Hello,

I have been going over this in my head and on paper for a while now, and can't decide which is worth it. I have seen many 1995 Gibson Les Paul Classics for a Buy It Now price of $1699.99, and many more for less.

Or, I could get a Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top and buy a set of SD Alnico II's, install a Bone nut, and get new wiring and tone pots.

Which would be worth it?

Epiphone:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=350033761189&Category=33037

Gibson:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Classic_W0QQitemZ330218717387QQihZ014QQcategoryZ38086QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
High as tits
I'd say go with the Gibby. I'm a sucker for those '60's necks and even if it looks like a 'Paul, Epiphones never play like the real deal, nor do they feel like one.

That's just me though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Go for the Gibson.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Like I said in the Pit, don't spend that much money on a guitar unless you're really sure its the guitar for you and it doesn't seem like you are sure. Maybe spend some more time playing them both at a guitar store and then make your decision. And if you've never payed either of them... well don't even get me started.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Don't forget you can't upgrade the body and the neck on the epi... I'm sure the gibson has higher quality wood and workmanship. just my two cents
Quote by Ichimaru
Like I said in the Pit, don't spend that much money on a guitar unless you're really sure its the guitar for you and it doesn't seem like you are sure. Maybe spend some more time playing them both at a guitar store and then make your decision. And if you've never payed either of them... well don't even get me started.

Well thank god you don't have to, because I have played both the Classic Gibson and the Epi Standard a lot at GC. I have also played the Gibson Standard, and liked the Classic better. That is why I am deciding.

It isn't that I am not sure, it only comes down to money.

I either save up and get the classic towards the end of 08', or get the Epiphone now and upgrade all I can to have it be of good quality.
High as tits
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
Well thank god you don't have to, because I have played both the Classic Gibson and the Epi Standard a lot at GC. I have also played the Gibson Standard, and liked the Classic better. That is why I am deciding.

It isn't that I am not sure, it only comes down to money.

I either save up and get the classic towards the end of 08', or get the Epiphone now and upgrade all I can to have it be of good quality.

Well that's my point. If it was the right guitar for you, you wouldn't even consider the Epiphone.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Well the Epiphone played nicely as well, not as well as the Gibson, but it is a lot of money, which is a big deal for me seeing as I am going to College soon. I need to save up for books, food, gas, etc.
High as tits
the gibson
i have a classic in honeyburst and its well worth the extra money
ive played the epi and the gibson is by far the better of the two, even with the extra stuff on the epi the gibson will be better
I think I will just save up for the Gibson, since there will be plenty for sale by the end of the year still.

Anything else I need to know about the Classic?
High as tits
I have a Gibson Les Paul Classic and it IS the bomb.

I spent like about $2000 on it, but it's worth it. The epiphone is pretty good too though, but I personally don't think it's as good, but its close in sound and feel.

So it really depends if you want to spend the money on the Gibson.

Gibson all the way

Its like comparing:

A Honda Civic with a ton of upgrades

or a used Ferrari 360

plus, if you got the epiphone, you dont know how many times you will go

"damn, i wish i got the gibson"
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Classic. I'm normally a big fan of getting the mid and higher range Epis and upgrading them, but I'm also a fan of not putting my effort into anything. To get a Standard Epi up to the quality of the Classic does mean you're going to have to change almost every single thing about it... you may save a couple of hundred doing it, but I think for the sheer effort, final quality, and also long-term value, the Classic is the better way to go.
I have owned an epi lp standard for about a year now; I really liked it just off the rack, but eventually I wanted a little better tone and the stock pu's weren't doing the job.
So I hot-rodded it with gibson burstbucker pros, and my local tech installed the same pots, condensors, etc as the Gibson lp standard. I also replaced the grover tuners with sperzel locking turners and I rarely have to screw around with the tuning. It sounds totally awsome and doing a side by side comparison, the tone was definately on par with the Gibson; I'm sure there are those that could detect a difference, but for what I have invested in mine, the price difference was not worth it. (Gibson is a little heavier too).
When I purchased it I did some wheeling and dealing on a pkg deal including a epi triggerman 100H dsp head and 4 speaker cab. I figure with the deal I got, I have about $700.00 in the guitar including labor, mods and set-up. If budget is a concern, I highly recommend epi guitars, however as far as the epi Triggerman, it totally sucks. Sounded pretty decent when I first got it, but now it is totally muddy and I find myself constantly tweaking the **** out of it. Happened to plug into my son's Marshall MG15dfx tonight and was embarassed by how much better it sounded than the Triggerman (Incidently he has an epi SG-310 stock and its not too bad for a kids beginner guitar).
Now I'm sure I'm about to piss-off a lot of Gibson purists, but this is just my opinion. After reading countless forums; talking to knowledgable people who had nothing to gain monetarily; researching Gibson as a company and the changes that have been implimented in the last 20 to 30 odd years, I am now convinced that unless you are ordering something out of the custom shop, the price difference is not worth it. Gibson has become another ***** catering to Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, and the Christmas guitar markets.
If you are wanting to spend 2,000.00 and up, unless you are positive you want a gibson for life...or a very ****ing long time...you might consider looking into some of the custom guitar builders out there...Check out Ed Roman's web site; Even if you don't like his guitars, he provides a lot of information on how great guitars are made and provides some insight into what Gibson has become; well worth the read. A lot of top guitarist frequent his shop in Vegas and his Quicksilver's among others might be something to consider...Gibson just is no longer the Holy Grail it once was.

My epi will suffice for what i need until I can get the bucks to get something worthwhile; something I can leave for my son; and that's going to cost more than a couple large.

Because of the crap out there today, if you are really wanting something of the quality of the 50's and 60's Gibson's, 2,000 aint gonna cut it. **** conformity.
'Nuff said.
Idealism was in the air (besides the marijuana smoke,) and maybe what was happening at Woodstock would spread and a quiet revolution, or rather evolution of sorts would take place, disinvolving the US from an unnecessary war in Vietnam.”
Last edited by aint-dead-yet at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by aint-dead-yet
I have owned an epi lp standard for about a year now; I really liked it just off the rack, but eventually I wanted a little better tone and the stock pu's weren't doing the job.
So I hot-rodded it with gibson burstbucker pros, and my local tech installed the same pots, condensors, etc as the Gibson lp standard. I also replaced the grover tuners with sperzel locking turners and I rarely have to screw around with the tuning. It sounds totally awsome and doing a side by side comparison, the tone was definately on par with the Gibson; I'm sure there are those that could detect a difference, but for what I have invested in mine, the price difference was not worth it. (Gibson is a little heavier too).
When I purchased it I did some wheeling and dealing on a pkg deal including a epi triggerman 100H dsp head and 4 speaker cab. I figure with the deal I got, I have about $700.00 in the guitar including labor, mods and set-up. If budget is a concern, I highly recommend epi guitars, however as far as the epi Triggerman, it totally sucks. Sounded pretty decent when I first got it, but now it is totally muddy and I find myself constantly tweaking the **** out of it. Happened to plug into my son's Marshall MG15dfx tonight and was embarassed by how much better it sounded than the Triggerman (Incidently he has an epi SG-310 stock and its not too bad for a kids beginner guitar).
Now I'm sure I'm about to piss-off a lot of Gibson purists, but this is just my opinion. After reading countless forums; talking to knowledgable people who had nothing to gain monetarily; researching Gibson as a company and the changes that have been implimented in the last 20 to 30 odd years, I am now convinced that unless you are ordering something out of the custom shop, the price difference is not worth it. Gibson has become another ***** catering to Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, and the Christmas guitar markets.
If you are wanting to spend 2,000.00 and up, unless you are positive you want a gibson for life...or a very ****ing long time...you might consider looking into some of the custom guitar builders out there...Check out Ed Roman's web site; Even if you don't like his guitars, he provides a lot of information on how great guitars are made and provides some insight into what Gibson has become; well worth the read. A lot of top guitarist frequent his shop in Vegas and his Quicksilver's among others might be something to consider...Gibson just is no longer the Holy Grail it once was.

My epi will suffice for what i need until I can get the bucks to get something worthwhile; something I can leave for my son; and that's going to cost more than a couple large.

Because of the crap out there today, if you are really wanting something of the quality of the 50's and 60's Gibson's, 2,000 aint gonna cut it. **** conformity.
'Nuff said.

