I can't seem to get my Ibanez rg350 in tune these past few weeks. Im able to get about 4 strings in perfect tune but the others are a fair bit out. It's really annoying, tune one, others drop in tune ect... I over tune a string and try to bring the others up but no luck. I was able for about the first month and a half of these strings to get the guitar in tune. The strings are about 2 months old. The question is do you think the older strings is what is causing the tuning problems?
Doesn't actually sound like a string problem at all to me, just sounds like normal behaviour for a floyd bridge. Evem guitars with locking nuts gradually lose tuning - it might simply be that the little tuning discrepancies that could easily be resolved with the fine tuners previously have become a little bigger.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Doesn't actually sound like a string problem at all to me, just sounds like normal behaviour for a floyd bridge. Evem guitars with locking nuts gradually lose tuning - it might simply be that the little tuning discrepancies that could easily be resolved with the fine tuners previously have become a little bigger.

Why would they become a little bigger?

Basically, the major problems started when I detuned the strings because the bridge was pointing a bit high and causing problems. So I gradually got the bridge back down to a good position by loosening the strings, then when I tuned it up again it just won't get in full tune. If you get 4 strings in tune the other two will be really flat.
Quote by Locomo
Why would they become a little bigger?

Basically, the major problems started when I detuned the strings because the bridge was pointing a bit high and causing problems. So I gradually got the bridge back down to a good position by loosening the strings, then when I tuned it up again it just won't get in full tune. If you get 4 strings in tune the other two will be really flat.

Okay you can scratch what I said - your problem is BECAUSE you detuned all the strings, so you created your own huge tuning discrepancy.

Floyds float, they rely on the balance of tension between strings and springs. That means everytime you adjust the tuning of one string it'll send the others out of tune. If you were just doing small adjustments with the fine tuners before you may not have noticed, but anything much more than a 1/4 tone and you'll notice a drastic effect - particularly when adjusting the lower strings.

What you SHOULD have done is tighten the springs in the back cavity then re-tuned. If you detuned to get the bridge back level it'll just go back to exactly the same place once you get it tuned back to pitch.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks for the advice. Adjusting the springs a bit brought it up nicely.