My long search for an amp is done. Today I went into a local music store and i played all the amps i could with the settings I liked. In the end one amp really stuck out to me.

Ladies and gentlemen i bought a Randall RG75DG3! Im getting it in my house tomorow night.

Now... what are some comments, suggestions, maybe settings that sound good with it, experiences with it that you have for this amp?
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
With the setting you like? Does that mean you used the same settings on every amp? Seems like a bad way to judge an amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by kyle62
After a 'long search', that's really the best you could come up with? Good luck to you anyway

+1.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
i didnt use the same settings on each one no. They only had some marshall AVT's, some line sixes, randalls, and a peavey XXT (or XXL or something) head (no cab). I didnt wanna blow 2000 bucks on the kerry king head they had. the randall half stacks were too expensive when the randall little combo provided the same.

The settings i used varied per amp. I played with the settings on all of them untill i liked the sound.

EDIT: plus, what would you have gotten with those options? an AVT? a Line six? The peavey was alright too, it was my second option, but it sounded a little thin, and plus it was 600 dollars for the head, plus i didnt want a 4x12 cab, and the store said that a 2x12 would take 6-8 weeks to deliver and it would cost another 500.

I think i made the right choice.
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
Last edited by Ultimate_Gio92 at Mar 12, 2008,
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
i didnt use the same settings on each one no. They only had some marshall AVT's, some line sixes, randalls, and a peavey XXT (or XXL or something) head (no cab). I didnt wanna blow 2000 bucks on the kerry king head they had. the randall half stacks were too expensive when the randall little combo provided the same.

The settings i used varied per amp. I played with the settings on all of them untill i liked the sound.

EDIT: plus, what would you have gotten with those options? an AVT? a Line six? The peavey was alright too, it was my second option, but it sounded a little thin, and plus it was 600 dollars for the head, plus i didnt want a 4x12 cab, and the store said that a 2x12 would take 6-8 weeks to deliver and it would cost another 500.

I think i made the right choice.

You should never return to that store.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
hahah. So do you guys think its a bad amp then? like would you rate it with a line six spider 3 and marshall MG?

I personaly like it alot, really loud, its got good reverb built into it. the distortion is just what i like. Oddly enough thoe, on every amp i tried , pinch harmonics didnt come in.. that may be me thoe. Even on the kerry king sig i couldnt get a good pinch harmonic and my gain was at 9, mids were at 3.5, lows were at 8, treble was at 7 and contour was on 5.5

EDIT: that was on the randall.

on the kerry king it was similar and same problem. is it me?
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

PROFANER
It depends. I personally like Tube Distortion a lot (though I currently don't have a tube amp) but some people swear by Solid Stae distortion like some Randall's or even the Fender Metalhead. It's your call. I just hope you don't regret the purcahse down the line. In my experiences, Randall's havent been the most versatile amps
The only other amp i REALLY REALLY liked was the peavy 5150. but looking at the prices.. ouch. (this applies to 6505 too)

They had some roland microcubes there too... but i didnt need one of those....

Quote by nedthehead
It depends. I personally like Tube Distortion a lot (though I currently don't have a tube amp) but some people swear by Solid Stae distortion like some Randall's or even the Fender Metalhead. It's your call. I just hope you don't regret the purcahse down the line. In my experiences, Randall's havent been the most versatile amps

In terms of versatility. I play thrash metal mainly, death metal secondary, prog thirdly (dream theater, symphony X like), and lastly NWOBHM

In my opinion it was a good amp with a good amount of distortion. Maybe one day ill get a boss metalcore to go with it.... but for now the amp has enough gain for what i need. My main criteria for amps is Gain, then tone, then volume, then lastly fancy gadgets and addons like reverb, effects, and effects loop.

EDIT: Side note.. this is my 1000'th non pit post!
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

PROFANER
Quote by acdcrocks0323
You could have gotten a used 5150 for $550 or a Randall RG50TC or B-52 AT-112 for the same price. I just say it was a bad decision on your part.

+1

Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
In my opinion it was a good amp with a good amount of distortion. Maybe one day ill get a boss metalcore to go with it.... but for now the amp has enough gain for what i need. My main criteria for amps is Gain, then tone, then volume, then lastly fancy gadgets and addons like reverb, effects, and effects loop.

