Boosting an amp can be useful sometimes, but generally its just used by inexperienced guitar players without much technical ability. The added compression can be used to compensate for 10 years of practice and experience, sort of a cheat. People using boosts should stop wasting money and start trying to gain some actual playing ability

Discuss
yeah, people like Vai should really learn how to play.

I mean it's not as if they want to get a bit extra for their tone. It's all just to cover up the lack of skill in their playing.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Chudanez

... No.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
I guess all the big names that use boosters are just covering up their sloppy technique. I dont see many inexperienced people using them. Most of the users Ive seen have been playing a long time and obviously saw some sort of need for a booster. Good to see opinions are still worthless.
i have also not seen any beginning players using boosts.

im sure alexi is actually quite bad, and uses his gain booster to cover up his inabilities...
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Your argument makes no sense (assuming you're even being serious because it is a pretty ridiculous thing to say); when you use a boost pedal you use very little of the the pedal's gain and use it to give your signal a little bit of a boost (imagine that), usually for tube amps to help drive the tubes harder especially at lower volumes. If you use a bunch of the pedal's gain with little or no amp distortion, you're using a distortion or overdrive pedal.

More on the topic, gain and/or distortion doesn't really cover sloppy playing. It might fool the uneducated but you'll never fool another guitarist unless you're so distorted you can't even hear what's going on (which is never good).