Hey everyone, this is my first thread on here.

I am in the market for a new set of pickups in my Epi Les Paul. I like to play classic rock a lot. I like Jimmy Page's tone a whole lot. I am looking at seymour duncans, i have used them in the past and i love the pickup i put in my frankenstein. I was looking at the '59 in the neck, and either the JB, the Duncan Custom, or the Jazz in the bridge. I am going to be putting in all new pots and a new three way switch.

I was just hoping for some helpful input on these pickups, or maybe some new suggestions that you might have either from SD or DiMarzio. Please let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions to give me a good vintage tone.

Thanks
have you considered bareknuckle pickups? I have one in my flying V, I was considering a duncan JB before purchasing my warpig but I am really glad I went for the bareknuckle, they are brilliant handwound pickups, a bit on the pricey side but well worth it

if you e-mail Tim (address on the bareknuckle website) he will be able to give you the best recommendation, as he actually builds them

also, try their forums, they are really great on there, really helpful
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
The closest you are going to get from Ducan or DiMarzio would be 2 '59s like heartbreaker said.
Not taking any online orders.
the duncan website recommended matching the 59 with either a Duncan JB or a Duncan Custom. They say the 59 in the bridge is sometimes not hot enough
Yeah the vox is pretty nice, but i like my marshall for overdriven stuff
Might I suggest checking out some GFS pickups?
You can them for around $30 each. Not a huge loss if you don't like them.
I have a set of their FAT PAF pickups in my Epi LP standard and I like them.
http://store.guitarfetish.com
yes my marshall mg... why? I know its a solid state but in my dorm room, i cant afford a tube amp and i need an amp that i dont have to crank to get a good tone out of. It is a fine amp to mess around with and i like it. Feel free to say that solid state amps are a waste of time though.
^The reason the Seymour Duncan site says that sometimes the 59 doesn't have enough juice for the bridge position is because people are looking for that fat cranked tone from their tube amp without cranking the amp. If you do crank your tube amp then you can still get a full fat tone from the 59. If you don't have a tube amp then their is no point getting higher output pickups.

You know what everybody is going to say about your amp situation so I'm not even going to go there. I still think a pickup change could be useful for you and I still think you should go with the 59 in the bridge and neck. If you think the 59 sounds thin in the bridge then buy yourself an alnico 4 magnet and swap it with the alnico 5 that you already have. I'll lower your output a little more but it will give you more colour.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by spootz
yes my marshall mg... why? I know its a solid state but in my dorm room, i cant afford a tube amp and i need an amp that i dont have to crank to get a good tone out of. It is a fine amp to mess around with and i like it. Feel free to say that solid state amps are a waste of time though.

Well, it's not that it's a solid state, it's that it's a Marshall MG. I also can't believe you like the MG's distortion better than the Vox's Classic British Combo modeling, or whatever they call it.

Also, I just don't think that new pickups are going to make all that much of a difference through the MG, at least. The Vox should allow you to hear a decent difference. Don't expect anything drastic. You should be able to dial in what you need out the Vox, though. It's versatile enough...Anyway, just letting you know. The amp is most of your tone, whereas pickups are smaller, so don't expect much of a change.

Also, if you need a fatter sound in the bridge, a Duncan SH-14 Custom 5 would be a nice idea.
i know the marshall amp doesnt have that great of tone, and the pickups probably will be unnoticeable there, but my vox is still my main amp. I thought my amp was what was dampening my sound, so i was planning on buying a new tube amp. from what i can afford, i was looking at the peavey valveking 112. But when i plugged the evh guitar i just finished that i had put a seymour duncan invader in, my vox amp sounded BEAUTIFUL. Yes, a fender all tube amp would be another big improvement, but the money for a new, bigger amp, is not too practical, as much as i would like an amp that could just slaughter small woodland critters. But when i went back to my epi through my vox, i realized that my vox wasnt what sounded dirty and muffled, but my pickups were limiting the amp quite a bit, because the invader pickup in my frankenstrat let my vox just scream away. I am aware that my amp situation could be a little better, but for what i have, im just trying to work with what i have with some upgrades.

on a different note, i went to a local store and my friend who works there suggested the alnico v burstbucker pros. I played them through my same vox amp to get a fair compairison and they are the winners i believe. Those pickups were great.

as for my marshall. I got it and for quick playing, i like the simplicity of just a gain and volume knob to play through. The overdrive sounds good with the pickups in my les paul, but with my invader the amplifier simply cant keep up. The Vox is my main player, and i have made some pretty good tones out of it and have come pretty close to a good Van Halen sound for the few riffs i like to crank out of my frankie. my marshall is distancing itself from me more and more as i learn that with better pickups it is going to limit me greatly, but before i thought that my pickups were fine, and that amp matched those pickups pretty good.

does anyone know anything about the burstbucker pros?
i got a burstbucker pro SLIGHTLY used on ebay for 70 bucks shipped. i installed it today(i only have the neck upgraded so far, i still need to buy a better bridge pickup, so the bridge is stock for now, but the neck pickup is so nice. it gave me the sound i wanted, and through the vox amp i really like what it can put out. i like that amp a lot and this pickup is letting me hear tones that i have never made out of it. im putting gibson pots in tomorrow in my epi.
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

if you like jimmy page tone, get a tele
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal
Quote by fosho
if you like jimmy page tone, get a tele

for some of his stuff you are definately right. and i don't see a tele as too far off in my future but we will see. i am trilled with this burstbucker so far.
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

Quote by spootz
for some of his stuff you are definately right. and i don't see a tele as too far off in my future but we will see. i am trilled with this burstbucker so far.

i was just being a jerk, in all honesty what i would reccmend is a burstbucker in the bridge and a duncan antiquity in the neck.

a while back i was looking into really really hardcore vintage tone and the antiquity did a good job of it, but that phase passed and im back to loving my single coils and funny looking/sounding buckers
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal