I've been wondering for a while why i seem to have problems going to sleep before 2am and have extreme difficulties getting up early at 6 or 7AM. It seems like my body wants to go to sleep at 3am then not wake up until early afternoon. If I actually manage to get up on time I feel like crap for the rest of the day and I just can't fall asleep until at least gone midnight. Just now I found out about something called Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome and reading the description was like reading an article about myself.

Heres the wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_sleep_phase_syndrome

and an article that is scarily similar to what I'm experiencing:
http://www.sleepdisorderchannel.com/dsps/index.shtml

Thing is I'm not sure what to do about it, doesn't seem like its serious enough to go to the doctors but then again it is affecting my life. Has anyone experienced anything similar or got any ideas how I can sort this out?
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Woah... maybe that's what's wrong with me! Seriously, it takes me hours to fall asleep unless i've been up for like a day. Thanks, now I can go get checked.
Same happens with me except I have to get up every morning around 7.
If morning's a bitch with open arms, night's a girl who's gone too far.

OMGWTFBBQ
You can't self-diagnose. You can change your sleep patterns over time with sensible diet etc and exercise.
I have the same as the top thing, although tbh I am not really bothered as this is when I work best.
Quote by smb
You can't self-diagnose. You can change your sleep patterns over time with sensible diet etc and exercise.

I exercise 3-5 times a week, mostly heavy weights with a little cardio. I also eat pretty healthily but I do eat a lot because I'm trying to put on muscle. Believe me I've tried to correct my sleep pattern but going to bed early doesn't work because I can't get to sleep no matter how tired I am and I seriously can sleep through 4 loud alarms.
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Basically...just keep a healthy diet and exercise routine. start just giong to bed earlier, eventually your body will give up and you'll fall asleep earlier. then it won't be so hard to get up that early.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Wow I just read my description.
P.L.U.R.

We'll choke on our vomit and that will be the end

We were fated to pretend
Wow I just read an article written about me, crazy
GREAT ODIN'S RAVEN
Seems like its pretty common then. Here I am now at 0309 and I'm just starting to get tired. I need to be up by 0730 because I have a lab to go to. Not sure whether its worth even going to bed. Maybe if I stay up all night I'll sleep better tomorrow night.
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
thats called being a teen. i wrote a big paper about it in school and gave a speech. unfortunately i forgot a lot of the important details, but here it is in laymans terms. theres this **** in your brain that tells you wen to sleep. as a child and an adult it tells you to go to bed between like 8 and 10 ish respectively, (note that that doesnt mean you will go to bed then, youll just be more tired.) when your a teen bcuz of the changes in your body the chemicals are produced later at night telling you youre tired anywhere from 11 to like 1am. they can be off depending on your schedule but thats pretty much it. schools are retarded and stuck in their ways and refuse to change start times when it would OBVIOUSLY imporove student performance because its inconvenient for them.
^ Yeah it says on wikipedia its melatonin which is released later. Isn't that the sleep aid stuff you can buy? I might get some of that and see if it helps.
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
****, i stay up all night, and sleep at the day. And alot of times i have nightmares.
Rainbow
(I'm not gay)
Thank you TS. I read both of those, and it describes my sleep problems perfectly. I'm not just going to go around telling people this is my problem, but I'll look into this.
I feel like that on mondays. This sunday I fell asleep at 5:50 A.M. and I had to wake up for school at 6:15 A.M.

On mondays I feel like sh*t.
Quote by Axeman99
^ Yeah it says on wikipedia its melatonin which is released later. Isn't that the sleep aid stuff you can buy? I might get some of that and see if it helps.

Melatonin works wonderfully =]

Also prevents Alzheimers...
(did I butcher that word?)
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
yeah i have that. never knew it was a disorder lulz. that kinda sucks tho, the measures you have to take to "cure" it
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
^^ I think you spelt it right actually.

Might have to give that stuff a go, although I'm reading a lot of sites saying its controversial especially here in the UK.

Edit: ^ Yeah the treatments seem a bit crazy, light therapy or basically going to bed later and later each day until you're going to bed in the early evening.

Funnily enough I'd actually considered the second option a while back, only problem is I can't because you need a week free.
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
I have a terrible sleeping pattern....at the moment, I'm falling asleep at 6 or 7am and sleeping until 3 or 4pm.

However, I'm pretty sure I only have myself to blame for this....
California sunlight, sweet Calcutta rain, Honolulu star-bright, the song remains the same.

Casting quarters into wells that hold our dreams.

Believe in the freedom of music.

With our love, we could save the world.
^ Pretty much the same times as me. I thought I was to blame but I can't seem to fix it permanently no matter how hard I try.

Are you at school/college/uni?
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Axeman99
I've been wondering for a while why i seem to have problems going to sleep before 2am and have extreme difficulties getting up early at 6 or 7AM. It seems like my body wants to go to sleep at 3am then not wake up until early afternoon. If I actually manage to get up on time I feel like crap for the rest of the day and I just can't fall asleep until at least gone midnight. Just now I found out about something called Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome and reading the description was like reading an article about myself.

Heres the wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_sleep_phase_syndrome

and an article that is scarily similar to what I'm experiencing:
http://www.sleepdisorderchannel.com/dsps/index.shtml

Thing is I'm not sure what to do about it, doesn't seem like its serious enough to go to the doctors but then again it is affecting my life. Has anyone experienced anything similar or got any ideas how I can sort this out?

haha i was reading the exact same article today! coincidence
Quote by RyanGillam
You got to admire people that share their problems over the internet.

Quote by Våd Hamster
....You need a girlfriend whose name doesn't end in .jpg >_>
Quote by Axeman99
^ Pretty much the same times as me. I thought I was to blame but I can't seem to fix it permanently no matter how hard I try.

Are you at school/college/uni?

Erm....well, I'm supposed to be at Uni, but I don't really go in very much....so I basically get to sleep to whenever I like most days.

Which I think is causing the problem, because whenever I have to make an early start for whatever reason, that means I can fall asleep slightly earlier that night and wake up a bit earlier the next day.

If I had to get up early every day, I think I'd probably settle into a normal sleeping pattern pretty easily.....so yeah, I think this one is my fault!
California sunlight, sweet Calcutta rain, Honolulu star-bright, the song remains the same.

Quote by The Shadow
Erm....well, I'm supposed to be at Uni, but I don't really go in very much....so I basically get to sleep to whenever I like most days.

Which I think is causing the problem, because whenever I have to make an early start for whatever reason, that means I can fall asleep slightly earlier that night and wake up a bit earlier the next day.

If I had to get up early every day, I think I'd probably settle into a normal sleeping pattern pretty easily.....so yeah, I think this one is my fault!

I'm exactly the same, except if I get up early one day I still won't get to sleep until late and then I'll sleep in even more the next day because of it. Its really doing my head in. I could go to sleep now and get 4 hours rest before i have to be up but I'm not sure if I will be able to get up.
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
I actually don't mind it.....I quite like being awake during the night, when it seems like no one else is. Though according to that Wikipedia article, DSPS sufferers also tend to thrive during the night hours.....maybe I do have a mild case of it!

At least that would mean I'm not just lazy....