It's a long quote, and I wonder if I bought my Epi LP Std Plus with Burstbuckers and Sperzels, etc. from him cuz my Epi plays and sounds as good as a Gibson LP Classic. The Gibsons MIGHT be better looking, but they're NOT $1600.00 better. My cost < $400.00 used but like new. The ONLY difference is a poly finish on the Epi compared to a nitro on the Gibson. I'll challenge anyone to tell the difference in tone. Buy the Gibson if you're an investor, buy the upgraded Epi if you're a musician.
Quote by wildyoda2
It's a long quote, and I wonder if I bought my Epi LP Std Plus with Burstbuckers and Sperzels, etc. from him cuz my Epi plays and sounds as good as a Gibson LP Classic. The Gibsons MIGHT be better looking, but they're NOT $1600.00 better. My cost < $400.00 used but like new. The ONLY difference is a poly finish on the Epi compared to a nitro on the Gibson. I'll challenge anyone to tell the difference in tone. Buy the Gibson if you're an investor, buy the upgraded Epi if you're a musician.

It may sound as good but an Epiphone will NEVER play like a Gibson. I've owned a whole bunch of Epiphone Les Paul Standards and they sounded pretty awesome and played very well but they never, ever, play like a Gibson.

They're still a great guitar and all. One of the best guitars you can get for 400 bucks but every time I've had one I've always felt that there was something missing sound wise.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to tell the difference between them if they were both stock guitars, through the same amp, with the same settings.

Especially the neck pickup. Epiphone neck pickups make me want to gag.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
You'd be surprised how easy it is to tell the difference between them if they were both stock guitars, through the same amp, with the same settings.

No argument there H4 and really no surprise at all; However the subject is between the cost of a Gibson Classic or an Epi with upgrades. Not stock guitars.
I kept the stock pu's, pots, selector switch because they are totally worthless. Anyone blowing out any of these components are going to upgrade unless they have significant brain damage.
If I get rid of the epi, I will replace the stock **** and sell the upgrades if I don't use them.
Something else I just recently started doing is I replaced my strings with Elixer's. At around 14.00 bucks a pop, I was a little reluctant but the sweetness in sound and the feel is ****ing awsome.
Can't say anything about the claim of 3 to 5 times longer lasting as I've only had them a couple of weeks, but that's close to 50 hrs of playing for me, and they still sound great.
****! I'm starting to sound like one of those Guitar Center assholes!
Later
Idealism was in the air (besides the marijuana smoke,) and maybe what was happening at Woodstock would spread and a quiet revolution, or rather evolution of sorts would take place, disinvolving the US from an unnecessary war in Vietnam.”
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Especially the neck pickup. Epiphone neck pickups make me want to gag.
Other way around. Their neck pickups are pretty nice and beefy (on most models), but Epi's bridge pickups suck hugely, unless you're buying an Elitist or a signature model with non-Epi pickups (like the Tony Iommi SG).
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It may sound as good but an Epiphone will NEVER play like a Gibson. I've owned a whole bunch of Epiphone Les Paul Standards and they sounded pretty awesome and played very well but they never, ever, play like a Gibson.

They're still a great guitar and all. One of the best guitars you can get for 400 bucks but every time I've had one I've always felt that there was something missing sound wise.

I agree with you here. I really like Epiphones because they're cheaper and they're close to Gibsons soundwise and with the feel of the guitar. But when I play the guitar, I can sense something that is missing. But I really like them and think they're really great guitars for $400+.

I have a Gibson LP Classic right now, and I think I'm going to get an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus next. (Since I've been needing another guitar that I can use with a similar tone and that I can use more, so the Gibson won't get rusty hardware that fast.)

Quote by bokuho
Other way around. Their neck pickups are pretty nice and beefy (on most models), but Epi's bridge pickups suck hugely, unless you're buying an Elitist or a signature model with non-Epi pickups (like the Tony Iommi SG).

I always found Epiphone neck pickups to be overly muddy.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by aint-dead-yet

'Nuff said.

I hope you realize the Gibson's I am looking at are mid 90's models, not the newer models with chambered bodies. It will cost me aroun $1500 for it.

I went to GC today and plugged both an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top into a Marshall Vintage Modern, and then compared them both to an 06 Gibson Les Paul Classic.

The Classic blew them both out of the water, playability wise, and sound wise. The Epi didn't feel as nice as the classic, and was much lighter, and the neck was mediocre.

I have decided on getting the Classic in Vintage Sunburst.

Thanks for all of the info.
High as tits