I have a question about the tubescreamer pedal. I played one today (It was the one that had the TS9 mode and the turbo mode, I'm not sure of the name of the pedal, but it was Ibanez not Maxon) and it just didnt sound like I had expected it to. I made a thread awhile earlier asking about a good OD pedal to go with my JCM900, and most of the replies were for the tubescreamer. When I tried it out today, it just sounded really really crunchy, and not smooth distortion like everyone said it gave.

I tried it through a Vintage Modern combo, I figured it'd at least give me an idea of what it'd sound like on my JCM900. I had the pre-amp setting up pretty high, so could that be the problem? Are you supposed to have the amp itself on a clean channel and then throw the OD on? I figured that wasnt the case, because it's supposed to act as a boost to give you more distortion, not take away the amp distortion and replace it all with pedal distortion. I dont know, but can anyone tell me what I was doing wrong?

I'm looking for a good metal tone out of it. Like I said I have the JCM900 2100 head and a 1960A cab, and It'll either be going through a Les Paul with EMGs or a Jackson RR1 with Seymour Duncans. I'm looking for a really Randy Rhoads-type tone, my treble's usually maxed and the mids around 7/8, and then bass aorund 5/6. The presence is usually at about 9, also. The amps itself works great with those settings and can do rhythm on it's own with the gain all the way up, but I need more for solos.
Anyone thats got advice or an aswer, it'd be really appreciated.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I Wanna know what you meant
Maybe something like a volume boost? Like a MXR Micro Amp.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Yeah, I would imagine you have the gain turned up too high on the amp. For clarification, and for your own benefit, an overdrive pedal is not a distortion pedal. An overdrive pedal boosts the signal of the guitar going in the amp (each OD pedal does it differently), and pushes the preamp hard for a different character of distortion.

IMO, you should have a channel on your amp that is dedicated for tube screamer use (I am not familiar with the JCM 900). And if you dont have that, considering getting another pedal to try or try other pedals like compressors to get your lead tone down. If all else fails, then you have to, probably choose if you want to have a really good lead sound, or a good rhythm sound, or something in between.
Did you do this w/the TubeScreamer: Volume all the way up, gain all the way down

or

Volume to taste, gain way up.

Cuz, you should be doing the top one to get smooth OD + volume boost for your solos.
'68 RI LP Custom
'90 JCM900 4100 + EQ & Boost
With the pre-amp volume boosted, the amp will have lots of crunch on its own. Turn down the gain, as others have said.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
tbh, i think you need to experiment with different amounts of gain. a JCM900 with the gain at 6 + active pickups should be plenty to play metal rythms. if you like the tubescreamer though, get it and do what lespaulopolis said with the gain all the way down on the pedal and use it as a boost
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
You need to tweak about with the Tubescreamer to suit your rig, especially the tone control. Try to find a great setting without changing your amp EQ. I find TS are best for switching between a crunch and lead tone.

Look into my CheapScreamer, a much better modded version of a TS w/true bypass etc. link in my sig
Quote by GuardianofBlind
Yeah, I would imagine you have the gain turned up too high on the amp. For clarification, and for your own benefit, an overdrive pedal is not a distortion pedal. An overdrive pedal boosts the signal of the guitar going in the amp (each OD pedal does it differently), and pushes the preamp hard for a different character of distortion.

no, no, no.

that is not what an overdrive pedal does. an overdrive pedal is a distortion pedal. it is meant to simulate the sound of a tube amp being overdriven so it distorts. the pedal provides distortion of the original signal, so in essence it is a type of distortion pedal. it differs in the fact that it is meant to provide a smooth type of overdriven sound with less gain than the typical distortion pedal. what you are describing is a boost pedal. a boost provides nothing but extra volume to the guitar signal so that it pushes the preamp harder.

however, most people use overdrive pedals as a form of boost. the most common use of a tubescreamer style pedal is to turn the gain (drive) down and the level up. with the gain set to add a touch more distortion from the pedal, plus the level set at above unity, the pedal will push an amp harder as well as providing some of its own distortion. this works well in conjunction with the mid hump associated with ts pedals to give a nice boost for lead work. so what you want to do is turn the gain down, level up, and tone to taste for that typical amp-being-pushed sound you think of with a tubescreamer.
As usual Jof is right. But that's to be expected from someone wise enough on this stuff to become a staff member.

Anyway, TS, what settings did you have it on?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Perhaps look into an 808 of some sort?

They're quite smooth sounding imo.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley