Is there any way i can build up finger strength for times when i don't have a guitar like at school?
Get this little device they have at music stores called a gripmaster
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
pay attention in school so you can afford a guitar later in life.

...and you could do one of those grip things.
Quote by d3mon slay
Is there any way i can build up finger strength for times when i don't have a guitar like at school?

Place you hand on your desk with your fingers flat and lift them one at a time without moving your other fingers, pay particular attention to your last two fingers (ring and pinky).

Secondly; from above arch your fingers slightly and practice a trilling movement between any and all pairs of fingers, paying special attention again to the last two fingers.

Once you can do those two reasonably well you can be sure you're got at least reasonable finger independence and you should always pay more attention to the last two fingers on your hand because they are the weakest and they are quite dependent on one another.

Edit: Please do pay attention in school though; chances are you will not be a famous guitarist so make sure you have a career to go to when you leave
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Wrap an elastic band round your fingers and pull them apart. Dunno if it works but if you get bored you can always flick paper at people, that's fun.
This would probably look obvious, but get a shredneck, its like the first 12 frets of a Guitar with strings on them to practice your fingerings
sit next to a girl...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Just opening and closing your hand very quickly over and over will exercise your fore-arm tendons. If you do it for a good minute or two you'll feel the burn. Try it.
Great post, I'm going to do that finger raising thing at work when I have to sit through a "death by powerpoint" meeting.

I'm big on the School thing too. I'm in my 30s and just picking up guitar now. I'll probably buy a few nice guitars in the upcoming years since I paid attention in school, did well and it laid a solid foundation for getting me to where I am today.
Quote by Scott_K
Great post, I'm going to do that finger raising thing at work when I have to sit through a "death by powerpoint" meeting.

I'm big on the School thing too. I'm in my 30s and just picking up guitar now. I'll probably buy a few nice guitars in the upcoming years since I paid attention in school, did well and it laid a solid foundation for getting me to where I am today.

Hey. Im just ahead of you by a few years (34) and just started guitar as well. Kinda always wanted to growing up (who didnt?) but finally getting around to it. I regret not starting earlier...
THE best excersise i ever learnt was this

Put your hand on a desk and raise your palm off it so you're resting on just your fingertips. (like the hand from Addams Family) and then start by raising your index and your ring finger, then put them down and raise your middle and pinky.

REPEAT ENDLESSLY!
It'll take time at first, but within maybe 2 weeks or so, you should be going about 160 bpm and the skys the limit. Do it with both hands so they both reap the benefits of increased dexterity, increased muscle and a whole lot more control over your hand. I've seen quite a few guitarist much better than me look quite shocked when i show them how fast i can do it But damn does it help (my pinky used to be useless before doing this excersise...)
Do loads of differant combo's and do both hands at once alternating rhythms when you feel comfortable
The one legged chickens from outer space made me do it!
Before I ever played guitar I would sit tapping my fingers in order pinky-index then pinky-index, pinky-2nd finger and so on . I would do this for hours a day because I was bored, and now my pull offs are insane...=P

Now that I read the post above, I think it's just about the same thing. Yeah it helps for speed/endurance a lot, not so much finger strength.
thanks a bunch you guys. Haha I do pay attention in class i just meant like study hall or lunch, I may pick up a grip master eventually but until then I'll try the other suggestions. Thanks!