Right so... we've just got rid of our frontman/guitarist and we're going for a Machine head/System of a down/Pantera/Damageplan sort of vibe if that makes sense. But down to business, we can't decide to tune to drop B or drop C, any opinions?
I'd say C for that type of music. You can do a bit more with it than just breakdowns and brutal stuff. Not that thats bad, I just dont think thats what your going for.
Quote by bodomchld4
dont be trendy
go for standard or if you must drop-d

correct-o

Quote by Joelieo
To those suggesting standard and drop D. I don't like those tunings, they don't do it for me.

why, not br00tal enough for you?

(I had to do it)
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Last edited by EVH92 at Mar 12, 2008,
my band plays in drop b. it just takes some relay heavy gauge strings, and maybe some nut filing. and MAYBE some truss rod adjustment. i never touch the thing though. why cant you guys play in b?
Any thing below drop c doesnt make sense to me. I mean, thats what basses are for, and if you start going that low on a guitar, it just sounds like crap
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Quote by bodomchld4
dont be trendy
go for standard or if you must drop-d

way to be closed minded

I don't get what's up with all this alternate tuning hate, I personally don't go lower than drop C on my sixes, but if someone likes using B who cares?

And drop B is definitely not getting into bass territory, that's just approaching the godly sounds of a seven in standard
Quote by EVH92
Any thing below drop c doesnt make sense to me. I mean, thats what basses are for, and if you start going that low on a guitar, it just sounds like crap

listen to the bands "bring me the horizon" or "parkway drive" and youll understand tunings below c.
seven string, drop-A
Quote by d. b. cooper
I listen to metal, therefore I do not have feelings...
My band uses drop-C. It's my favorite tuning.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Dont go drop C

Doing that DOESNT make you "heavier" or "more metal"

Look at all the classic metal bands

The most they would do is drop d
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by Teh GIR
Dont go drop C

Doing that DOESNT make you "heavier" or "more metal"

Look at all the classic metal bands

The most they would do is drop d

Its not about being more "br00tal" than the people using some other tuning (well it probably is for some lame ass people), its about getting more low notes and a different sound than you would in standard or drop d (but you lose some high notes). I currently have my acoustic in D standard because i like how it sounds and if I want to play in standard I'll slap on a capo.
Seven string Drop A like the guy above said. You can still get all the cool low tunings without stumbling over wet noodle like strings that have been way detuned.
Open C.

For a more 'metal as ****' solution, try Open C on a seven string. GCGCGCE! Gotta love that low G
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
do what i do...make everything flat then drop d you sound really heavy and nevermore uses it
Depends on your local music scene in my opinion....if you were around her I would say C because we have a bunch of Hardcore bands that all use Drop B....Try to stand out a little...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
try drop Db thats what my band uses
schecter hellraiser c-1 FR custom w/ EMGs 81/85 and EMG-EXG expander
yamaha rbx170 4 string
peavey grind BXP NTB 4 string
jcm2000 dsl 50
1960a cab 4x12
roland micro cube 2w
electro harmonix double muff
zoom g2.1u
Open G and use a slide.

SLIDE METAL!!!!!
Quote by Vol=11
listen to the bands "bring me the horizon" or "parkway drive" and youll understand tunings below c.

Eww, you're trying to make him like the tuning, not want to stab himself in the ears with a cable end.

TS, try them both, see what you're more comfortable writing in.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Personally I'd go drop B.
That way you can write songs in drop b, and use a capo when needed for songs in drop c.
Quote by JD Red LP
way to be closed minded

I don't get what's up with all this alternate tuning hate, I personally don't go lower than drop C on my sixes, but if someone likes using B who cares?

And drop B is definitely not getting into bass territory, that's just approaching the godly sounds of a seven in standard

... thats why they make baritones
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Tuning hardly matters. You can make good music on whatever you want. I mean, Necrophagist uses D-standard, and they are brutal.

Then there's SOAD, who uses drop C, and are not nearly as heavy. It really doesn't matter.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
i would go with drop B or Drop D i personl use D standtard but that's just me