Yes, another one of these threads... The difference here is that I have to play by myself. It's kind of a lame show set up by my local 4-H group, and the only people that will be attending are old people that go to my church, and they can't really find a lot of talent that want to play at it (probably because they're calling it the 'Cedar Grove Idol'... you know, like American Idol? Yeah, it's pretty clever), so they kind of signed me up without asking, and I don't really know any musicians who'd be willing to spend their Saturday night playing the Cedar Grove Idol...

So I need some songs that sound good with just a guitar. No drums, no bass, no vocals (I can't sing at all, mush less sing and play guitar), just a single guitar. I like metal and have been playing around two years, I can sweep and alternate pick fairly fast, but nothing with crazy shredding. For instance, Cliffs of Dover would be perfect here but I can't play it yet...

Any suggestions?

EDIT: oh, and I can't improvise either...
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Last edited by GodofCheesecake at Mar 12, 2008,
Cliffs of dover, if you can do it... i can't not even close or uhh la grange thats also an awesome song.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by floppypick
Cliffs of dover, if you can do it... i can't not even close or uhh la grange thats also an awesome song.

La Grange would suck with just a guitar.

Classical Gas might be a good one to play.
dee by randy rhoads
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
I don't really want to play something on acoustic... It's just not my style...

For Christmas, I played a Trans-siberian orchestra version of a Christmas carol, but there's just not a lot of Trans-siberian Orchestra songs that sound good with just guitar.

Or a lot of songs in general that sound good with just one guitar...

I suppose I could record some rhythm or harmony and put it on a CD...

Edit:
Quote by freshtunes
Nobody wants to hear some metal head sweep pick for 5 minutes.

That's why I'm asking you guys for other ideas so I don't have to do that...
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by Garb
Classical Gas might be a good one to play.

If you can do it...lol Tommy Emmanuel style.
Quote by RazorbackDevil
This man is cool in my book. He apparently likes boobs as much as me.
Quote by cerveza
as does that one.
+1
Quote by .Will.
+100
Quote by Lamrick21
yeah ill +1 that one.

i smell a hate thread brewing!
Paranoid Android?
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHEA _D
_RAD IO HEA D
Farewell Ballad by Zack Wydle. I think it may have drums but IMO it would sound better with just guitar. Youtube it. Wouldn't be too hard, and it's not too heavy. Granted, if your church is the type that think anything like above 120 bpm is metal and is disgusting, you won't win.

But who WOULDN'T want to win??? I mean it sounds really kewl, I may just have to find your church and come play too!

/sarcasm
Quote by edusty2010
But who WOULDN'T want to win??? I mean it sounds really kewl, I may just have to find your church and come play too!

It might make me feel better if you did...

I live in a small town...

Looking some of these up right now.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Work out a Chord/Melody arrangement of a jazz song. or if you dont want to do that just play G, C, Em, Am, and D7 to add a little tension. That seems to be popular with church songs.
Sig What?
Interlude by Atreyu.
ololollololol
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
Oh how about canon rock, just downloaded the song and its pretty good..
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by floppypick
Oh how about canon rock, just downloaded the song and its pretty good..

I'd heard about that song on this song for a while but I never bothered to listen to it. I just looked at the powertab, and I have to say that song just moved very high on my list of considerations. I'm glad I made this thread two months in advance, though... I'm definitely going to need to practice that. Althouh if I play it, I'll have to play a shortened version, and I can take out the hardest parts, it'll still be impressive.

Thanks for that one
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by GodofCheesecake
I'd heard about that song on this song for a while but I never bothered to listen to it. I just looked at the powertab, and I have to say that song just moved very high on my list of considerations. I'm glad I made this thread two months in advance, though... I'm definitely going to need to practice that. Althouh if I play it, I'll have to play a shortened version, and I can take out the hardest parts, it'll still be impressive.

Thanks for that one

youve been on here two years and you never knew canon rock ?...
im pretty sure you can find a shortened live version on youtube, its not cut i the best way though
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!