What's the difference, which do you prefer? I have a very simple Fender Frontman 15G amp, with only a drive button and a clean channel (not planning on buying a different one, for now at least), and planning on buying a delay after that in about a month when I have enough money, but I really want a distortion too. But then I saw a lot of people with overdrive pedals in their sigs and stuff, and I was wondering, which is better and what are the major differences? I think distortion is more of a metal type effect, and drive/overdrive is just like a not-so-clear radio channel (if ya know what I mean), but I'm not really sure. And if that is true, then why do many people have overdrive as opposed to more people having distortion? Also, If distortion is generally better, would this pedal be a good distortion (I'm really looking for something cheap, preferably under 60 bucks if I can keep it that low at a descent quality distortion)? If Drive/overdrive is generally better, which pedal (again under 60$, please ) would be a good one?
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Last edited by asfastasdark at Mar 12, 2008,
Anyone, please? I don't know this... I'm pretty much a newbie with effects.
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
type of music?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
i love me some bunnys

--> --> --> -->

Anybody up for a WookieCore Band? You let me know.

Watch me as i Rock on...
A new amp would benefit you more.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Overdrive is like a cranked tube amp and an overdrive pedal is usually used over that to add more gain. Distortion is like the gain on solid state amps most 2 of more channel amps. Unless your playing through a crank-able tube amp, od pedal is not what you want. That ds-1 don't get it its a waste of money, it doesn't sound good, you can' put anything over it unless you like squeaks, hiss and extra noise all the time too.
I play mostly rock and metal, but also a lot of Buckethead, but I always like to throw in a bit of distortion/overdrive in any song, I like the sound of it. And I'm not going to spend hundreds of bucks on an amp. I'm fourteen years old, and the max I get each week (no job, this is my allowance :p) is five dollars. And I'm saving up for this delay pedal which I will be able to buy in a month and a half, so no. Nnnn... no. No new amp, nnn... no.

And @ CFHWarhead, thanks for the info, I already thought it was too good to be true... :p Any recommendations of which distortion I should get than?
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
get a distortin pedal. i had an overdrive and it did nothing 4 me.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
i love me some bunnys

--> --> --> -->

Watch me as i Rock on...
Thanks, any recommendation which one (as cheap as possible but still pretty good quality sound, and not one of those plastic Danelectro ones either, they're ugly and break way too fast)?
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
depends. if possible go and try some out at a guitar store.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
i love me some bunnys

--> --> --> -->

Watch me as i Rock on...
Al right, I'll try that. Anyone else have a suggestion for a specific distortion pedal?
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Anyone?
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Little Big Muff.... but that is more fuzz..
I don't know about a metal pedal for under 60 bucks, but the metal muff is probably the best one that there is.
Ur not gonna get a very good distortion pedal under 60 bucks. I think in your situation you should get one of those danelectro pedals for metal so that you don't waste 60 bucks. And if you are willing to save up, an amp with distortion is gonna be better than a pedal most of the time.

edit: or look at used guitar center stuff like this http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listId=104687652
Last edited by yoyodunno at Mar 13, 2008,
OK, thanks, and very much thanks for referring me to used Guitar Center, I didn't know they had a used section. Thanks, that's gonna help a lot with a ton.
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Metal muff is extremely versatil. That one with along with the big muff are my faves as far as overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals. The metal muff can do overdrive sound at low distortion, and it can get tight and heavy.
Quote by nyandres
Metal muff is extremely versatil. That one with along with the big muff are my faves as far as overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals. The metal muff can do overdrive sound at low distortion, and it can get tight and heavy.

I used to think the metal muff was great, but now after months of having it imo its a piece of crap and basically unusable because of its shrillness so it can't get heavy.
Quote by yoyodunno
I used to think the metal muff was great, but now after months of having it imo its a piece of crap and basically unusable because of its shrillness so it can't get heavy.

Shrill amp.. pickups?

It sounds awesome with my cheap amp, and my ibanez, and strats. I like to use a reverb with it and its beautiful

I also use a jcm 800 at the studio and is still awesome.