I'm trying to learn, and I'm having trouble. I'm trying that first arpeggio in the top rated article on the site (A minor triad). The mp3 is in my profile under skills. Can one of you just listen to it and tell me how I'm doing? I don't think it sounds very good but maybe I'm just expecting too much from a 3 string sweep. Thanks in advance.
I'm looking for a tab of The Marshall Plan, by Blue Oyster Cult, and of Mario Minor, by Powerglove. If you have one please PM me.
not a whole lot of note separation to my ears, ie not every note is clearly defined. try practicing it more slowly?
mmkay. I was thinking that might be the problem. Whenever I try to play it fast, it just runs together.

Practicing wise, should I work on other excercises too, or just focus on this one triad until I can sweep it awesomely and then move up a level?
I'm looking for a tab of The Marshall Plan, by Blue Oyster Cult, and of Mario Minor, by Powerglove. If you have one please PM me.
You should work on different types of sweeps. 3 string, 4 string, 5 string, and 6 string. Start slow so you get the right technique and so you are relaxed. As you feel that you get more and more comfortable with the motions is when you can start speeding up. Start with major sweeps, minor sweeps, diminished sweeps, and augmented sweeps based off of chords. If you do this, you'll even improve your knowledge of what notes are where on the fretboard, the different patterns, and which shapes to play in certain keys. Hope that helps. Depending on how much you practice this could take 1 week, 1 month, or even 1 year to truly "get down" with.
Do you have any good chord shapes to work with? Or any sweeps that would help tabbed out? There are good examples in what I've been working from but there are only a few. If I had more to work with I think it'd help. Even if you don't have anything, a link or any other tips would really be appreciated. And thanks a lot for what I've gotten so far, I think it'll help. I'm actually going to go practice more now.
Right now im learning the sweeping part in Altitudes by Jason Becker,

you might wanna check that out
The biggest problem I can hear is definitely that you need to lift your fingers off of each string as soon as you're done playing the note. No two notes should be ringing at once. Also, a bit of palm muting can help sometimes too, but isn't always necessary. Good luck and remember to practice really slow -- slower than you think.
sounds pretty sloppy and crappy to me.

slow down, and make sure you are being CLEAN. make sure to lift each finger off as you do it, and to let the pick glide down and up the strings. you almost sound like youre picking each note distinctly.

keep practicing, itll come
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
What I did, is to do it on the clean channel so the distortion doesn't cover up my mistakes, perfect it, and then start playing it faster

heres a pattern that I like to do:

-----------------5--9--5-------------------------
-------------7-------------7----------------------
----------6------------------ 6-------------------
-------7-------------------------7----------------
-----9------------------------------9-------------
---------------------------------------------------
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Last edited by EVH92 at Mar 14, 2008,
Quote by EVH92
What I did, is to do it on the clean channel so the distortion doesn't cover up my mistakes, perfect it, and then start playing it faster

ok there are a few problems with doing it this way:

#1: it sounds like **** on clean (IMO), i guess its because I dislike clean channel, so itll get repetetive, and if you arent having fun practicing then you are doing something wrong.

#2: muting. if you dont learn how to mute your sweeps correctly, theyll sound like ****, no matter how good your finger technique and speed are. playing with a bit of gain and distortion, not too much, and loud enough to really hear what youre doing, is important.

you should be able to not only feel, but hear your mistakes, NO MATTER which channel youre on.

only a complete fool can't feel and hear his mistakes with a bit of gain/distortion.
^ yes, with a bit of distortion, but he has the gain cranked up from what I can hear
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
So, is the muting done with your palm or your finger?
if I recall...there is a lot of argument about that.

im not sure if im remembering it correctly, but someone once told me palm muting the sweeps is "cheating"...BUT great players like alexi laiho palm mute and play some of the best sweeps out there.

#1: MAKE SURE to lift your finger off after each note, that will make it so the notes dont ring out

after that it comes down to feel...for me when I sweep I like allow the side of my hand to glide over the strings after I sweep through them. thus muting any small afternoise i leave behind if there is any.
make sure you practice your pick motion, just run your pick across the strings and make sure you're doing it slow enough so you can do it without feeling like you're fighting to get the notes. and from what it sounds like, like the posts before me, make sure you take your finger off a note that has been already played, no 2 notes should be ringing at the same time.

hope this helps.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.