So I have this hour and a half programming class at school every day and have been trying to install / play different games throughout the semester. The best thing we can get running on the computers is CS 1.6 and it's getting kinda old.

My question is, If I bring in a bootable linux disc, will I be able to boot to linux (allowing me to put in game cd's and install them) and play these games? Also, I do not want to cause any permanent changes to the computers, I just want to be able to put the linux disc in and boot it, then after class, restore it to the windows 2000 it is running.
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Well if you have games that run on linux, go for it..

Nothing wrong with CS 1.6 though..

I dunno what version of linux to try, not really up on that stuff. I have a ubuntu live cd, its pretty cool, i can't work any of the crazy cmd-like thing who's name surpasses me.
Yea, the only problem is that the games may not be supported by linux, but its worth giving it a shot. Would be fun to do either way.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
As far as I know, pretty much nothing is supported for linux, apart from ethernet.

You know what I mean, I doubt a company would release a game for such a narrow margin.
That brings up a thought, could I install the game on the hard drive, boot to windows 2000 and play it? The only trouble is installation.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Exactly, my brief experience with linux tole me that I can't open .exe files, therefore no setup/installation is possible.
a) Have fun getting any decent games to work on Linux. You'll need Wine or Cedega.

b) You're talking about using a linux Live CD which is running an operating system from RAM and the CD and is a lot slower than running from a HD install. Obviously bad for playing games.

c) In my experience school computers are **** and won't perform well in any reasonably modern game (mostly due to integrated graphics and low end processors, and mobos, and RAM...)

By all means try, I just think you'd be wasting your time.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
install games on a flash drive (or ipod if you need more space) and get a no cd crack then just plug it in and play
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Axeman99
a) Have fun getting any decent games to work on Linux. You'll need Wine or Cedega.

b) You're talking about using a linux Live CD which is running an operating system from RAM and the CD and is a lot slower than running from a HD install. Obviously bad for playing games.

c) In my experience school computers are **** and won't perform well in any reasonably modern game (mostly due to integrated graphics and low end processors, and mobos, and RAM...)

Precisely.

EDIT:
Quote by Vandals572
install games on a flash drive (or ipod if you need more space) and get a no cd crack then just plug it in and play

Ehh yeah, gonna need one fast flash drive for that..
Quote by CLVPX
Well if you have games that run on linux, go for it..

Nothing wrong with CS 1.6 though..

I dunno what version of linux to try, not really up on that stuff. I have a ubuntu live cd, its pretty cool, i can't work any of the crazy cmd-like thing who's name surpasses me.

Terminal.
Running Ubuntu 7.1 now actually.
Slowly getting used to it.
Is there any way to do this?

all my ideas got shot down, lol.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by SoccerRM1
Is there any way to do this?

all my ideas got shot down, lol.

I'd say your best bet is trying to create yourself an administrator account on Windows 2000 which would then let you install games to the hard drive.

I think theres a way to do it by booting from a windows CD but I can't remember. Depends on what restrictions your school has placed on the computers though.
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Axeman99

I concur for the most part. However...

Get a Knoppix CD, boot that up, install Dosbox (very small program) and run Commander Keen 4! and plenty of other DOS games. Hours of fun!
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Axeman99
I'd say your best bet is trying to create yourself an administrator account on Windows 2000 which would then let you install games to the hard drive.

I think theres a way to do it by booting from a windows CD but I can't remember. Depends on what restrictions your school has placed on the computers though.

Creating an admin account seems pretty risky, considering theres a few kids that got completely ****ed by sending a message around the entire network to every computer.

I might just stick to CS, and any other games I can get to run out of Steam.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by Muphin
I concur for the most part. However...

Get a Knoppix CD, boot that up, install Dosbox (very small program) and run Commander Keen 4! and plenty of other DOS games. Hours of fun!

haha, there are pleanty of n64 emulators and such floating around our network, I was just seeing if i can take it to the next level.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Haha I forgot DOSbox works on linux. I remember playing Elder Scrolls: Arena on it a while back. (trying to anyway, it ran very slowly)

Edit: That message thing you're referring to TS, was it net send by any chance? I knew someone who stupidly send a message using net send * <message>, every single student and member of staff got it. Needless to say he was banned of the computers for a while.
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Axeman99 at Mar 12, 2008,
Quote by Axeman99
Haha I forgot DOSbox works on linux. I remember playing Elder Scrolls: Arena on it a while back. (trying to anyway, it ran very slowly)

Edit: That message thing you're referring to TS, was it net send by any chance? I knew someone who stupidly send a message using net send * <message>, every single student and member of staff got it. Needless to say he was banned of the computers for a while.

I'm not completely sure what a net send is, but the way they did it was by writing a small program in notepad and saving it as some type of file, then running it.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Yeah it would have been a batch file (.bat) containing the net send command.
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Live discs run slow as hell. It wouldn't be worth it.
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny
Woah, woah. Back the hell up.

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Of course he got all the girls, he's Rick Astley.
Me and my friends really hate our school computer tech so we're gonna install Linux on every possible computer we can get our hands on for the senior prank.
The person below me is probably a homosexual.

Bringing COMMUNISM into our public schools? NO THANKS!

Down with open source!!!!!1!!!1

[/sarcasm]

Bring Warcraft III with a nocd crack on a flash drive, that'd be awesome and most modern PC's would play it even with onboard video.

Those Live-CD linux distro's wont run many games, or very fast. They'll lack the drivers (Or whatever they're called in Linux) for hardware rendering.
if you do programming during your programming class this becomes a nonissue imho