I was intonating my guitar recently, and I managed to get the low E,A, and D strings (also referred to the bass strings), but I can't seem to get the other 3 (G, B, and high E) fine tuned on the spot. I have a tune-o-matic system with a Nashville-style bridge, and I used a KORG guitar tuner to do the job. I could get the B and high E strings just 1 notch sharp when i'm playing at the 12th fret. But I couldn't get the G string any less sharp than 2 notches. By the way, when I say notches, I'm referring to the dot indicators that are commonly seen on the KORG tuners. Anyone know what the problem could be with my higher strings?? I had no problem with the lower ones. Thanks in advance.
I do, and there's no indication that the B and E string will go lower than 1 notch shaper. It's already confirmed that the G string will not get closer to the perfect tuning because I've pushed the saddle all the way back on the bridge and it's still at least 2 notches sharp.
Are you making sure that you have the tuner set to default? Check that there are no flat symbols (b's) showing on the readout.
A tune-o-matic bridge has the unique ability of the saddles being able to be removed, flipped end for end, and reinstalled. This will give you a bit more travel in the saddle with which to move it back farther, lengthening the scale more than the standard configuration.
Also be sure that you aren't pressing the strings down too hard at the 12th fret, causing a false sharp tone. Check the strings open, and fine tuned to concert pitch. Then check the harmonic of the 12th fret, then check those 2 against the fretted 12th. All need to read exactly the same, no flats or sharps.
Yeah I know to do all those steps for intonation, and I also understand not to press too hard because it would pull the strings slightly tighter, therefore making it sharp. Yes I made sure that the tuner was set to default. Now as for the thing you mentioned about flipping the saddles, it seems like a weird thing to do for me - primarily because it would look unconventional. Do you think that it could just be the strings? Because though they're not old strings, I did put a good amount of stress on them, because in between my string change, I was also modding and fixing some things on my guitar. This means that I had loosened the strings a number of times to fix/change some things (pickups primarily because I installed them but later wax potted/covered then reinstalled them). Even after I was finished modding, I thought that a string change would be unnecessary because I had just done so.
I'm not going to tell you it's impossible for the strings to be at fault, because they certainly could be. Even though they're fairly new, you did do some other work to the guitar and could have overworked them. It won't hurt to slap a new set on and see if the problem goes away.
You mentioned that you modded some things on the guitar. Did you have either the neck off, or the entire bridge? How about the tail stop piece? I ask because all three of these components being misadjusted can lead to poor intonation. The stop piece in that it's height adjustable and needs to be set correctly to work with the bridge. The bridge itself for obvious reasons.
When I needed to work on anything under the strings (pickups, pickup rings), I loosened my strings enough to unscrew and remove the tailpiece with ease. By doing this i was able to keep the strings on and still have them out of the way to work. What IS the correct height that the tailpiece/stoppiece needs to be at? I have it screwed all the way down. Does the tailpiece height have to be adjusted according to particular bridge height?
The tailpiece should be lower than the bridge, but angled the same as the bridge so that the string break angle is the same for all 6 strings. The break angle is the angle between the tailpiece and the bridge saddles. This angle is important for proper tuning, intonation, and transfer of string vibrating energy to the bridge. I'll do some checking and see if I can find you a number.
Ah I see what you mean. The angle of my low E is slightly more than my high E. What do you mean by "find [me] a number"? Are you talking about a recommended angle value?
I was having a similar problem earlier today. I eventually had to push the saddle pretty far back in order to get the proper intonation for the top 3 strings. Perhaps you can try adjusting the saddles as far as they'll go and working in, or vice versa.