So from what I understand, out of the A-Ionian(Major Scale), played from the 2nd note on through would be Dorian?
so if I start out on the 2nd note from the A- Ionian and play the rest of the notes in that scale it would be Bmin dorian? Is that right? Sorry new to this lead mode stuff.
so then play over something in C#min off the 3rd note of the A-Ionian scale would be phrygian?
If you already understand how modes are formed (C Major yields E Phrygian and such), then read on. Else, stop reading and tell me to post the standard modes lesson.

Once you get how modes are formed then don't think about that when you play. If you're playing in B Dorian, you're playing the B Dorian scale, not the A Ionian scale.

If you have learned modes as shapes, then get that out of your head; a mode can be played anywhere on the neck, not just in one box position or pattern.
I haven't learned anything yet just reading ,asking, I have the major scale down fairly well also the minor pentatonic and blues. I'm still trying to get around on the fret board without getting lost !! I appreciate the help.
no don't think of it like the second note of A major is A dorian or even just the dorian mode

i assume you know how to construct the major scale

WWHWWWH

now B dorian shares the same notes as A major but they are very different

respectively the major and ionian scale use the intervals
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8(octave)

where as dorian uses the intervals
1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7

so what you are talking about is B dorian not A dorian just to clarify if you think it is A dorian

the dorian mode implies a minor6 chord is being played in this case Bmin6 would imply dorian.

i don't know why they teach that like that all the time

this example you put down is more of a "cheat" to find a mode if you need to use it but more than likely if you are in a simple progression you won't need to use it.
song stuck in my head today

I've never found modal thinking to be particularly useful. I honestly probably don't understand it well enough..

Personally, though, I don't think about scales, I think of the chord itself, and in jazz it's usually at least a four note chord, often five or even six notes, so that pretty well defines your "scale" anyway.

If I want dissonance I will "fight" the fifth or something like that.

But modes to me seemed more of a classical concoction. It makes little sense to me improvisationally speaking, though it was useful just learning the various shapes involved.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

I don't understand alot of it. I think it's because I haven't learned how to read music. Although, I am a very goood rhythm player, and have been for years I never learned music. Yet I can tell you every chord in almost every song just by listening.
^ heh your beginning to sound like the film loose change misinformation and mis quoting people this is what i said even scroll up if you like

it kind of helps when you quote a whole sentence instead of just 1/2 of one

"no don't think of it like the second note of A major is A dorian or even just the dorian mode"

dic k

EDit: my edit was the quotations so you unsderstand what i am trying to say

and second comprehension for the win for me this time

Quote by lbc_sublime
^ heh your beginning to sound like the film loose change misinformation and mis quoting people this is what i said even scroll up if you like

it kind of helps when you quote a whole sentence instead of just 1/2 of one

"no don't think of it like the second note of A major is A dorian or even just the dorian mode"

dic k

EDit: my edit was the quotations so you unsderstand what i am trying to say

and second comprehension for the win for me this time

It is worded so horribly, the meaning of it doesn't change. I don't even see what you mean.
he said if i start on the second note of the Amajor scale that would be dorian and i am saying kind of but not Adorian but B dorian .

not to you cause you know how it works but alot of noobs think that when people say the second note of the scale is the dorian mode they think that that directly somehow applies to that scale

in this case Amaj

there for i am saying that the second note is not Adorian nor is it dorian in any sence as applied to the Amajor scale.

worded very poorly but expected you read the rest and can atleast agree with that

^ true i have trouble comunicating

ok as a noob to this alot of people think it is Adorian. so what i am saying in a bad way.

is that dorian has nothing to do wiht Amajor and shouldn't be thought of it in that way.

the Bdorian scale has nothing to do with the A major scale and was trying to say not to think of it in a way that it does have a relationship with the scale.

this might confuse you but it doesn't make any sence because it is an empathetic train of thought.

it's trying to understand how a confused person looks at it and trying to explain why it isn't that way. maybe i am totally lost as well in trying to explain to some degree

basically that starting from the secomd note is not Adorian. nor does it make sence to say it is dorian while talking about a maj.