Sounds like someone doesn't know what good tone sounds like.

Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
Even on the kerry king sig i couldnt get a good pinch harmonic and my gain was at 9, mids were at 3.5, lows were at 8, treble was at 7 and contour was on 5.5

Don't scoop your mids.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
The only other amp i REALLY REALLY liked was the peavy 5150. but looking at the prices.. ouch. (this applies to 6505 too)

They had some roland microcubes there too... but i didnt need one of those....

In terms of versatility. I play thrash metal mainly, death metal secondary, prog thirdly (dream theater, symphony X like), and lastly NWOBHM

]
Haha, haven't heard Symphony X in a while...

I wouldn't worry too much.

You could certainly have got better amps for the price, but the fact is that you used your ears to make the decision and that's got to count for something. If the novelty wears off (which it will eventually), you can sell it and trade up - which is the best part of guitar amps I reckon. I got from a Kustom to a Boogie just through buying and selling, in fact I might be selling the Boogie shortly to get a Blue Angel - and I reckon I can get more than I originally paid for it!
Quote by acdcrocks0323
You could have gotten a used 5150 for $550 or a Randall RG50TC or B-52 AT-112 for the same price. I just say it was a bad decision on your part.

used 5150 for 550?????? where??? and no stores in ontario (that i know of) or even in quebec have B-52's... and I dont feel safe with blind ordering an amp off of musicians friend without hearing it with a dean FBD played through it.

one question... whats a slave output?
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

PROFANER
Quote by MatrixClaw
+1

Sounds like someone doesn't know what good tone sounds like.

Don't scoop your mids.

I never tried the boss metalcore yet, but everyone says it has insane amounts of gain. Thats kinda what i need... unless you have another suggestion?

oh and i dont scoop them all the way, but i just didnt like how it sounded with the mids up too high
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

PROFANER

someone goes out, tries the amps available to him, and buys the one he liked the most, and you guys try to embarrass him? seriously, grow up. the guy has gone out and done what we always tell people to do, he's gone out and used his ears. don't try to make the guy feel like he's made a mistake when he quite clearly hasn't. he's tried amps out and bought the one he liked the most.

threadstarter, i hope you enjoy your amp.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!

someone goes out, tries the amps available to him, and buys the one he liked the most, and you guys try to embarrass him? seriously, grow up. the guy has gone out and done what we always tell people to do, he's gone out and used his ears. don't try to make the guy feel like he's made a mistake when he quite clearly hasn't. he's tried amps out and bought the one he liked the most.

Thanks man!

a little criticism is good too, i know my options, and i like this amp because its good for band practise and some gigging (if its gonna be micd up, 100 watts SS is probably more than enough)

But it was a ****ty music store, but i didnt wanna spend money on train to visit stores in toronto that had similar selections, i did what UG tells everyone to do.

But my question is, what is slave output?
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

PROFANER
Did you get it from Gear?

If I can't hear you practicing after school, you aren't playing loud enough. Nice work.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Quote by xTJx
Did you get it from Gear?

If I can't hear you practicing after school, you aren't playing loud enough. Nice work.

Yeah i got it from gear, they dont have a good selection, but w/e... its a nice amp for the price.

plus now i dont need to spend money on a reverb/chorus pedal. all i really want now is whammy pedal, wah pedal, and maybe a phaser/flanger

but im still very curious as to what the slave output is... cab related?
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

PROFANER
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
Yeah i got it from gear, they dont have a good selection, but w/e... its a nice amp for the price.

plus now i dont need to spend money on a reverb/chorus pedal. all i really want now is whammy pedal, wah pedal, and maybe a phaser/flanger

but im still very curious as to what the slave output is... cab related?

My only guess is that it's something similar to an Attenuator. I have no idea though.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Quote by xTJx
My only guess is that it's something similar to an Attenuator. I have no idea though.

Hmm.. its been bugging me for a while now. Oh well

EDIT:

Quote by kyle62
A slave output allows you to send the signal to another amp, so it effectively gives you the option of using a different power section.

THANK YOU!

does this mean i can hook up a cab to it? will the amp and the cab play together.. or will only the cab play?

