hey guys, just saying i have a peice of **** fender squire p bass and i need a new one. i was looking at the fender j-bass, but before i buy anything, i was wondering if i should buy a five or six string bass. like i need to know the advantages of having one, and the disadvantages. should i stay with the j bass, or should i buy a nice 5-6 string??
ask yourself this:

do you need 2 extra strings?

its called a bass not a treble.
It kinda depends on what music you will be playing. The J bass is very versitle.

however, if if do play a lot of heavy stuff and find it annoying to constantly down tune your E string, you may want to purchase a 5 string.
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
well 2 extra strings will be lower then the E so if you think you need it then yeah
it depends on what you play, ive got a musicman sub5 along with other four string basses, and depending on my mood/what i want to play as to which guitar i use, when playing a 4 string needs alot less precision when playing, i use to get lost easily on my 5 string, not on the frets but what string im playing,i still do every so often if im jumping around n stuff.

it depends what you like, try a few out and buy the one you're most happy with
Bam
ya thats what i mean, i like stuff from like as blood runs black, august burns red, and me and my band usually play dropped tuned, so i think that would be worth it, even though the j bass is nice ass. but any ideas of a good 5-6 string bass??
Quote by willy_99
well 2 extra strings will be lower then the E so if you think you need it then yeah

No it won't. I'm pretty sure one is a low B and the other is a high C.
I'm no bassist, but from my experience with the instrument, being creative with the 4 strings it has by default always wins me over more than someone with 6 strings playing in the upper register because they can.
I'd say go for the 6.
More versatility.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
It's not about "heavier" or whatever. It's about versatility and having more available notes in each position.

If you haven't tried 5 or 6 string basses and don't feel the need for it then I'd say stick with a four.
but how about a '70 eb-3, my friend is sellin his (no idea why) but i heard phobias about gibson basses, is that one good or no??
Quote by smb
It's not about "heavier" or whatever. It's about versatility and having more available notes in each position.

If you haven't tried 5 or 6 string basses and don't feel the need for it then I'd say stick with a four.

I have been a 4 string bass kinda gal for some time now, but I am thinking of getting a Jazz V24 for the very reasons that smb is stating above. The extra string and the 24 frets maximize that for me.

Now I just wish Fender offered that bass in a few more finishes
anarkee the problem will be when you get used to the 5 strings and 24 frets and then your 4 string 20/22 fret basses will feel really limiting! Still, the limitation is often good for the creative juices...

Quote by bassbrotha
but how about a '70 eb-3, my friend is sellin his (no idea why) but i heard phobias about gibson basses, is that one good or no??

Some people love them, but a lot of people complain about bad balance (the headstocks tend to dive for the floor if you're not hanging on to the neck) and very muddy tone from the pickups. I haven't played one, myself.
Quote by bassbrotha
lol ill guess ill stick it with a j-bass

Id reccomend upgrading to a fiver, There are no real disadvantages to having the extra low B in your arsenal. And you really like the Jazz bass they do make 5 string J's
I love my 5 string to death and I wish I just stepped it up to the 6 string version. The Ibanez Sr505 for anyone who is wondering. I feel if I already have a big neck and a harder time slapping, why not go for that high C? Personally I think my next bass will be a 6 string.

Hopefully it will be the Bongo 6 when it comes out :drool:.
If you droptune frequently it would be worth a 5 string. But as was mentioned earlier it's really all about the higher availability of notes in the same position, which is good for your economy of motion
Member of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.

Member of the "Schecter Stiletto Players Will Rule The World" Club. PM Your41Plague12 or Fett13 to join.
I like 5ers when they are tuned EADGC verus BEADG Im not a fan of the B, I find it floppy and stuff, It just depends on what you play, If you like messin more with higher notes you can get a 5, or a 6 and have both of both worlds. But 4 string isnt a bad option at all.
It's a matter of taste. I mostly play 6-string and find it way easier to play a lot of things live because of what I can play in one position. It also was easier when guitarists are switching guitars for different drop tuning or 1/2 step down; I just transpose on the 6.
I find at jams other bassists give me a hard time because I think I'm the only 6-string player and the only fretless player, but that's the instrument I best express myself with and thats the important thing.
Pick the instrument that's for you.
Quote by bassbrotha
ya thats what i mean, i like stuff from like as blood runs black, august burns red, and me and my band usually play dropped tuned, so i think that would be worth it, even though the j bass is nice ass. but any ideas of a good 5-6 string bass??

I recommend you to buy a fiver you dont need the c string unlesss you wanna play more higher notes
To the people saying fivers are great for drop tuned songs... I'm gonna say yes and no. I always say this when the point comes up. I've been a five string player for a few years now, and I still drop tune. Why? Cos sometimes some things are just too damn hard to play without drop tuning that E to a D.

Everything else I'd say is just reiterating what has been said.