though I like St. Anger and my all first 4 albums are my favourite.
Also, Master of Puppets sucks (but I don't like Metallica so...)

I think i shall have to maintain a disagreement with you there on both points....

now just wait till the 13 year old classic metal fanboys come charging in

OMMGGGZZZ HITLER!!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
How i lol. as most of the people who say this have only played FF7, and maybe 10.

I know how you feel, 7 was great but personaly 9 is my favorite...but anyway the whole "True fan" thing is bull****. I don't understand how people think, if you don't love a bands older material and think that their newer stuff is sellout **** then you automaticaly have no clue. pffft, don't get me started...seriously I haven't eaten all day and I need to get off UG to go get some food...
Quote by Ichikurosaki

Indeed. Those SNES ones were awesome as well.
Quote by RedFez64
I think i shall have to maintain a disagreement with you there on both points....

now just wait till the 13 year old classic metal fanboys come charging in

OMMGGGZZZ HITLER!!!

Lol that's practically about 1/2 or more of the pit monkeys here
Quote by chinkboy7
Has anybody else noticed that when you look at fan clubs or discussions from fans that there are stupid requirements to be considered a true fan or something of the sort.

I've noticed that if you are a fan of a certain band or series (for example tv or video games) there are certain things you have to hate and certain things that you think are the greatest.

Here's a few examples I've noticed

To be a true Metallica fan I've noticed that you have to think that either Master Of Puppets or their self titled albums (or both) are practically the bible and that St. Anger is the worst album ever made.

and for a Green Day fan it's pretty much the same as above except that it's Dookie and American Idiot that are the bible and Warning is the sh*tiest album ever

and to be considered a Zelda fan you have to believe that Ocarina of Time is the greatest game ever made while either Zelda II or Majora's Mask is downright repulsive.

there's many others but those are some pretty decent examples

so is there any explaination to why there are such stupid unwritten but followed "rules" to be considered a fan?

That's weird. All the metallica fans I know love AJFA and worship that as their best album, think that the black album is overrated and think that master of puppets is a good album but is overrated.

the Greenday fans can't stand American Idiot.

And everyone that I've spoken to about Zelda thinks that majoras mask was an awesome game, maybe not as good as OOT but still an amazing game.

Maybe I just speak to weird people.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by mh.666
God, I hate FF9. Just didn't enjoy it at all.

I didn't care much for eight at all, bottom of the list for me but that's only my opinion...
Quote by chinkboy7

Someone hasn't heard of the Wand of Gamelon for Philips CDi.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by Ichikurosaki

+1

I haven't played VII, but I am willing to bet it's inferior to VI.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by IlikeTheSKA
Someone hasn't heard of the Wand of Gamelon for Philips CDi.

Thats not even counted as a Zelda game, its so poor
Quote by david_highland
I didn't care much for eight at all, bottom of the list for me but that's only my opinion...

Each to their own I guess. I just couldn't stand the characters in nine.
I love everything about Linkin Park except Brad's afro.

I wouldn't change anything about them except his hair.
Say for instance someone raped a virgin.
Can they also be charged for theft?
Quote by chinkboy7

Really? is warning generally hated by Green Day fans?

I love it....Castaway is one of my all time favourite Green Day songs
I'm gonna be honest. I thought Majora's Mask kicked the Ocarina of Time's ass.
D:
Signature.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
That's weird. All the metallica fans I know love AJFA and worship that as their best album, think that the black album is overrated and think that master of puppets is a good album but is overrated.

the Greenday fans can't stand American Idiot.

And everyone that I've spoken to about Zelda thinks that majoras mask was an awesome game, maybe not as good as OOT but still an amazing game.

Maybe I just speak to weird people.

well the Green Day fans are kind of split between about American Idiot being good but the "hardcore" fans hate it.

and to the Zelda fans I've seen Majora's Mask is almost considered Sh*t if Zelda II didn't already claim the title
Quote by RedDeath9
Indeed. Those SNES ones were awesome as well.

I watched all that rubbish from a lounge chair in a dorm room...

Somehow I don't overflow with excitement when some cartoon child makes a flash of white light and the riveting results explode forth from the screen...

"3"

Am I the only person who finds this crap ridiculously boring?
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Zelda II was a side-scrolling POS cash-in on the good name of Zelda.

IT clearly deserves its rep.

OOT was great. MM was pretty good as well, just I think after high standards set by OOT as a pioneer it's impossible for MM to live up to it unless it came out with something huge. I like Wind Waker once the 5-minute sailrides are all over, and TP was really cool. I should play through TP again.

Quote by Ichikurosaki

Whatever one had Kefka was my favorite. He was cool. Might have been 4. God damn, most kids on here probably don't even recall FF6 being released much less 4.
Last edited by pratt121 at Mar 12, 2008,
Quote by matt bickerton
Really? is warning generally hated by Green Day fans?

I love it....Castaway is one of my all time favourite Green Day songs

yeah I believe so I can't remeber exactly where I saw it but the reason that they hate that album cuz it was too poppy and not punk or something of the sorts
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
I watched all that rubbish from a lounge chair in a dorm room...

Somehow I don't overflow with excitement when some cartoon child makes a flash of white light and the riveting results explode forth from the screen...

"3"

Am I the only person who finds this crap ridiculously boring?

Are you a new-age FPS player?
D:
Signature.
Quote by Atomic48
I'm gonna be honest. I thought Majora's Mask kicked the Ocarina of Time's ass.

I agree with you maybe cuz I've been playing Ocarina of Time for alot longer and just recently played Majora's Mask which seemed fresh, well personally I think alot of the other zelda games are alot better than ocarina of time, except maybe wind waker it could have been better if it didn't take forever to sail everywhere
Quote by chinkboy7
yeah I believe so I can't remeber exactly where I saw it but the reason that they hate that album cuz it was too poppy and not punk or something of the sorts

Aren't all Green Day albums pop?
Quote by pratt121

Whatever one had Kefka was my favorite. He was cool. Might have been 4. God damn, most kids on here probably don't even recall FF6 being released much less 4.

That was six, which was called three outside of Japan (I think).
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
I worship metallica and I think that MOP is over-rated, in my opinion their 2 first albums are te best, but still, that is only my opinion.

To be a "true" fan (if there even is such a thing) you need to accept other people's opinions.

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
Quote by matt bickerton
Aren't all Green Day albums pop?

pretty much I'm just telling what the fanatics say
Quote by Tom_hatton
Thats not even counted as a Zelda game, its so poor

I'm so hungry I could eat an OCTOROK!
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by chinkboy7
I agree with you maybe cuz I've been playing Ocarina of Time for alot longer and just recently played Majora's Mask which seemed fresh, well personally I think alot of the other zelda games are alot better than ocarina of time, except maybe wind waker it could have been better if it didn't take forever to sail everywhere

Yeah time frame could be taken into effect. I however played Majora's mask first. But this reminds me when I thought Banjo-Tooie was way harder than Banjo-Kazooie even though nearly everyone says vice-versa. But that was due to the fact that I had played Tooie first.
D:
Signature.
Not being there since the very beginning.

Not being familiar with everything released by the band/artist/genre.

Not having studied the roots/influences of whatever you're a fan of (though it's a good idea to anyways)

EDIT: these are all dumb reasons not to be considered a true fan.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Last edited by raise_the_dead at Mar 12, 2008,
when stoners call you a poser because you love bob marley but you don't smoke pot
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Page 1 of 2