My guitar has coil tap(not split). Do i need to worry about problems with not being able to coil tap?

Can i even fit emgs into my guitar? I'm not completely sure if i could with the way the wood is shaped.

Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Ibanez AEL20E Acoustic-Electric
Quote by Fallenblood
Nope, you can't. The sound from the two coils is electronically mixed so coil tap/split is impossible.

well, emg just came out with the emg 89, which is coil splittable, i was just wondering if that pick up was necessary if i wanted to put an emg 81/85 combo in my guitar...
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Ibanez AEL20E Acoustic-Electric
this might be stupid but what's the difference between coil tap and split?i thought they meant the same thing
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
Coil tapping is lowering the output of the humbucker, although the two coils are on. The sound is closer to a Single Coil. Coil Split is when one coil is off and the other on.
Quote by SomeDude49
well, emg just came out with the emg 89, which is coil splittable, i was just wondering if that pick up was necessary if i wanted to put an emg 81/85 combo in my guitar...

It didn't just come out, it's been out for quite a while. The 89 is like an 85 in humbucker mode, in single coils it's an SA.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
is coil tap still different than when you have them in parallel?
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
coil tap only uses part of both coils

coil split only uses one.

better amp is your priority though
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
the 89 has been out for ages, my ESP Custom has the 89 in neck, i like it more then the 85..or 60.
Quote by thellamaking
Coil tapping is lowering the output of the humbucker, although the two coils are on. The sound is closer to a Single Coil. Coil Split is when one coil is off and the other on.

No, a coil tap is when you less of a single coil's windings. Never seen a coil tap for a humbucker. And it doesn't sound closer to a single coil, but there is less output.

Coil split is what companies are usually talking about when they say their guitar has a coil tap, if it's equipped with humbuckers. I have yet to see a real coil tap on a production line guitar.
TS, your guitar doesn't have a coil tap, it has a coil split. Either way, you can't split the standard EMG's - the 89 is specifically designed for it and there's a spilttable 81 coming aout apparently.

Given the rest of your rig there's little point installing active pickups.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
A quick point about the EMG 89 - it's a stacked pickup, essentially containing an EMG 85 and an EMG SA. Try to think of it as being 'dual mode' instead of splittable. When you hit a toggle, you switch from the humbucker to the single coil; you don't split the 'bucker.