Slaytanic1993
Wakka wakka
2,620 IQ
Okay, I posted this in the Metal forum first, to be safe as it was the "metal" forum, but it got closed .

Okay, idea here is .

-Melodic guitar along the lines of Opeth, Amon Amarth, and Post-Symbolic Death
-Growling vocals like Opeth, AA, and Vader
-Clean vocals like Dream Theater (lower range), Porcupine Tree (lower range) and Opeth
-Lyrics that follow a Viking/Pagan/Folk vein. I just shine with these lyrics.
-Jazz drumming with death metal influence.\
-Strange instruments for metal. Such as a trumpet, organ, and saxophone (all courtesy of myself )

Would anyone here listen to this type of music. I know most you would laugh hearing this type of music, or say it was **** or something along those lines. Just give me an honest opinion.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Last edited by Slaytanic1993 at Mar 12, 2008,
Punks|Not|Dead
Diamonds & Guns
250 IQ
I'm not a metal fan but I don't think you could realistically make a Metal-ish song work if you introduced a Sax or Trumpet.

Perhaps try some other instruments, more string based. Violin or cello for example. That could work better.
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
Slaytanic1993
Wakka wakka
2,620 IQ
Quote by Punks|Not|Dead
I'm not a metal fan but I don't think you could realistically make a Metal-ish song work if you introduced a Sax or Trumpet.

Perhaps try some other instruments, more string based. Violin or cello for example. That could work better.

Well, I like those instruments, but they've been done a lot. And I wanna try and breath some new life into metal (even though people are doing that as we speak [type I guess], you get my point).

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Punks|Not|Dead
Diamonds & Guns
250 IQ
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Well, I like those instruments, but they've been done a lot. And I wanna try and breath some new life into metal (even though people are doing that as we speak [type I guess], you get my point).

Hmmm depending on how you used these instruments though.

I mean something like an organ could work very well. I think a trumpet would make it sound too light hearted and just totally take away the whole effect of being a metal band
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
MuffinMan
UG Board King
224 IQ
I would love this. Do want. As long as it's executed well, of course.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
diminishedtobme
Banned
278 IQ
So its Jazzy Pagan Viking Metal? Idk, write some songs and see if they work, its hard to decide if you don't hear anything.
impeachpedro10
493 IQ
hell, could be good. idk about brass instruments in metal, but maybe you could be the first to make some true ska-metal :P
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
emr_steelmech
mmmm....broodwich
338 IQ
organ could easily work. Sax could work if you did it right. Trumpet, not so much I think but I'd have to hear what you come up with first.

I love prog/death metalz.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
SideshowRaven24
522 IQ
sounds br00tal haha. really, sounds good.
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
Slaytanic1993
Wakka wakka
2,620 IQ
Quote by diminishedtobme
So its Jazzy Pagan Viking Metal? Idk, write some songs and see if they work, its hard to decide if you don't hear anything.

Exactly, I've tried writing some stuff.
It works pretty nicely. The trumpet had to be worked on a bit more than guitars but it sounded nice when put together.
I was thinking of many replacing certain guitar solos with trumpet, organ, etc solos.

Quote by eggsandham2
impeachpedro10
493 IQ
tape emgs to the trumpet to get a brootal horn tone
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Slaytanic1993
Wakka wakka
2,620 IQ
Quote by impeachpedro10
tape emgs to the trumpet to get a brootal horn tone

Better yet, pump the trumpet through a Framus Dragon

Quote by eggsandham2
Armagedn
Roulette Bassist.
824 IQ
Well, I hate Death Metal, and this isn't exactly death metal, but listen to "A Little Piece of Heaven" by Avenged Sevenfold. It uses brass instruments a lot.

Here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=qvLjZLWdTeU
"There is no hell. There is only France." - Frank Zappa
Slaytanic1993
Wakka wakka
2,620 IQ
^
I've heard it, I hate A7X, but yeah they're really diverse I'll give em that. I mean country-ish song and then that.

Quote by eggsandham2
FeiRei
UG Senior Member
723 IQ
http://www.myspace.com/midnightbomberwhatbombsatmidnight

These guys make Metal and Sax work, though I have to agree on the trumpet thing, unless you can get a nice blues style trumpet player who knows how to get dark tones from a trumpet.
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.
pandora_grunt
Keys Blaster
62 IQ
Disclaimer: I just got out of bed so didn't read everything...

Organs or something similar is more often used in metal then you might think. But thats mostly power metal and stuff. But my point is: The lower tones of an organ can be really spooky. Maybe a ghost tale or something for the lyrics?

Saxophone. Well A cool instrument, but you'll have to experiment.

Trumpets: perhaps they could be used for the folk aspects of a songs, but it's a long shot if you ask me.
MadassAlex
91 IQ
Quote by Punks|Not|Dead

Sigh.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
binkythefurious
Grrr....
188 IQ
Use a tuba, nice low end brass, and a claironet could be handy too

But yeah do it, no one ever got anywhere playing it safe
.fallen
band art designer
485 IQ
so why does everyone think trumpet would be the least competant instrument here? i mean, after the organ it still beats the sax by a long shot.

think wagner, epic melodies, give it a symphonic sound.

sax, completely unsure of.
i have a 'white guitar'
Avedas
yoloswag420
673 IQ
Quote by FuzzyBear
to continue the viking them ditch the trumpet and use the horn of gondor instead

Or bring one of these on stage.

As for Akerfeldt vocals, good luck
5150addict
204 IQ
youve obviously never listened to kayo dot or sleep terror. get with it. thats not really an original idea lol.
Zycho
300 IQ
**** everyone else, play what you want. It's YOUR music make it the way YOU want. If you just play for everyone else and never for yourself you're just going to feel ****ty about your music.
Slaytanic1993
Wakka wakka
2,620 IQ
Quote by Avedas
Or bring one of these on stage.

As for Akerfeldt vocals, good luck

Yeah, I said like Akerfeldt, as in my range is similar to his, as he can hit pretty deep notes and go rather high too, which I can do rather nicely too (If I may say so myself).

I can do the PT and DT lows better than his vocals, though...he just has an epicstacular voice that no one can really replicate

Quote by eggsandham2