EDIT: answers to my last questions will be awarded with E-cookies
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

PROFANER
^The slave will send the Randalls preamp out into a more powerful amp, so you are essentially using your randall but it will be louder. And no, the Slave won't power a speaker.

However, if you unhook the speaker in your amp and buy a 1/4" input jack and solder it to the speaker wire that went into your amps speaker you can use your amp to go to a cab. But your amps speaker wont be doing anything, your amp will be a head pretty much.

Can I have my cookie now .
Last edited by DeadMansCurve at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by DeadMansCurve
^The slave will send the Randalls preamp out into a more powerful amp, so you are essentially using your randall but it will be louder. And no, the Slave won't power a speaker.

However, if you unhook the speaker in your amp and buy a 1/4" input jack and solder it to the speaker wire that went into your amps speaker you can use your amp to go to a cab. But your amps speaker wont be doing anything, your amp will be a head pretty much.

Can I have my cookie now .

Thank you very much, yes... you win one E-cookie.

This wont be bugging me as much anymore, i dont like having something and not kn owing what its for.
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

PROFANER
i use the Slave Output on my Randall MTS to go into the church's PA system. but it also has an Extension Out for cabs.

sounds like ur happy with it so we're glad for that!!

tho my randall is definitely better ALL tube AND versatility to the MAX.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Were not trying to embarass you or make you feel bad, we're trying to help you. Maybe in a year or so you'll start developing an ear for tone, and realize your amp just doesn't cut it anymore. If you buy the better amp now, you'll save yourself time and money.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
If that amp has what you like great. It wouldn't be my choice but every ear is different.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by mike.h
Were not trying to embarass you or make you feel bad, we're trying to help you. Maybe in a year or so you'll start developing an ear for tone, and realize your amp just doesn't cut it anymore. If you buy the better amp now, you'll save yourself time and money.

You are right. My dream amp is either a mesa boogie triple rec/dual rec, 6505, or a good marshall JCM.

Right now those options arent cost effective or room effective. they cost alot of money, and my room just isnt big enough for a head and a 2x12 at the moment. Plus in a few years when i get better, then i can reward myself with one
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

PROFANER
Don't even listen to these people, if it's not a jcm800 or some fantastic amp then it's crap. That's basically the philosophy here. Oh and if you do have a good amp then they proboably think you don't deserve it.
Quote by Cool55155
Don't even listen to these people, if it's not a jcm800 or some fantastic amp then it's crap. That's basically the philosophy here. Oh and if you do have a good amp then they proboably think you don't deserve it.

It does happen that people try to help... from their experience (or other people's).
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...
Quote by Cool55155
Don't even listen to these people, if it's not a jcm800 or some fantastic amp then it's crap.

Where do you get this crap? No one is saying that.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!

i think the comments were coming off the fact that it sounds like he went to the store ONCE and played everything he could and bought something immidiately. IMO thats not a long search. my search has been going on for more than a year and a half and nearing its end. thats a long search.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by giternator
i think the comments were coming off the fact that it sounds like he went to the store ONCE and played everything he could and bought something immidiately. IMO thats not a long search. my search has been going on for more than a year and a half and nearing its end. thats a long search.

Ive been looking for a new amp since september... its not a year but w/e...

and i didnt look once either. ive been going to long and mcquaide, steves music, and gear music every now and then to try out amps. Thing is.. the amps I really want arent cost effective at the moment. In a few years... sure. For now this is great for band and small gigs.
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

PROFANER
Good choice on the amp, Randall RGs are a pretty solid investment (even if the older ones are better ) that sound good and have no problems competing with a drumset...

If you get the chance, try out some different preamp tubes, the stock one is a bit dull IMO - It's possible to get more high-mids and highs with other tubes, which will give you a more aggressive sound, as well as more cut in the mix.
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
You are right. My dream amp is either a mesa boogie triple rec/dual rec, 6505, or a good marshall JCM.

Right now those options arent cost effective or room effective. they cost alot of money, and my room just isnt big enough for a head and a 2x12 at the moment. Plus in a few years when i get better, then i can reward myself with one

I would buy a MicroCube and save the rest up for a better amp. Dont waste money just to get an amp you dont really want.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted