I've been writing a song but i want it to have a strong sense of terror/Horror about it. Can anybody suggest any Scales or chords or anything which would make a piece of music that sounds scary?

Thanks
Phrygian!

edit: or locrian, it has a weird vibe to that scale ...
Quote by bambi_slaughter

what sound does a baby make when you put it in a blender?
i dunno, i was to busy masturba ting.

Quote by maroon5mustdie
EVH. I saw him in concert. And his brother was seriously the worst bass player I've ever seen.

Quote by operation ktulu
if my guitar had a pussy, i would never leave my room
I've found Locrian ridiculously hard to use. Maybe I just need more practice with it, but every time I try writing a riff with Locrian, it just sounds like an unresolved major riff.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I was thinking of trying to incorporate a heart-beat effect for the intro. Any ideas on how to pull this off? i've tried and can't really get anything that sounds right.
This chord is pretty creepy sounding. No idea the name, but it evil

e|-0----|
b|-11--|
g|-9----|
d|-8----|
a|-7----|
e|-0----|

If anyone gets where I found this chord you win an e-cookie1 yay....?
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
well it goes 1-1-b5-1-4-1

edit. so im thinking......

E maj sus4 b5?

edit #2 (after rereading what he said) i though u said if u guess this chord u get an e cookie
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie
EVH. I saw him in concert. And his brother was seriously the worst bass player I've ever seen.

Quote by operation ktulu
Quote by Slaytanic1993
This chord is pretty creepy sounding. No idea the name, but it evil

If anyone gets where I found this chord you win an e-cookie1 yay....?

thats just a big Eb5 chord (or an inversion of a A# b5 chord) i use variations on that all the time..... so you got it from music theory. fork over my e-cookie b!tch!!!!!

to TS: learn theory, really stuff that you hear in movies and the like that sounds really tense is based alot on intervals and non-resolutions.
Quote by z4twenny
thats just a big Eb5 chord (or an inversion of a A# b5 chord) i use variations on that all the time..... so you got it from music theory. fork over my e-cookie b!tch!!!!!

to TS: learn theory, really stuff that you hear in movies and the like that sounds really tense is based alot on intervals and non-resolutions.

OH HELLZ NO! :P
U BETTER SPLIT ME A HALF OR SOMEONES GETTING IT TONIGHT!
Quote by bambi_slaughter

Quote by maroon5mustdie

Quote by operation ktulu
^ you get nothing and i expect my e-cookie within 24 hours. and for your statement there sir your e-cookie requirement is to be upgraded to an e-cookie cake.

Quote by ouchies
Its a lot of diminished stuff and chromatic modulations.

+1 , really though this is about it. music theory can catch you up on this kinda stuff. and remember alot of it is dynamics also, the jaws thing is just 2 friggin notes with a tempo increase and a velocity increase and it feels tense as it keep going until you get the orchestra striking all at once on that last bit to make you kinda jump. theres a ton of creepy things you can do.
not really theory related but one thing ive found that seems pretty creepy is to set a ton of reverb up and some delay, turn your volume knob down and hit some harmonics then swell the volume.

it sounds pretty scary if you do it right
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.