I'm in the budget for a new amp, since my line 6 spider III isn't really doing it for me anymore. I play mostly metal, but for a (almost) complete list of the bands I like check out my profile. My budget is roughly 700 € (A bit more if I save for a little longer and get the job I applied for this summer). I've been looking a 5150 and they seem to have a pretty good tone for metal and hard rock (I think Van Halen used one so it has to be good for hard rock too, doesn't it?). However, I'm a bit concerned about the cleans (the lack of cleans actually, lol) on the 5150. I think I've heard somewhere that the peavey 6505+ or something would have better cleans. Is this true? I'm not really looking for a suberb clean tone, just something decent for intros and the occasional acoustic interlude. I'm open to suggestions though, but remember that the amp has to be giggable, preferably tube and preferably a combo (I've been looking at a Marshall JCM 800 combo, and they seem a lot more versatile than the 5150, but it seems to be hard to find used ones and they might be a bit too expensive, plus I don't really dig the distortion on it (flame me all you want lol); judging from the youtube clips I've heard from it the distortion sounds a bit too growly for my taste). Oh and don't suggest the Randall RG50TC, I checked it out and the distortion was a bit too fizzy + the cleans weren't that good (the harmony central reviews say that its pretty bad too).
Also, is this a good deal?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-5150-2x12-Combo-w-ftsw-global-ship-EVH-Van-Halen_W0QQitemZ170201166854QQihZ007QQcategoryZ38076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Check the latest post.
Last edited by Pingis_Or_Death at Mar 16, 2008,
I thought Eddie used a Plexi head, not a 5150. And now he has his own signature 5150, which i dont think is made by Peavey. Have a look at Mesa/Boogie amps. Alot of ppl like the F series amps, as well as the RoadKing and a few others. Also, since you seem to live in Europe, an Orange amp would be good as well.
The 6505+ would cover occasional cleans OK. However, it's still not amazing at it.

I can't get to ebay where I am, so I can't comment on the link. I'd recommend trying out a Peavey Valveking with an OD in front if you must; it might satisfy your filthy needs

Otherwise, there's always the trusty B-52 AT series. Seems a good compromise for that sort of thing.

Quote by qotsa1998
Have a look at Mesa/Boogie amps. Alot of ppl like the F series amps, as well as the RoadKing and a few others.

Also, since you seem to live in Europe, an Orange amp would be good as well.

A. Mesas are really, really overpriced over here. Won' be getting one for 700 euros.

B. Don't think Orange would give that kind of dark, saturated distortion, though it would cover cleans nicely.
the 5150 is van halen's signature amp, and the 3rd generation isn't made by peavey. the 6505 is the same as the 5150, just renamed because the contract with eddie ran out
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
Oh and don't suggest the Randall RG50TC, I checked it out and the distortion was a bit too fizzy + the cleans weren't that good (the harmony central reviews say that its pretty bad too).

Haha harmony central... before you take their advice look at the reviews they gave the dreaded Marshall MG100DFX

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Marshall/MG100DFX+112+Combo/10/1

They all gave the sound quality a perfect 10 lol
the 6505 is nice (besides cleans) and the 6505+ imo doesn't have enough gain if you want to play metal
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Vandals572
the 6505 is nice (besides cleans) and the 6505+ imo doesn't have enough gain if you want to play metal

It might have a bit less gain, but it still has far more than you would ever need.
Don't think Orange would give that kind of dark, saturated distortion, though it would cover cleans nicely.

.........what?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
.........what?

This guy wants to play metal. Orange = bad choice.
Hey sorry for bumping my own thread but is the Peavey 5150 II the same as the 6505+? They make both of them in combo versions, don't they? I heard someone say that the 5150 II is bad compared to the original 5150, is this true? The 5150 II is pretty versatile, isn't it?
Right now it seems like I'm going to save up for the combo version of the 6505+ or the 5150 II. Does the 6505+ and the 5150 II have enough gain for death metal without an OD?
Also please answer my question whether this is a good deal or not:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-5150-2x12-Combo-w-ftsw-global-ship-EVH-Van-Halen_W0QQitemZ170201166854QQihZ007QQcategoryZ38076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
You help is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Pingis_Or_Death at Mar 16, 2008,