Page 1 of 3
I'm reasonably sure that most of you have noticed this before, or atleast put some thought into it but I was just talking to a friend of mine about it and didn't really think much of it, or atleast of who originated it.

"Carbomb" by The Acacia Strain was the first useage of said breakdown, it's the introduction on the CD "And Life Is Very Long" but since then i've noticed it in...

"Thirteen" by Recon
"Ear To Ear" by Whitechapel
"Deathcard" by Underneath The Gun
"When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong" by Emmure

Granted each of those bands has added there own slight modifications to it, but far too many people credit the wrong band for coming up with that "Br00t3l Br3akd0wn".
instead of

they play

Ibanez SZ720FM
Ibanez GSZ120
VOX AD50VT
BOSS DF-2 Super Distortion & Feedbacker
i'm sorry...were you under the impression that all hardcore bands weren't more or less the same?

i mean really, how many different ways can you play a palm muted open powerchord?
Quote by BluesLP1990
i'm sorry...were you under the impression that all hardcore bands weren't more or less the same?

i mean really, how many different ways can you play a palm muted open powerchord?

lol yeah
um...Carbomb and Thirteen have quite different patterns.

Quote by BluesLP1990

hahaha really?
how do Trash Talk and Recon sound the same?
Ugh.. the bassist in my band is obsessed with Teh Br00talz. And it's annoying, so I just force us to jam on breakdowns in 5/4 or 7/8 . We're by no means a hardcore band anyway. Of course we do have one breakdown, but A) it's a joke, B) it's in a major key, and C) it's more of a pitch shifter solo anyway.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
i doubt the acacia strain did it first. they probably ripped it off some metal band
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
breakdowns like

quarter notes, palm mute. they are ALL the same
світ втомився від вас
I'm pretty sure that I invented the breakdown.

True story.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

Quote by SealCubMassacre
I wish crap deathcore bands would go back to using:

E
B
G
D-0-0-0 ETC 4 BEATDOWN BORE CORE
A-0-0-0
D-0-0-0

(As used by every pre 2006 core band)

Instead of the new and trendy and twiple br00tal:

E-
B-
G-
D-1-1-1 ETC 4 BEATDOWN BORE CORE
A-0-0-0
D-1-1-1

(As used by Emmure, Acacia Strain and every post 06 core band)

Anyone else know what i mean? Option B annoys me no end. Everyone is using it!

Apologies for mumbling gibberish. I am beyond bored.

I posted that in the HOTCT ages ago. I hate that breakdown now.
Quote by technicolour
This one band I listen to, doesn't have breakdowns sometimes.

I don't believe you. Must be a really obscure and alternative band, to not use a breakdown sometimes.
Who dat?

alot of bands do the 101 chord thing during breakdowns, i've heard suicide silence and as blood runs black do it
Because those bands have no originality. Its funny how the breakdown plays a big part in metalcore yet they don't put any effort into making a good breakdown.
Quote by SealCubMassacre
RIP English language.

You shall not be missed.
ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ
Quote by InstantAXonHero
Oh come on, everyone uses slang now!

Me and Seal are huge fans of good literature, and so is the mod of this forum. Deadkennedy has got some of his own writing published.

I'd suggest you back down now.
Quote by Craigo
Seal and I are huge fans of good literature, and so is the mod of this forum. Deadkennedy has got some of his own writing published.

Fixed for you English lovers, me being one of them.
ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ
I assume bands just use the dissonant breakdown so they can play the same thing twice... second time being slower in tempo and changing to a china cymbal every second beat... Wow

This sounds dumb to me

E
B
G
D-1-
A-0-
D-1-

I find this to be more effective

E-
B-
G-
D-
A-5-5-5-and having the second guitar like this-6-6-6-
D-1-1-1-------------------------------------------------0-0-0-

It creates dissonance within the chord, and between both the guitars.
Quote by SealCubMassacre
RIP English language.

Sometimes, I type how I talk.

And to be fair, emphasis is usually more on the timing then the different notes/chords.

But even then...

^ dissonance overload!!!
Quote by InstantAXonHero
Fixed for you English lovers, me being one of them.

Phew! You were almost on my hit list then.

Quote by SealCubMassacre
Phew! You were almost on my hit list then.

Saved by the bell!
ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ
Quote by SoVeryFlash
I'm reasonably sure that most of you have noticed this before, or atleast put some thought into it but I was just talking to a friend of mine about it and didn't really think much of it, or atleast of who originated it.

"Carbomb" by The Acacia Strain was the first useage of said breakdown, it's the introduction on the CD "And Life Is Very Long" but since then i've noticed it in...

"Thirteen" by Recon
"Ear To Ear" by Whitechapel
"Deathcard" by Underneath The Gun
"When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong" by Emmure

Granted each of those bands has added there own slight modifications to it, but far too many people credit the wrong band for coming up with that "Br00t3l Br3akd0wn".

completely wrong. breakdowns started as early as 2000. As I Lay Dying had breakdowns on their 2002 EP. and i know bands have used breakdowns even before that. get your facts straight.
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Well you're wrong and stupid and I don't like you.

Quote by nashawa
You know who's a good troll? Me. Because I'm secretly in love with Pandy.
Last edited by synestershadows at Jun 8, 2008,
Quote by synestershadows
completely wrong. breakdowns started as early as 2000. As I Lay Dying had breakdowns on their 2002 EP. and i know bands have used breakdowns even before that. get your facts straight.

Acacia Strain were, however, the first band to use a distorted quote from Anakin Skywalker in an interlude... I think...
Quote by PDMChubby
Acacia Strain were, however, the first band to use a distorted quote from Anakin Skywalker in an interlude... I think...

ok. haha. little relevance there.
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Well you're wrong and stupid and I don't like you.

Quote by nashawa
You know who's a good troll? Me. Because I'm secretly in love with Pandy.
Quote by synestershadows

read the rest of the thread, idiot.
Ibanez SZ720FM
Ibanez GSZ120
VOX AD50VT
BOSS DF-2 Super Distortion & Feedbacker
Quote by synestershadows

Breakdowns were started by 80s metal bands... (for example metallica... listen to for whom the bell tolls)
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Quote by pmeg568c
i doubt the acacia strain did it first. they probably ripped it off some metal band

Pantera, they just added tritones or one or two power chords but the rhythms are the same a lot of the time.....

EDIT: Breakdowns are NOT a creation of Hardcore/Metalcore! They were in a lot of 80's Metal and I'm sure 60's and 70's as well.....Metallica - Creeping Death has a great breakdown....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Page 1 of 3