I have issues concerning my disabilty to use technological pieces of equipment (and I have no idea where my manual ended up). I use a Peavy Supreme amp head (older model) through a hartke guitar cab. At loud volumes and high gain, this very annoying high pitched screetch comes out every time I stop playing. This of course would lead me to buy boss' noise suppressor, the NS-2. My problem begins here. All the stuff about Fx loops and send and return and this and that confuse the hell out of me. I tried hooking it up using only the input and ouput jacks (because this is the only pedal so far in my "rig" as one would call it I guess) and it had no effect. The screetch was still there. I haven't tried using the four chord method because I only have two (besides the one connecting my amp to my cab) and also, the boss pedals apparently have this weird a/c adapter thing going on where it has an "in" and an "out" which raises the question if I need to buy their special doo-hicky.

It's okay if you laugh at me, I am at peace with my technological retardation but if you can tell me what I'm doing wrong and what I need to be doing right (in words a technological retard would understand) I would appreciate it a lot.
Ok lets just get a bit more background info first. Are you running between guitar and amp or in the effects loop? What are the settings you currently have on it? Have you tried replacing the battery yet?
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
I have the NS-2 and love it :P
i dont use it through the effects loop tho..

set up like Amp=Output-NS-2-Input=Guitar ...simple diagram :P
with it set to 'reduction'
threshold at max, decay at Minimum...

hope that helps...
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Ok lets just get a bit more background info first. Are you running between guitar and amp or in the effects loop? What are the settings you currently have on it? Have you tried replacing the battery yet?

That's one of the things I don't understand. Fx loop talk. But, to my knowledge i'm running between guitar and amp. the settings on my pedal are all at min because it's back in the box waiting for me to figure it out.
Quote by Joboffal
I have the NS-2 and love it :P
i dont use it through the effects loop tho..

set up like Amp=Output-NS-2-Input=Guitar ...simple diagram :P
with it set to 'reduction'
threshold at max, decay at Minimum...

hope that helps...

I think that is exactly what I tried but i'll try it again because it's been so long since I actually attempted. I haven't jammed in a while so I haven't needed to use it.
Ok. Well I'm not sure whether your amp has an effects loop but either way I use my NS-2 inbetween amp and guitar. In other words my setup is Guitar then cable going to the pedal then cable going to the amp. Pretty straight forward.
As for the settings on the pedal these are the settings you generally want to use:
Threshold: Between 8 and 10
Decay: Between 0 and 2
Then you come the the mode settings. When the mode is set to reduction you have 2 options. When the red light in the top centre is off that means the pedal is doing nothing and is "true bypass" (in otherwords completey bypassing the pedal, it's effectively guitar into amp here) then when you click the pedal on and the red light is on the pedal is getting rid of your feedback/hiss depending on how your pedal is set (the above settings I've found work best though).
The other mode is mute. Now when the red light is off the pedal it's doing exactly the same as when the reduction mode is on, it is getting rid of the feedback/hiss of your amp. Then when you click the pedal on, it completely mutes everything and there is no sound at all (incase you didn't guess by the name of the mode) I've found this rather useful for recording, especially solos, so you don't get any accidental ring out of notes.

I hope this helped, it's the best I can do after drinking 6 beers lol.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
It may be because the NS-2 is supposed to block background noise. If you're getting a loud squeal it will stop the gate from triggering and thus render the noise suppressor worthless.

Get to the root of the squealing instead. Does it happen with various guitars? I suspect pickup microphonics are the problem though it might even simply be the normal effect of high-gain, high-volume playing.
Quote by kyle62
It may be because the NS-2 is supposed to block background noise. If you're getting a loud squeal it will stop the gate from triggering and thus render the noise suppressor worthless.

Get to the root of the squealing instead. Does it happen with various guitars? I suspect pickup microphonics are the problem though it might even simply be the normal effect of high-gain, high-volume playing.

I thought it was my guitar at first. I played one of those epiphone starter pack les pauls. not the best thing in the world so I figured it might be. Late January I upgraded to a schecter damien 7 (which might I add is beastly and anybody considering buying a seven string hat is easy on your budget, GO FOR IT!!) but the squeal is still there. The interesting thing about you saying background noise is that when I had it hooked up, you could still hear that kind of faint staticky fuzz you get when you're playing high gain.
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Ok. Well I'm not sure whether your amp has an effects loop but either way I use my NS-2 inbetween amp and guitar. In other words my setup is Guitar then cable going to the pedal then cable going to the amp. Pretty straight forward.
As for the settings on the pedal these are the settings you generally want to use:
Threshold: Between 8 and 10
Decay: Between 0 and 2
Then you come the the mode settings. When the mode is set to reduction you have 2 options. When the red light in the top centre is off that means the pedal is doing nothing and is "true bypass" (in otherwords completey bypassing the pedal, it's effectively guitar into amp here) then when you click the pedal on and the red light is on the pedal is getting rid of your feedback/hiss depending on how your pedal is set (the above settings I've found work best though).
The other mode is mute. Now when the red light is off the pedal it's doing exactly the same as when the reduction mode is on, it is getting rid of the feedback/hiss of your amp. Then when you click the pedal on, it completely mutes everything and there is no sound at all (incase you didn't guess by the name of the mode) I've found this rather useful for recording, especially solos, so you don't get any accidental ring out of notes.

I hope this helped, it's the best I can do after drinking 6 beers lol.

haha. Well for six beers you did a pretty thourough job! My amp, though, does have an effects loop but I neve use it because I don't have any effects (except for a zoom 505 II which I grew out of because the distortions on it are poopy.)
I just tried using it again... Threshhold at 8 then max, Decay at zero then 2 . Better than last time but I could still hear some fuzz and right when I put the post gain volume at like 3-3.5 (which is a tad bit short from the adequate volume required for jamming with acoustic drums) it did the squeal on me again.
Quote by rakoshauffe
I just tried using it again... Threshhold at 8 then max, Decay at zero then 2 . Better than last time but I could still hear some fuzz and right when I put the post gain volume at like 3-3.5 (which is a tad bit short from the adequate volume required for jamming with acoustic drums) it did the squeal on me again.

And in addition to that, when I hooked it up and the pedal was off, it had more noise and static as opposed to just straight up guitar and amp. When I pushed it on it went away but it didn't make it disappear entirely.