So I've been taking guitar classes at a community college on an acoustic, but I've pretty much decided to take some private lessons as well and I want to do that on an electric. I only want to spend about $400, so I was thinking of picking up a Vox Pathfinder and either a Gretsch Junior Jet II or a Squier (yeah, I know) Modified Thinline Tele. I like The Smiths, Modest Mouse, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Beatles, The National, Built to Spill etc. but I also want to play all of that old pop-punk stuff I liked in high school. I don't really want to mess with the stuff already on the guitar, I'd much rather just leave it stock if that means anything. So... good choices? Which is the better choice? Alternatives? Thanks.
Do you have an amp? I'd say get an epi VJ (tube amp, 5w), and an epi G-400 vintage, an SG-style guitar. TBH, most pop-punk bands use humbuckers for their guitars, so they would work better.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I don't have an amp. And yeah, I don't know.. I'm really partial to a jangly/clean sound. (I don't know if that's the right word?) Is it totally impossible to have it both ways?
Last edited by vivahate at Mar 12, 2008,
hmm thats a toughie....If you are willing to spend $400 I would go for a Mexican Stratocaster or the Telecaster (I got one for $500 CDN.) I think that would give you a good sound especially for the pop-punk stuff. The only thing is, if you're not sure if you'll like guitar, $400 is a lot to spend. If you are unsure about trying guitar, I would go with a Squier, but if you have played other guitars and know you really want to do it, id go for a more expensive one.
Fan of the Ottawa Senators

Quote by apak
My G string keeps slipping when i bend it.
Any suggestions?
Yeah, at first I was pretty set on the MIM Tele, but it's $400 and I need that money for both the guitar and the amp. So ideally I'd want to spend like $300 on the guitar and around $100 or so for the amp.
HSS strat with a coil tap. Best of both worlds but I am not a "strat purist" as uldhppi once posted.

100 for an amp, ouch, save. Tonally speaking, you get your sound from your amp. Wow, read that again and it sounded very profound...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Haha, are the bedroom amps that bad? I was thinking a Microcube or something like that, maybe a little Vox. I guess I can go higher for the amp.
The 5watt Vox and MicroCUbes are great. They cost $140 and $130 here. They are great for the money. At $100 all I can get is a cup with a string...
ok, if you can only go for $300 guitar, maybe look at an Epiphone or a Yamaha pacifica?
Fan of the Ottawa Senators

Quote by apak
My G string keeps slipping when i bend it.
Any suggestions?
BAM and BAM. Should be versatile enough for all your needs, and should last you quite a while.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by mafropetee
BAM and BAM. Should be versatile enough for all your needs, and should last you quite a while.

+1 - Nice little set up.