Page 1 of 2
In my attempt to create a somewhat original thread, I thought of this:

I will admit, I love the color purple. I don't know why but I do. I thought it would be kick ass to find a bass that was purple. If not purple it has to be crazy looking.

Now, I know, if I don't address it, people will just tell me that looks don't matter. It's the sound that counts. I agree with this to some extent but come on...you don't want a spouse that is understanding, caring, has similar hobbies and interest...but is homely and hard to look at. If I'm going to be looking at something for a long time (and others too) I want it to look nice. Good enough metaphor for you?

With that being said, does anyone know of companies that make purple basses or some other wacky color/looks?

And please, for the love of god, don't send me a link to this

Also I found a few Carvin basses that were purple. Anyone have a Carvin bass? I'd rather not buy something I can't try though (even though I plan on buying a half stack from them).
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
I got to play on a purple bass last night actually. It is a nice one, but I felt wierd playign this 50- something year old womans bass. HAHHA.. I was kidnapped from work and forced into a band!!!

But purple is a great color.
He don't remember, how it got there
It had a number, written on his forearm
It spelled disaster
Quote by barb3rman

And please, for the love of god, don't send me a link to this

I dunno, gotta love that Daisy Rock brand. Fender's got nothing on that.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
"And please, for the love of god, don't send me a link to this"

Oh but why not, wouldn't you like a bass with a syrupy sound to match the paintjob?

I'd think there would be a ton of purple guitars, I've seen enough in music shops around my area (which is a pretty small city) they come in very deep purples usually.
I owned a purple 5-string MIM Jazz. The purple colour is Midnight Blue. It photographs blue, and looks blue in the reflection of light, but it's definitely purple. But it's interesting - the purple/blue look depending on light angle.

Also, Warwick makes a colour called French Violet.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by DemonicSloth
My Silvertone is kind of purple color. They refer to it as "Colbolt Blue" but it's pretty much purple. here's a link.

http://www.silvertoneguitar.com/products/bass_sslb11/index.htm

That's the exact colour I was referring to - except Fender called it Midnight Blue. It's not made anymore, but around 1998-2000, it was a standard MIM colour.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by IndianRockStar
You know, there is a wood called purpleheart. Its actually fairly purple in color. Try looking at that. It'll cost you a lot though.

Sounds exotic. I don't want to pay out the ass here. A quick google search produced less than stellar results. Apparently Alembic makes basses w/ purpleheart. Isn't Alembic really expensive?

mhuckins - What kind of bass was it?

I wanna see the French Violet.

Delirium, what kind of bass is that?

EDIT: Found the warwick color diagram...French violet looks nice. I'd like to see the entire bass though.

Double Edit: Oh French violet why are you so elusive?
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
Last edited by barb3rman at Mar 12, 2008,
Quote by barb3rman
Sounds exotic. I don't want to pay out the ass here. A quick google search produced less than stellar results. Apparently Alembic makes basses w/ purpleheart. Isn't Alembic really expensive?

mhuckins - What kind of bass was it?

I wanna see the French Violet.

Delirium, what kind of bass is that?

EDIT: Found the warwick color diagram...French violet looks nice. I'd like to see the entire bass though.

Double Edit: Oh French violet why are you so elusive?

Alembics are pretty expensive, but well worth it. If you want a purple bass just for that, don't go for one, but if you're looking at a new bass and would like it to be purple (and have money), go for the Alembic. [/two cents]

Purple Hwy1 with matching headstock.

And don't even get me started on Daisy Rocks....

Carvin makes decent basses; but unless you live in CA (or want to crash on my couch for an overnight), you'd have to buy one blind without playing it.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Mentioning Roger Glover, through Deep Purple, to Glenn Hughes... I seem to remember Glenn Hughes using his fair share of purple basses for some reason.

yeah i know but roger used this bass too its a real beauty and it sounds wow

Heh, I looked at Alembic basses...I do not have 4k + to spend on a bass. =(

And Anarkee, I don't think I can make it out to CA anytime soon (live in Michigan)

and that matching headstock is damn fine. =P
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

My Custom one(i dont know who made it so i assume its custom) has this wicked two tone purple thing going on
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Thomann Special Edition 180w
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
wasnt there a user a while ago that did a BoTM on a custom made purple and gold bass? that was niice
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Quote by anarkee

Purple Hwy1 with matching headstock.

And don't even get me started on Daisy Rocks....

Carvin makes decent basses; but unless you live in CA (or want to crash on my couch for an overnight), you'd have to buy one blind without playing it.

Gorgeous!

Squier made their standard series jazz bass in purple for a while. I also saw this chick from another school with a purple stingray-style bass..between her looks and it's looks, I was smitten. Purple is my fav color too, right on!

