just playing with my amp today and came upon something strange
is it weird for a tube amp to have baisicly endless headroom
im not saying i dont like it but is it odd?
Well... what amp do you have? And what in God's name were you doing? (you're being ridiculously non-specific)

For short... not odd at all.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
Quote by purple tiger
just playing with my amp today and came upon something strange
is it weird for a tube amp to have baisicly endless headroom
im not saying i dont like it but is it odd?
1 - basically
2 - you don't have it.
3 - you might think you do, but you simply haven't found the limit, yet.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Was it a really old amp? Because I know a while ago all of the companies who made tube amps were in a wattage war to see who could get the loudest cleans.

But no. No such thing as ENDLESS headroom. You were probably just reluctant to turn a 100 watt amp all the way up.
So good to see you once again.
I thought that you were hiding.
And you thought that I had run away.
Chasing the tail of dogma.
I opened my eye and there we were .
Quote by soccerdude3465
Well... what amp do you have? And what in God's name were you doing? (you're being ridiculously non-specific)

For short... not odd at all.

no i mean the amp has always been like that but i barely took notice that it dosent brake up even when it cranked
Its a Fender Super60 those redknobs
i really love it and i was just thinking of the reasons i love it
chimey
flexible
not to bright not to dark
its a blackface i guese
and then at the end of the list was endless headroom
i just love that chimey sound when its needed mess around wiht the presence and the treble and get it just right
Turn it all the way up, it'll only hurt your hearing.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
well i guese it only goes for the clean side of the amp
but the dirty side is a diffrent story its sounds its best cranked
i always tought it didnt matter if there were two channels that even if its on the clean if its cranked it should brake up guese that dosent aply for this amp
Quote by purple tiger
well i guese it only goes for the clean side of the amp
but the dirty side is a diffrent story its sounds its best cranked
i always tought it didnt matter if there were two channels that even if its on the clean if its cranked it should brake up guese that dosent aply for this amp

You cranked both the preamp and master volume (or whatever they are labeled as on your particular amp) on the clean channel and it remained perfectly clean?
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
well yah
its just more bassy
cause the volumes up
ive gotten overdrive on other amps that just have one channel and no gain
like the AC15 and been able to pull off some punk but not on this amp right here
if i want overdrive im ganna have to go to the second channel
i just wanted to know if it was about time to take it in to be serviced or somthing
but i guese if its nothing irregular ill just leave it as is anywho it needs servicing anyways so ill take it in just to be on the safe side baby just turned 20 and ive only had for a year
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Dude, what amp do you have?
I doubt there's a tube power amp if it's not clipping.

i mean is it really supposed to be crunchy or at least some overdrive if its cranked
it does get crunchy when i have the presence to the left a bit
and yes its all tube
i guese it gets warmer and crisper does that count
Last edited by purple tiger at Mar 12, 2008,
Hmm... rly?
Maybe if you have a reasonable recording setup, could you send us a recording of it at low volume, then cranked?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
nah i dont have any of that stuff at all im computer retarded even if i did i wouldnt know how the **** to do it
anyone here played a epi valve junior
hey and that **** is hella funny the guy with the MG,metal zone, and the EMG's classic
or a vibrolux
when this thing is all the way cranked on the clean channel it sounds like a vibrolux at 3 not exactly tone wise but you know what im sayin
no overdrive
the clean channel of this amp is quite, quite really a vibrolux at 3 is probly what this amp sounds like when cranked
thats what i plan on buying as an upgrade amp mother ****er is hella loud just gatta wait till the baseball season starts up again so i could finnaly go to work and get it already
Last edited by purple tiger at Mar 13, 2008,
My my my. That's alot of headroom.
Maybe it was designed to be superclean?

And thanks on my sig, I think the kid was joking though. But, there's always that chance that he was serious.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^the funy thing is about this amp its that its cost me 3 bills and it just destroys the newer "affordable" line of fender Tube amps THE HOTRODS
yah the clean side of the amp is quite but it makes that up in tone
and it just destroys the HOTRODS in the overdrive channel with EHX tubes or JJ's
even with regular groovetubes
dont understand why they ever got discontinued tough
maybe this whole vintage "cosmetics" thing fender is trying to hook evryone on
HOTRODS might look vintage but when it come down to it its just a way overpriced DESCENT amp
stpid question, but what is headroom exactly? The amount of volume before your signal cracks up, and overdrives?
My Youtube Vids

"Be formless... shapeless like water.

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

Water can flow, and it can crash....Be water, my friend..." - Bruce Lee
Its most likely biased cold...did you change the tubes recently or buy it used? Rebias it and you should be fine.

I remember a while back i used an old fender princeton...turned all the way up and it was clean as a whistle...couldnt get over a vox ac30...but we were using jazz guitars with dearmond pickups so that may have played a role in that
yah its used and i should have biased
does anyone know if theres like a Bias Kit or something because it seems pretty expensive to take in an amp for service