My reverb isnt working on my peavey classic 30. when i bought it today, it wasnt noticable, but later when i played it, it doesnt seem to be working. this was an used amp. Does it need the footswitch for the reverb to work?
I'm not a Classic 30 owner sorry, but first thing to check will be the RCA jacks leading to the reverb tank - these can sometimes build up a fine layer of corrosion and stop working. I don't think the C30s reverb is tube-driven - if it is be sure to swap over the preamp valves and see if that's the problem. Also try tapping the tank to see if the spring noise is audible through the speaker, that'll help determine whether it's the tank or amp that's at fault.
but is it a possiblity i need the footswitch for the reverb to work? like the previous owner turned it off, the reverb, using the footswitch and then lost the footswitch. would i need to sue that footswitch to turn it back on?
That's exactly what's just happened to my Boogie and I haven't figured it our yet. I'm pretty sure with most amps reverb is always on by default, until turned on by a footswitch, and the tank itself looks fine inside. Even my tech, arguably one of the best around, was stumped. If you get a buzzing noise from the 'return' RCA jack (or the thundering noise), it must mean the guitarsignal itself isn't getting through the tank. It could be any number of things suppose, but I haven't had the time to pull the chassis and have a look yet.

When I get round to fixing it, I'm going to start by borrowing the tank out of my mate's amp and seeing if that makes a difference. I suggest you try the same course of action?
but first, should i still try using a footswitch? i will ahve to buy one and dont want to risk spending 30 dollars as my funds are really low right now.
Hmm.. just make sure the connections are solid.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
how can i do that?. the wires coming from the bottom is inside the chassis.
You don't need the footswitch to turn the reverb "back" on, if you don't have a footswitch connected it will be on. I'm assuming you've turned the reverb all the way up to test it? The Classics have some of the most subtle spring reverbs I've ever heard.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
yeah
i turned the reverb all the way up. i tapped the top and it didnt mae a thundering noise but, i lifted it up and let it drop slightly, and it made a "chhh" sound.
I accidentally slightly dropped a classic 30 in the store once. It was so loud...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
so i looked at the amp, and all the connections were soldered. i jiggled the amp and it made an echo kind of noise. but there was no reverb when i played it.
Hrmm..
I say leave it then. It seems like the only problems that peavey classics are with it's reverb.
Anyways, it's reverbs aren't that great. I do admit that.
Other than that, spectacular, great amps.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
It's fine now, but in the past it has given me problems, and apparantly the owner before me had to get it fixed.
It's an alright reverb, I think something like the EH Holy Grail would be better though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Well it's more subtle than a good fender reverb but the difference between 12 and 0 is definitely noticeable. The only reason I mentioned that it is subtle is in case you had it on 2 and weren't hearing much.
I'm really not sure what to tell you.
I just opened up my amp to make sure everything was solid, and it kinda fixed itself.
I dunno what to tell you though...
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
would new tubes fix it? the guy said the tubes were a couple of eyars old.
^Maybe, I think one of the preamp tubes has something to do with the reverb tank?
Give that a shot perhaps. It'd probably be a good idea anyways.
Go with Tungsols.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
bump,

and i played my amp again today. theres no more thundering noise when i kick it or tap the top. what does that mean?
It means you should take it in and have it looked at. I don't think there's anything else anyone here can do for you. It sucks that your new amp isn't working but stuff like that happens to everyone at some point.