This is my brother's (username Biatch) amp, the Grainger Hammerhead 50. Bought for £200 at Soundcontrol.co.uk.

Last edited by Mwoit at Mar 12, 2008,
You might wanna get a real speaker cable instead of that planet waves instrument cable...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Features: Quite a basic setup, and does the job. The independent / interactive EQ is kinda annoying and haven't really achieved a decent tone with it on. However, I haven't tried really hard! The 50/25W switch at the back is pretty handy, so you can drive the amp at a much lower volume (my brother tried this out at band practice and he tells me it was great). Reverb sounds pretty decent and everything is pretty sturdy.

Sound: Sounds great for the price; cleans are good and fluid although this doesn't really show in my clips (check profile). You can play some big chords or jazz and it would sound great. When you knock up the gain some more to a low crunch, you can get some tones which would be great for classic rock / blues. Cranked up, this amp is meant to be pretty vibrant and alive but that's according to my brother. At higher gain levels, it sounds pretty good for rock and blues, but this is no metal amp. Gain at about max, it didn't sound very precise and articulate. But with a boost / pedal, it sounds more alive and precise, but I still wouldn't recommend this as a metal amp.
Last edited by Mwoit at Mar 12, 2008,
Quote by FLCLcowdude
You might wanna get a real speaker cable instead of that planet waves instrument cable...

Yeah, will do soon...

Quote by sashki
Looks awfully similar to the Epiphone Socal, another cheap valve head

It's a CONSPIRACY

It's the same amp, just rebranded.
Looks pretty nice! Looks nicer as an Epi though I think. The Grainger logo is too small and thin

I guess you can't really argue if it was only £200
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
CHANge thE CABLE ASAP!

Otherwise you mgiht not have an amp to make clips about.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^Cable has been removed and will be replaced by a proper one ASAP. Speaker cables are different from regular cables because?

Thanks for the warning by the way.
Well there is a MUCH greater load from an amp. Like a guitar packs a very small output, while an amp packs a HUGE one. The guitar cable handles the low signal of a guitar. But can't take an amp. Then the energy from the amp has nowhere to go and then you can blow the OT or in the worst case, the whole amp.

I wouldn't even play it without having a proper speaker cable, jstu to be sure.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

yeah, i'd definitely want a real speaker cable.

Looks really nice, good pics. I'd put up with the Grainger logo considering how much cheaper it is than the epiphone one over here: £549 for the head o_O and that's not including the cab, which they don't seem to have in stock...

i've heard rumours that sound control's decision to get these graingers is why rosetti are no longer the UK distributor of Gibson. But it's only hearsay. It does sound plausible though.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Mwoit

Don't know why, all I know it is definately a rebranded amp.

It's just like Bugera and Peavey. They're pretty much rebranded 5150's and 6505's. Cheaper than the real thing and just as good.

Or so I've heard.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
It's just like Bugera and Peavey. They're pretty much rebranded 5150's and 6505's. Cheaper than the real thing and just as good.

Or so I've heard.

Sort of, though Bugeras are a very similar design whereas those Graingers are actually Epiphones in every way. At first I assmued they must be made with cheaper components or somthing, but even this doesn't appear to be true.

Any Brit who'd buy an Epiphone amp now is a complete idiot.
Quote by stratman_13

Or so I've heard.

not really. the bugeras are, mostly, reverse engineered versions of the peavey amps. the grainger amps are, internally, exactly the same as the epiphone amps. they're the same amp in every way, except for the branding.

i had one of these on order but cancelled it. the price is great, and i am roughly in the market for a new amp, but its just so impractical for me, i can't deal with the hassle of a half stack or of trying to replace the 4x12 with something more practical...
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Ahh. Gotcha. That's what i was trying to say in a roundabout way I suppose. Thanks
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Gabel
Well there is a MUCH greater load from an amp. Like a guitar packs a very small output, while an amp packs a HUGE one. The guitar cable handles the low signal of a guitar. But can't take an amp. Then the energy from the amp has nowhere to go and then you can blow the OT or in the worst case, the whole amp.

I wouldn't even play it without having a proper speaker cable, jstu to be sure.
Blah, I'm gonna have to disagree with you here.

To me there's so much safety whoring with tube amps, it's ridiculous. They're SO much more sturdy than even most make out.

I've cranked my VC30 through a patch lead into an attenuator, then into a cab. Multiple times.

It makes next to no difference, afaik. The only difference between wire gauge, afaik, is resistance. And with the short lengths of wire that is required between an amp and speaker, there's barely any length of cable.

An amp doesn't put anywhere near mains voltage or current out.... And my laney is totally fine.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
what does afaik mean?
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
As far as I know.

On-topic, nice amp!
Quote by MrCarrot
Blah, I'm gonna have to disagree with you here.

To me there's so much safety whoring with tube amps, it's ridiculous. They're SO much more sturdy than even most make out.

I've cranked my VC30 through a patch lead into an attenuator, then into a cab. Multiple times.

It makes next to no difference, afaik. The only difference between wire gauge, afaik, is resistance. And with the short lengths of wire that is required between an amp and speaker, there's barely any length of cable.

An amp doesn't put anywhere near mains voltage or current out.... And my laney is totally fine.

This has nothing to do with being tube or not. An instrument cable will not handle the large current that an amp puts out, for a long time. That being said, it may work for months or even years; or the cable will short and kill your amp after a few minutes. It's just not worth taking the risk.
^Exactly. I spoke with MrCarrot and this is what we agreed on:
Never ever play an amp with an instumrent cable instead of a speaker cable, unless you kno EXACTYLY what you're doing, since it can seriously hurt your amp. Unless you have some knowledge of electronics and the consequences (and the costs to change the Outout Transformer if it blows) don't ever do it.

Heck I would never do it, since I would never want to have the risk.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Last edited by Gabel at Mar 13, 2008,
Hang on TS, are you using this with a full length (10ft kinda thing) guitar lead?
Quote by Gabel
Heck I would never do it, since I would never want to have the risk.

I might try it with a cheap amp if I ever need an excuse to upgrade the OT (and various other parts, if I'm lucky).
*Facepalm*

I just discovered the TS is using a 3m instrument cable....

I based my entire argument off the usage of the tiny little pedal-to-pedal patch cables, like what I use. The wires in these are very short, obviously, for direct head to speaker usage, and so they have a low internal impedance and can handle it fairly well.

The 3m cables though, have excessive capacitance and resistance.... They're a big no for that purpose.

I had a convo with Gabe, yeah we pretty much agree on what he says up tharr ^^^
Quote by kyle62
Sort of, though Bugeras are a very similar design whereas those Graingers are actually Epiphones in every way. At first I assmued they must be made with cheaper components or somthing, but even this doesn't appear to be true.

Any Brit who'd buy an Epiphone amp now is a complete idiot.

apart from the valve junior head

but agreed with all the other models.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MrCarrot
*Facepalm*

I just discovered the TS is using a 3m instrument cable....

Don't worry, we got a proper speaker cable coming! It's been removed (the instrument cable) and the am has not exploded yet.

Thanks for the comment guy.
Quote by Gabel
But when you got yours, there was no Grainger to chose.

yeah, i know. kinda annoying. there's no grainger version of the VJ head, though, as far as I'm aware- so if you could get one reasonably cheap, i'd still say the VJ head would be worth it. it's the more expensive epiphones which are much, much dearer than the graingers anyway.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Or get a Harley Benton, which is cheaper and mod it to VJ specs (replace the tone pot with a resistor).
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

yeah, that'd also be an option.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?