How good are the 900's the dual reverbs ive heard some people saying they are very good but very underated and some others saying they are the worst marshall tube amp.

Im looking for a classic rock crunch think acdc, led zep, bon joi, def lepord but like overdrive sounds such as oasis, libertines, green day, the who.

I heard the 900's have a metal hard rock type tone and lack the crunchy sound, i want the sound say you strike an A or G chord and you hear the crunch and can tell it's a marshall a mile off the what im after.

Would the dual reverb be what im looking for or not? They just go on ebay for very cheap so i was wondering

cheers guys
Having owned a JCM900 I ahve good experience with it. Not a bad amp at all. It's defiently a hard rock and metal amp. Not at all a crunch amp.

The sound you described is just what the JCM900 ISN'T for. I'm sorry.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
i will fight anyone who says worst marshall ever
fight and kill
it can handle all that, a good investment is an od for a boost for solos
The JCM800 would be much better for the Classic Rock tone. The JCM900 is a more modern sound compared to a JCM800.
Quote by Gabel

The sound you described is just what the JCM900 ISN'T for. I'm sorry.

In what was is it thin sounding like mesa distortion don't like that thin distortion metal sound.

Is there any way to get it more crunchyier
Quote by roryp15
In what was is it thin sounding like mesa distortion don't like that thin distortion metal sound.

i can ge ta pretty good crunch outa mine, i dunno, i guess i wouldnt say it struggles with any of those styles but ya its not been made for those, an 800 would be perfect for that sorta thing a 900 is if you wanna branch into heavier stuff as well as that, maybe ebay a JTM? dunno
Quote by roryp15

dont pile on the gain, just turn up the volume. you may wan to try some pedals, too.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
I have one, and it sounds great for everything you described.

Noel Gallagher used one with Oasis, they are one of my absolute favorite bands, and the only other amp I would go to for that is either an Orange or Vox AC30.

It does have a great crunch, but not like an old Super Lead would. It has a lot of gain, but not enough for metal at ALL. It can barely do Metallica. With a pedal, it can hit metal, but by itself, it has fairly high OD.
High as tits
Quote by roryp15

I had one and struggled to get it do the Marshall crunch. If that's what you want (which you said you want to) it's a bad choice. I eventually sold mine, since it didn't do what I wanted.

A lot of guys in this thread says it does that classic Marshall crunch. It can do a passable one, but if that's the tone your aiming for, then it's a bad choice. I wouldn't say it has a thin tone, but it has a tone without a lot of mids and very modern.

You can get one of these:
http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubPages/BSTMB/BSTMB.htm

Otherwise a Peavey Windsor is a good choice.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009