What is the prefered way of playing this run fromm Dream Theater's Overture 1928 (sorry for the messey tab not to sure how to get it correct :P)

e
b 9-10-9-7---------------------------------------------- |
g ------------9-7-6-9-7-6------------------------------ |
d ------------------ 9-7-6-9-7-6-----------------------|
a -------------------------------- 9-7-5-9-7-5-------- |
e -------------------------------------------- 9-7-5-9-7-|
Amp/Effects:

Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Tc-Electronic G-system
Line6 DM4

Guitars:

EBMM JP6 BFR
EBMM JP7
Taylor 314ce
I'm actually in the process of learning this song too.

I haven't gotten to the solo's yet, but this is the only part that has yet to trouble me.
My stragety, using Guitar Pro. put repeats around the bar, and put it half-speed. Play it untill your completely comfortable with it at the given pace, then increase the bpm by 7-8. And just repeat it!
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Hmm, I didnt know guitar Pro had a 1/2 speed option. I dont mean to hijack, but how do you slow it down?
If you're talking about the preferred picking technique, I'd probably use strict alternate picking. Try that out as well as economy picking and see what works best for you.
Learn it in strict alternate.
Then learn it in economy picking.
Then learn it legato.
I just gave up when I tried :P haha
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
Quote by A-5best
Hmm, I didnt know guitar Pro had a 1/2 speed option. I dont mean to hijack, but how do you slow it down?

You can either use the option on the left to change the tempo exactly (for thing like dream theater with tempo changes this wouldn't work so well) or use thing option on the right to change it to 0.25, 0.5 or 0.75 times the original speed.

Also just to the left of the speed options there's the loop button which has a speed trainer which works pretty well but you can only go through the selected part once at each speed.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.