If an F major and D minor scale have the same notes, and the only difference is that they start on different notes within the scale, if you're looking at a piece of music with a key signature of a flat on the G string, how can you tell if it's F major or D minor?

Bear with me, I have a very basic knowledge of theory...
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
usually u can tell by the "sadness" of the piece and also, theoretically speaking, u could check the last chord that's played (usually, in regular music, the piece will end in its tonic)

also, u can check the chordal progression
Due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off
umm as far as i know u really can't. The only difference is there tonic.

If im wrong i hope someone corrects me!

Edit: ^ true the piece will probably end on a perfect cadence in most cases, but there's no deffinate way. Just listen to the piece.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Quote by GodofCheesecake
if you're looking at a piece of music with a key signature of a flat on the G string, how can you tell if it's F major or D minor?

What do you mean flat on the G string? if your in F major or D minor then you would have a B flat in the key signature. Anyways, the only real way to tell is by listening to or looking over the song to discover its tonality.
Quote by Windwaker
What do you mean flat on the G string? if your in F major or D minor then you would have a B flat in the key signature. Anyways, the only real way to tell is by listening to or looking over the song to discover its tonality.

I don't mean a flat on the actual note on the string, I mean when you're looking at a sheet of music, and over on the far left, on the key signature next to the treble clef, there's a flat. On the G string.

There's probably a better way to say it than that, but once again I know nothing about theory...

EDIT: oh snap, I just realized in my head I combined the music staff with guitar tabs and mistook the "b" line for the G sting on the guitar... Ok, you're right, wow I feel stupid
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Major if its sounds major; minor if its sounds minor. If it goes through key changes, then you generally go for the major because you use that as you root position in most keys, even if it doesn't start on the major.

Look at the chords, that's how you know what the composer meant, ie:

Autumn Leaves ( I use ^ for the triangle that means major7)
Am///D9///G^///C^///Fdim//Em7//B7

The key signature would be written with F# only, it means the key is A minor (relative major= G major) because that's where it resolves.

Theory is just a way of communicating, break the rules if it makes it work better; just say how it sounds.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
I don't mean a flat on the actual note on the string, I mean when you're looking at a sheet of music, and over on the far left, on the key signature next to the treble clef, there's a flat. On the G string.

There's probably a better way to say it than that, but once again I know nothing about theory...

EDIT: oh snap, I just realized in my head I combined the music staff with guitar tabs and mistook the "b" line for the G sting on the guitar... Ok, you're right, wow I feel stupid

theres a b flat everywhere, and normally you can tell by listening and looking at the chord progression.
If the chords constantly want to resolve to F major, then it's F major. It they want to resolve to D minor, then it's D minor. Don't think that just because two scales share the same notes that they are the same. "Their" and "There" aren't the same, just as "Blew" and "Blue" aren't the same thing. It just depends on the context in which the chords are being used.
Perhaps he meant A-Dorian?
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
i think i remember reading something about you can tell by the leading tone or something?
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
In most classical pieces, do a chordal analysis of the first measure, because a lot of pieces will begin on the tonic chord. Then figure out where the chords seem to want to resolve, as someone else suggested. Chordal analysis will help if you can do it, as there are often quite a few I and V chords which should be able to help you.
Quote by C.C. Deville
i think i remember reading something about you can tell by the leading tone or something?

that was probably saying if its in a harmonic minor key. if you have a Bb in the key signature and a # before a C then you could tell it's d harmonic minor.

i don't know, just a guess.

but to the thread starter, usually you just look to the beginning and end. look for the chord tones of a major or minor chord and it'll tell you what key it's in.
Quote by GodofCheesecake

I have totally done that before
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by Paquijón
I believe this is actually in the key of E minor.

No, the Fdim wouldn't fit (I think...).
Am///D9///G^///C^///Fdim//Em7//B7

It's definitely Emin. It has to be iv - V of III - III - VI - (shift to Ebminor)vii of i(shift back) - i - V

That progression makes sense even with the Fdim because of the strong i - V that follows.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination