Okay so I like playing the blues and I want that mind captivating blues rock sound. I think what I'm looking for is over drive but I'm not sure. I've some stuff about the Ibanez Tube Screamer. Is that over drive? What does it do?
what artist would you compare the sound you're looking for to?
Quote by LP51122
what artist would you compare the sound you're looking for to?

I'm thinking maybe SRV/Eric Clapton/Santana.
It's a subtle, natural sounding overdrive effect which is supposed to copy the way a tube amp distorts when turned up loud. Works very well, but you need the right amp (ie. one with lots of glowing bottles at the back, turned up loud) or it'll sound pretty poor.

Good tone depends a lot on your amp - a great guitar and a poor guitar will sound pretty similar through your average 10W practice box.
That is indeed overdrive. The tube screamers (you could get Ibanez or Maxon depending on preference) work best with tube amps to help simulate that nice full tube tone. It works really well at low volumes because you can get some dirt without having to crank it full volume. They also work really well at higher volumes too. You can keep the gain down to zero and use the volume for a clean boost.
I guess a pretty good blues pedal would be the Boss BD2 Blues Driver. I have one its pretty good. Depends on the amp and guitar you have. It sounds really good with a Strat, but not all that great with with humbucking guitar but still a good overdrive though.
Quote by Axeslayer55
I guess a pretty good blues pedal would be the Boss BD2 Blues Driver. I have one its pretty good. Depends on the amp and guitar you have. It sounds really good with a Strat, but not all that great with with humbucking guitar but still a good overdrive though.

I've heard bad things about the Blues Driver. I hear the modded ones sound much better, but I don't think you'd be very happy with a stock one.
Quote by Axeslayer55

Well I'm playing through humbuckers. Any blues pedal that sounds good on humbuckers.
Quote by kyle62
Hang on, if you're actually planning on buying one, what amp are you going to be running it through?

Different pedals work with different amps...

I currently have a Fender Frontman 15g and a Vox DA5.
Not a chance, sorry, a pedal won't make the slightest bit of difference to those.

Try the Epiphone Valve Junior - if you can't get a good blues tone out of that, you don't deserve to play guitar
Quote by lemonsquares42
I've heard bad things about the Blues Driver. I hear the modded ones sound much better, but I don't think you'd be very happy with a stock one.

+1

TS, a small tube amp will do much more for you than any pedal in the world. If not, is there anything on the Vox that can get you close? I tried one out and I was actually very impressed.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
Quote by kyle62
Not a chance, sorry, a pedal won't make the slightest bit of difference to those.

Try the Epiphone Valve Junior - if you can't get a good blues tone out of that, you don't deserve to play guitar

this^ *gets blues tone out of a b.c.rich warlock*
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by rageandlove04
+1

TS, a small tube amp will do much more for you than any pedal in the world. If not, is there anything on the Vox that can get you close? I tried one out and I was actually very impressed.

Well there's three blues settings. Blues 1, Blues 2 and Blues 3. Blues 3 has sort of the high gain blues rock sound I'm looking for, but not as much gain as I want it to. I think I'm looking for that 'Layla' tone. Like the one on the pedal that LP51122 posted. On the Derek and The Dominoes setting.
Since you have two amps which you can sell, i'd sell them, and buy an epiphone valve junior or a blackheart little giant.
That way, you have all natural overdrive, which translates to utter blues tone eargasm.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator