i need to know what notes are in Fmaj7 and D9 on piano... just the 3 normal notes of a chord. Like a C is C E G, i dont want all the extra ones that you somtimes play on guitar.

Also could you give me a tab for Csus4 ? just tab out what it is on guitar...

~thanks
An Fmaj7 is F A C E, and a D9 would be D F# A C E. You can't really narrow these down to three notes or else you'll change the name of the chord.

Csus4 is C F G, so on guitar:

e
B
G 0
D 3
A 3
E

You could do it like that.
Quote by Galvanise69
Oh, so you actually write it as "insert new chord name here" not "insert chord name here" second (for instance) inversion?
Chord voicings are different then inversions. You categorize an inversion solely by what the bass note is. Like say you have 3-5-7-R. It's 1st inversion. Great...but when you voice those notes on guitar 3-R-5-7, 3-7-3-R with no fifth or even 3-7-9-5 with no root, it would still be considered a 1st inversion of that chord but 3 different voicings. (well depending on the progression for the non-root chord)

This is usually where I say and become a strong opponent of learning anything other then by ear......but that's just me.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You just play C F G different ways on the guitar. Just make sure that C is always your bass note, lest you start playing Fsus2 or G7sus4!

Quick question:

For G7sus4, is that 1 4 5 7 (G C D F#) or 1 4 5 b7? When I see G7 I'm thinking dominant seventh with a suspended fourth. Is this correct?
Quote by Avedas
Quick question:

For G7sus4, is that 1 4 5 7 (G C D F#) or 1 4 5 b7? When I see G7 I'm thinking dominant seventh with a suspended fourth. Is this correct?
yup, b7.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by Galvanise69
Right so, you can get three different types of inversions?

1st is 3 5 7 1
2nd is 5 7 1 3
and 3rd is 7 1 3 5

is that right?

yeah
Quote by Galvanise69
Right so, you can get three different types of inversions?

1st is 3 5 7 1
2nd is 5 7 1 3
and 3rd is 7 1 3 5

is that right?

Technically any arrangement of 3, 5, 7, and 1 over a 3 in the bass is first inversion. For complex chords they will often be given different names, but for basic sevenths they will not.

Same rules apply for second and third inversions