Poll: Which is the best pop bass?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is the best pop bass?
Charlatan_001
22 55%
Doug_Funnie
11 28%
Funkadude
7 18%
Voters: 40.
Okay...round 1 of bass wars voting begins with the pop genre

Remember we're judging original basslines. Vote for your favourite on the basis of how it fulfils the brief as a pop bassline and the quality of the writing and playing. Recording quality is NOT to be taken into account.

Entrants are:

Charlatan_001
Doug_Funnie
Funkadude

Poll will close in a week so get listening and voting!
I'm a-shakin' in mah boots!

Anyways, I know recording quality isn't supposed to be taken into account, but I really have a hard time listening to Funkadude's song...

And I'm not allowed to vote for myself, right?
im not gonna lie i wasnt a hole lot to partial to any of them.....
but charlatans just sounded the best to me... how ever funkadude's was the only one where i didnt hear notes that i think are out of key (just a couple)

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
I haven't made up my mind yet...I'll have to have another listen to them all through headphones
I'm going with Charlatan on this one. None REALLY impressed me, but the genre pop doesn't really imply a crazy bass solo. I honestly think that if its going to be a "Bass Wars" there should be a more solo emphasis than anything else.

But hey, if I had a problem, I should have signed up
Oh man this is classic.

Let's start with Doug_Funnie. Yours was probably the most interesting. Had a real groove to it, it totally fit the beat you used to back. Had some great ideas in it too. Honestly had the most potential. But dude... starting at like 45 seconds and continuing for the rest of the song... I'm sorry, but PLAY IN SCALE! My Inner Theory was crying a bit. I understand that playing out of scale can work, especially in a jazz setting. But it was too much friend. my first reaction was "Those were all wrong notes...! Was his string tuned down and he forgot?" I was so impressed until then too. But... don't take that the wrong way. You can obviously play and write. Just fix it, haha.

Funkadude. Yours was consistent. Solid as a rock. But I felt a little bored. And the melodic pattern was kind of lost on me. Kind of sounded like it would fit well into modern pop in a way... but that's part of the problem, haha. Good solidarity, but you gotta take some risks.

Which brings us to Charlatan_001. Not quite as interesting as Doug_Funnie's, not quite as consistent as Funkadude's - you had a couple things out of scale and a couple of "eh?" rhythms. However, all in all, I was most impressed by yours. Nothing totally turned me off in it. In fact, I kind of nodded my head to it. That, and the name totally fit the song. Simple melodic concept that you utilized well... all around, my favorite.

My vote goes to Charlatan_001.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Last edited by WhyLater at Mar 13, 2008,
^Playing scale isn't necessarily always required you know...

Anyway, Charlatan, yours had the best melodic ideas I felt. It had a movement, an actually idea that played itself out by the end. I felt that Doug's had a better groove, but one that got annoying quick, as well as one that didn't go anywhere. It was nice, but somewhat aimless. Funkadude's was, to be perfectly blunt, not too hot. It was a potential bassline, but was somewhat boring and had no melody to it.

In the end, it was a tough choice between Doug and Charlatan, but I'm going to have to go with Charlatan.
Charlatan_001 gets my vote in this round. Nice melody and good representation on the genre as a whole. Consistent with only a few missteps here and there.

Doug's was a little too free form on key signature, but god that one had potential. However there were too many "off notes" for my taste but it was very melodic in its idea. Unfortunately for you I listened to this after spending 30 minutes with another fretless bass player working on nailing intonation, so I had a keener inner ear turned to this tune, more so than usual.

Funkadude--great use of rhythm but it could have used a bit more spice from a melodic sense. Again, good ideas that could be worked on a bit to be great.

Good showing all round. I am glad I have opted for Bass Wars V, I would have been killed in this genre round.
Quote by anarkee

Good showing all round. I am glad I have opted for Bass Wars V, I would have been killed in this genre round.

what if that one has an even trickier theme :O:O:O

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^Playing scale isn't necessarily always required you know...

Anyway, Charlatan, yours had the best melodic ideas I felt. It had a movement, an actually idea that played itself out by the end. I felt that Doug's had a better groove, but one that got annoying quick, as well as one that didn't go anywhere. It was nice, but somewhat aimless. Funkadude's was, to be perfectly blunt, not too hot. It was a potential bassline, but was somewhat boring and had no melody to it.

In the end, it was a tough choice between Doug and Charlatan, but I'm going to have to go with Charlatan.

Of course... *edited* to reflect more accurately what I meant.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
I really like Charlatans entry. A good job on the melody and a solid backing.

You get my vote =D
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
I really like Charlatan_001's song, I am gonna vote for him =)
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Fender acoustic

Bass: Harley Benton HBB400TBK

Amp: Peavy valveking 112
Line6 POD HD500
Charalatans was good and very a la Flea. I did get a bit bored of the the same measures being played over and over again tho. Mind you, good job.

Im really enjoying Dougs now. It's got that poppy feel and I could imagine it in popular music today. You might want to check your intonation higher up, it felt like some of the notes were out of tune. The breakdown is good.

Funkadudes - there were some cool ideas in there, and I should imagine it'd fit into a pop song rather well but you slapped the whole thing, and that sorta turned me off im afraid.

I think, my vote is going to Doug! Well done on your peices Funk and Charlatan, maybe next time

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9