EDIT: AHA! this with a white scratch-guard:

EDIT2: TS, I love Jim Halpert.
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
Last edited by TagRingo at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Having another thinky... I may be right, I may be wrong, but I'm sure that Robert Trujillo used a bass with that special paint that changes colour depending on the angle you look at it, and one of the colours was poiple (on the *ugh*St. Anger DVD)

I think Petrucci has that one his guitars. It's called Magic Dream by Ernie Ball.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I made an extremely purple p bass clone from a saga kit once... turns out I really don't know anything about how to finish a guitar.... yeah it's purple like I always dreamed but, yuck, just yuck.

Now I have a new plan folks: my p bass is white, I always dress in white, I have UV leds in all of my effects pedals, and every home built effects pedal I have has UV responsive clear coat on it... maybe it's crazy, but I want some kind of blacklight or at least a can with a purple gel on me at every show I play from now on. Too gimmicky and pretentious? Maybe. Completely hot and sexy? Yes.
Hmm, I like the stingray look. Too bad I've never gotten to play one. Some day I will.

Also, I checked Ebay and they had quite a few fenders with the midnight blue. Too bad I've never really gotten a chance to play one of those either. Actually I got to play a fender jazz bass for like two seconds (my school owns it). Only impression I had time to create was that the action was too high (like ridiculously high). I know this can be changed though.

I plan on going to a guitar center soon. Maybe I will find a purple bass there. Probably not though.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Having another thinky... I may be right, I may be wrong, but I'm sure that Robert Trujillo used a bass with that special paint that changes colour depending on the angle you look at it, and one of the colours was poiple (on the *ugh*St. Anger DVD)

Hoyy, I forgot - the Zon Rob Trujillo sig comes in purple. They also have a Korean made, cheaper version.

http://www.zonguitars.com/zonguitars/sonusrtk5.html <-- the Korean one

BTW, are you after a... cool purple, or a gay purple?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Mar 13, 2008,
The yamaha JM2 looks purple under some angles, but it is a signature model, and a six string (with very tight string spacing). Plus, not many people like its tone. Anyway, here is a picture of it.
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
I was going to paint my bass solid purple, but I decided to go with something a little more interesting and catchy. There is a few purple lines on it but my crappy webcam doesn't show the colors very well.

Quote by thefitz
Hoyy, I forgot - the Zon Rob Trujillo sig comes in purple. They also have a Korean made, cheaper version.

http://www.zonguitars.com/zonguitars/sonusrtk5.html <-- the Korean one

BTW, are you after a... cool purple, or a gay purple?

LMAO...uh

Define "cool purple" and "gay purple" and provide an example of each.

and Okonkole, your bass is snazzy. I like it. I always thought it would be cool to create my own (or have someone do that for me as Im not the most artistic person).
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Quote by InvaderRen
wasnt there a user a while ago that did a BoTM on a custom made purple and gold bass? that was niice

That was me. I'm too lazy to find the UROTM, but I can imagine you can search it. If not then... I'll post it.
Quote by elemenohpee
That was me. I'm too lazy to find the UROTM, but I can imagine you can search it. If not then... I'll post it.

found it. That thing is sexy as hell. Can I have it? I'll pm you with my address.

if anyone cares here's the link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=755421&highlight=urotm+elemenohpee
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Last edited by barb3rman at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by barb3rman
Define "cool purple" and "gay purple" and provide an example of each.

Cool purple - a darker purple, classy, like French Violet or the RTK
Gay purple - bright, campy, like that Jazz with the matching headstock
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Cool purple - a darker purple, classy, like French Violet or the RTK
Gay purple - bright, campy, like that Jazz with the matching headstock

Well, I definitely like the more majestic, dark purples...but if the bass sounds good enough...I'll admit. I'll settle for the gay purple. I'm comfortable enough with my sexuality to get up in front of people and play a gay bass.

Tbh though, The Jazz isn't too bad. As long as it doesn't glitter like the aforementioned Daisy bass.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

I play a black jazz bass with a dark purple pick guard. For some reason when I was building it, I was inspired to go with black and purple and I think it turned out quite nicely. There's a picture in my profile.
Quote by Indus
Roger Glover does use a stunning Vigier Bass, but that one is a burgundy colour. See here;

Vigier do produce some gorgeous purple colours though...

That is one DAMN sexy bass. Almost got me GASing, although i don't know anything about the tone, enlighten me pl0x.

Well, i'm off to google
My bass.....I wish!
It's Stuart Zender's iroquai rug bass

(Invalid img)
Quote by Puma89
My bass.....I wish!
It's Stuart Zender's iroquai rug bass

(Invalid img)

Do they actually sell that? I thought it was made exclusively for him.

It's beautiful; so unique.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Last edited by barb3rman at Mar 15, 2008,
i aquired this at the guitar shop not too long ago. it plays nice and was made in japan.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=762344&highlight=sb900
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian