I've been looking at the tab for the top gun theme song. the main riff isn't really complicated but i think its a fun song to play. Im pretty sure the song starts off in the key of C but then I think it changes key in part of the riff. Im not sure which key it changes to though. My question is, if I wanted to make up my own little solo for the song, which key would i solo in? Would I solo in the key that the song starts in or the key that it changes to or both? And, does this apply for all songs that change keys? Thanks.
You change key with the song.

For Example;
Say your in Dm, and it goes to Gm.

The section in Dm would use Dm *Or Fmajor*.
The section in Gm would use Gm *Or Bbmajor*
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Quote by Carl6661

For Example;

F major is not the same thing as D minor, nor is Bb major the same as G minor.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Ok could you guys confirm that this song does infact change keys? Here's the tab,

|---------|--------------|---------------|---------------|-----------|
|---------|----8--8--6-5-|-6p5-----------|-5----5-6--5---|-3s5--3----|
|---------|-5------------|-----7--7--5h7-|----7--------5-|-----------|

a few more bars and it goes to this: sorry the tab looks like crap

------------------------|---------------------|
|----------14--14--12p11-|-12p11---------------|
|-11---------------------|-------13--13--11h13-|
|------------------------|---------------------|

How would i tell if the original solo is in the starting key or the key that the song changes to?
The song does in fact change keys. I believe it goes up a minor third, but don't quote me on that.

When the key changes, you normally change the key of your solo the same amount. For instance, if you modulate from E to G, you modulate your solo from E to G as well.
what he said^

jazz modulation ftw!
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by Carl6661

For Example;

I get what you're saying, but the relative/majors and minors can't be completely interchanged. Just because they have the same notes doesn't mean it's right to use one for the other, as they have completely different tonal centers and applications.
Quote by :-D
I get what you're saying, but the relative/majors and minors can't be completely interchanged. Just because they have the same notes doesn't mean it's right to use one for the other, as they have completely different tonal centers and applications.

Well, yes. Thats fairly obvious.

What I was getting at was the fact that, for example. Eminor and Gmajor are made up of the same notes. Same goes for the key's I mentioned. and any other key you want!
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
The song does in fact change keys. I believe it goes up a minor third, but don't quote me on that.

Isn't it a by a flat 5th? C Maj -> F# Maj
I haven't heard the song in a long time, so if you've analyzed the melody and are confident, then you're probably right, though a flat fifth would be Gb Major rather than F#.

Edit: Upon looking at my tab, you're right. My tab actually has it going to F#, though you could write it either way.
Modulation, I think, is the way to go.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
If the song is played in Gm then you play lead in Gm. If the whole song switches keys than you swith lead to whatever the root key is. Rule applies to all songs.