can i leave them in and paint, or just learn how to remove them? would it affect the sound dramatically if i painted them? is it possible to remove and re-install them without a soldering gun?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Don't paint over them, that's just asking for trouble. What sort of guitar are you painting, it should be very simple to remove and reinstall, it would also not require a soldering gun.
Yamaha ERG 121, HSH, no pickguard, strat-shaped. Why would it be bad?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
no help at all?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
still no reply?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
Hmm, I think that as long as you don't paint over the metal stakes it shouldn't affect sound. Why would you want to do this though?
take them out.

-unscrew your control cavity
-disassemble any pots that are on the front
-because this doesn't have a front-access plate, you may have to unsolder the connections between your pickups and the pots etc.
-pull out the pickups from the front (should have strings off)
------

Shwiggity.
If you don't want to take anything apart (Which you really should if you are painting it), at the VERY LEAST, use some masking tape to cover the pickups, pots, etc.
*bump*

i don't want to start a new thread.

What's so wrong with painting them?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
the paint will get into the wrong places, the magnet, poles and such.

I have a fugly Invader, but I just learn to deal with the mismatched color.

ITs probably possible, but tough to do.... why are you painting strat pickups?
Single Coils? Is it not possible that you have pup covers? If so, then paining them seems to be fine in my view.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
covers are not water (and thus paint) proof. the paint will find a way into 'em
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
take off the covers and pant them then put them back on.
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
dude, why paint over them when you can spend maybe 20 minutes practicing solder. soldering irons at radio shack are like what 7 bucks, and to do it right maybe like 25 at the most for everything if you only plan on using it once..dear god painted pups would not look good matching your guitar.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
dude, why paint over them when you can spend maybe 20 minutes practicing solder. soldering irons at radio shack are like what 7 bucks, and to do it right maybe like 25 at the most for everything if you only plan on using it once..dear god painted pups would not look good matching your guitar.

+1

but I really dont think that paint would mess up a pickup. Paint doesnt really have any magnetic properties that im aware of... And you can add pickup covers without really affecting the sound, so I wouldnt think that it would effect them negatively. But I dont know... Just spend some time learning how to solder, and not worry about it? problem solved
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
paint will affect the pickup sound. Why? Well pickups work on vibrations. The waves from the strings will be altered. Could be risky if it screws the sound.
And there are some paints that do contain metal, carbon and other conductive materials Although those are generally more expensive paints.
This is how they paint pickups: They either paint a plain cover and put it over it, or they paint the bobbins, and THEN attach them to the pickup. There is no way to do the bobbins once they are on the pup. Your best bet is to do the covers. Note I have only seen this done for airbrushing and have no clue how it would work with normal paints and what not.
Pick-up covers seem interesting. is there any particular place i should look or do most shops carry them?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
Oh you just want to paint the plastic covers you can easily remove? *doh!
Yeah sorry about the mix up, you can buy those online. For more common colors, local guitar stores will carry them. You just take off your strings and pickguard. Each pickup has a plastic cover that goes over just one of them. Take it off and replace it. I don't see why you couldn't paint the plastic removable cover from a single coil.
e-bay stores.
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead