Preferably solid state. Valve amps sound like too much trouble for a newb like me. Besides, I'm interested in a good clean sound and maybe EMG pickups + solid state amp = decent clean and distortion?

Anyways, I'd like the amp to have some effects, at the very least stuff like reverb, chorus, and flanger.
Well, i cant really recommend much. Maybe a Peavey. But Valves are definately worth the little bit of trouble. And they sound much better. I would get a Fender Super Champ XD, as it has effects and all-tube sound.
Vox valvetronix amps sound pretty decent and don't cost too much. Tube amps do sound aLOT better though and they aren't really that much trouble, even for a newb.
I really don't like the idea of having to warm my amp up when I want to play and put it in standby when I'm not playing.
Peavey Transtubes are the best sound, quality and usable power. Roland Cubes are also highly recommended, my second choice.
Quote by Parabellum
I really don't like the idea of having to warm my amp up when I want to play and put it in standby when I'm not playing.

so youd rather not wait for one minute ad get less quality sound? ok good idea?

Go for a tube. EMG's sound crappy with ss amps. also you have to warm up the valtronix too. if you want emgs and good sound get a tube amp.
Quote by qotsa1998
Well, i cant really recommend much. Maybe a Peavey. But Valves are definately worth the little bit of trouble. And they sound much better. I would get a Fender Super Champ XD, as it has effects and all-tube sound.

+1 on this amp its a true hybrid amp
oh and to TS
youll never fully understand the beauty of the electric guitar until you play trough and own a good tube amp
EMGs sound terrible through an SS amp. Tube amps aren't that much of a pain; the warm up isn't too long, and you don't have to put it on standby unless you're taking like a 5 minute break, which really then isn't a big deal either.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Quote by rafarquhar
EMGs sound terrible through an SS amp. Tube amps aren't that much of a pain; the warm up isn't too long, and you don't have to put it on standby unless you're taking like a 5 minute break, which really then isn't a big deal either.

I would have to 2nd everything you just said, especially about the EMGs (or actives in general). They sound awful on ss.

If you live in the us, which I'll assume, since your price is in $, I'd reccomend the Palomino series (v8 or v16 are both under $300). I love mine. Another option is the blackheart little giant. Everyone here(or a lot people here) think they are great for the price. Aside from those, the valvetronix and super champ xd are both good.
Last edited by saltysnail at Mar 12, 2008,
I think you've convinced me. If people think that tube amps are so much better, I might just get one. Anything I should know about maintenance? I think I'm going with the Vox AD30VT.
thats an alright starting amp but it aint no tube amp
if your ganna get that i would tell you to look at a epi valvejunior instead and a micro metal muff for distortion
The Palomino is your best option. My son had a Vox AD30VT and we upgraded him to a Palomino V16 and never looked back. He absolutely loves the amp. There's no hassle in owning it at all. It'll be years before you need to replace the tubes, and you'll probably swap 'em out just for fun long before then. It's not hard.

The amp has reverb. You can get yourself a nice chorus/flanger to go with it.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by Parabellum

it's only for a minute or 2 that you let the tubes warm up..
I think Roland cubes are pretty good. Nicely built, buncha effects, and sounds great.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Quote by Parabellum

I would rather do that than have a horrible tone; plus 30 second to a minute isn't that much of a hassle. Also, when your not playing you just turn it off only stand by if you going to take a break for a few minute, so you don't have to warm the tube again, though again 30 second to a minute isn't that much. Turn you amp on (to warm up) then plug your cable and get your pedals ready (if you have any) and by the time your finish you probably took a minute or two, so now you just play, you don't have to wait for it if your smart on time management .
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Any other suggestions for a good tube combo?

Also, how much does it cost to replace the tubes?
The Palomino V16 is the best you're going to do for under $300. You could replace the tubes in that with a quality set for about $60.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yeah, the v16.
Or, if you can find a peavey classic 30 for under 300, that's a great choice too.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^ Going used certainly opens up another world of options!

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by Parabellum

:stickpoke
AHHH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! This is a joke post... right?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
^ You clearly don't understand the stress of waiting 45 seconds between turning on an amp and playing a note. Or the physical exertion required to flick the stand-by between sets. Either situation is a potential tragedy, combining the two could result in death.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
^ You clearly don't understand the stress of waiting 45 seconds between turning on an amp and playing a note. Or the physical exertion required to flick the stand-by between sets. Either situation is a potential tragedy, combining the two could result in death.

if not death, it would at least give one a hangnail....
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Quote by brianthemayan
if not death, it would at least give one a hangnail....

hanging from your cuticle and it ain't that beautiful.
+100 if someone gets where its from
Quote by uldhppi
Peavey Transtubes are the best sound, quality and usable power. Roland Cubes are also highly recommended, my second choice.

+1 Although i don't own a cube 30 I've played through one on several occasions. Nice amp. I do own the transtube and it's great to. Between the 2 i honestly don't know which one I like better. Wish i had both. But for $300 you might want to consider a Valve Jr combo with some pedals. Out of the box I don't really care for it, but with pedals it easily runs with the transtube and cube 30 for tone. good luck with your choice.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by claytron07
hanging from your cuticle and it ain't that beautiful.
+100 if someone gets where its from

It hurts like a bitch that I did last night