i'm learing the solo to pink floyd's another brick in the wall and at a certain part, i have to bend from my 13th fret on the b string to the 18th fret. i'm using 13's and whenver i do that bend, i hear a faint crack. is it the nut, is it the neck, something else ? i don't know.

so my question is: can large bends damage the guitar neck ?

Bends wont damage the neck, if anything your string will snap...So what your saying is your bending from the 13th to the 18th. 2 1/2 steps!! I don't remember the song but its probably your saddle or nut. Closely inspect those areas when you bend.
My virgo makes a slight cracking sound if I push too hard, but she's getting old and I've been hard on her.
Doesn't throw it out of tune at all though.
I should probably adjust the neck pocket, or reseat the neck screws/bolts. But I'm not worried

I know mine is the neck, not anything else.
May be the string slipping from the tuner heads.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
You should either slide to the 15th fret on b and bend 1 1/2 steps or slide to b and play 12th fret on e and bend 1/2 step. If that makes sense. Don't think you should be bending that far?! I stand corrected if he does.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
yeah if you've ever tried to play the song those Gilmore bends are wicked, but you can pull it off.....just give er hell cuz when you hit it right it sounds mint, I think he was right saying it might just be the pegs making that sound from sliping out
It's not doing any damage to the neck.
Take some pencil lead or soap and rub it in the nut grooves (not that one, sicko) next time you change strings. That should help.
I wanna go straight out and just say, what about lighter strings?
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
It's also possible that cracking noise is your neck shifting around in the neck pocket.
Quote by Roc8995
It's not doing any damage to the neck.
Take some pencil lead or soap and rub it in the nut grooves (not that one, sicko) next time you change strings. That should help.

i already do that, thanks for the tip though

Quote by CJRocker
It's also possible that cracking noise is your neck shifting around in the neck pocket.

is that a bad thing ?

Quote by FLCLcowdude
I wanna go straight out and just say, what about lighter strings?

but my guitar is set up for 13's and i like them...
The other post has it right he's not bending that far. If you have a chance to see him play this on video you will know what he means.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by The red Strat.
is that a bad thing ?

Yes and no. If it's knocking your guitar out of tune, your strings out of alignment, and possibly knocking off your intonation, yes. If it's not, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe tighten the screws. My Charvel does it from time to time and I've had no issues. More likely to happen when it's warmer as it causes everything to expand slightly, giving it that extra room to shift around.
Quote by The red Strat.
but my guitar is set up for 13's and i like them...

Hey, I can't argue with personal preference.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by CJRocker
Yes and no. If it's knocking your guitar out of tune, your strings out of alignment, and possibly knocking off your intonation, yes. If it's not, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe tighten the screws. My Charvel does it from time to time and I've had no issues. More likely to happen when it's warmer as it causes everything to expand slightly, giving it that extra room to shift around.

ok, thanks man !

thank to everyone else here too
A friend of mine goes through a nut about every 6 or 7 months on his Tele from excessive bending. It's fine for a while and during a bend a section of the nut will just snap off. The neck itself is fine though.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by CJRocker

+1

My Tokai used to crank loudly when I did neck bends. I just tightened the screws, and now it's silent.