Page 1 of 2
Argument with a friend, someone solve it for me. He won't listen to me.

I say if you're referring to a band, you say "are" he insists you say, "is."

Like, "The Mars Volta suck."

or would you say, "The Mars Volta sucks."

And I don't think they suck, It's just how the argument started.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
The Mars Volta sucks.

Not saying they actually do, just that's how you would say it.

Like: Iron Maiden OWNS!, not Iron Maiden OWN!
i would say "are" but i would also say that "the mars volta suck" works as well as "the mars volta sucks" either way, the message is getting across
i think its pural but the odd tim i might say it as singular but i believe it is correct plural
Quote by andy_thomas
Were you by any chance, exposing your scrotum to an open flame?
Because a band, regardless of whether the band name is singular or plural, is a single entity or object, you refer to any band/ensemble as "is". This is the correct usage of grammar. Using "are" is simply wrong.

Ex:

"The Beatles is an iconic band of the 60's."
"Incubus is a modern rock band."

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Because a band, regardless of whether the band name is singular or plural, is a single entity or object, you refer to any band/ensemble as "is". This is the correct usage of grammar. Using "are" is simply wrong.

Ex:

You're not referring to a single entity, you're referring to four band members. I'm not saying it's because of the band name, I'm saying because you're referring to multiple people in a group. It's the same thing as, "I think they (They being four people) suck"

Not< "I think they (They being four people) sucks.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You're not referring to a single entity, you're referring to four band members. I'm not saying it's because of the band name, I'm saying because you're referring to multiple people in a group. It's the same thing as, "I think they (They being four people) suck"

Mars Volta is simply the title of the band. If you said "the members of...", then using "are" is correct.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I think I use "are" when referring to a band....i.e. "Led Zeppelin are awesome", "The Twang suck", and so on.

Yup, sounds right to me.
California sunlight, sweet Calcutta rain, Honolulu star-bright, the song remains the same.

Casting quarters into wells that hold our dreams.

Believe in the freedom of music.

With our love, we could save the world.
Quote by The Shadow
I think I use "are" when referring to a band....i.e. "Led Zeppelin are awesome", "The Twang suck", and so on.

Yup, sounds right to me.

Maybe in Scottish...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I use is, but you should use whatever gets your point across and not be a grammar Nazi about it.
Quote by Xiaoxi

Ex:

I'm pretty sure he's right. It sounds improper because a lot of bands have plural words as their name. However, because a band is a single entity, then you use the singular "is".

It's different if you are referring to them as members of a group, something like
"The members of the Beatles are all amazing musicians"
vs. "The Beatles is made up of amazing musicians"

maybe?
Quote by Xiaoxi
Mars Volta is simply the title of the band. If you said "the members of...", then using "are" is correct.

Yes, but I'm not saying, "The title The Mars Volta sucks." If we were referring to the title of the band, I'd say you were right. But in itself, the insult is directed at the members of the band. So, it's the same thing as saying, "Omar, Cedric, Jon, etc, suck."

You wouldn't say, "Omar, Cedric, Jon, etc sucks."
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill

Aren't you referring to the band as a whole when you say the band same? "Primus is made up of talented musicians." vs "Primus are made up of talented musicians." The band is a group made by three separate people, but I am calling them one thing by the band name.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Yes, but I'm not saying, "The title The Mars Volta sucks." If we were referring to the title of the band, I'd say you were right. But in itself, the insult is directed at the members of the band. So, it's the same thing as saying, "Omar, Cedric, Jon, etc, suck."

You wouldn't say, "Omar, Cedric, Jon, etc sucks."

That's why you say "the members of..." Again, even though you might mean to refer to the individuals within the group, your diction still refers to the title by standard conventions.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
Aren't you referring to the band as a whole when you say the band same? "Primus is made up of talented musicians." vs "Primus are made up of talented musicians." The band is a group made by three separate people, but I am calling them one thing by the band name.

Ooh this post wins - that's the best argument by far.
Quote by kirbyrocknroll

The band name would be a short hand for saying, "Les Claypool, Larry, Brain." That's the point of having a title, so I don't have to go through a list of 30 people.

You would be saying, "Those guys are amazing musicians." or "Les, Larry, and Brain are amazing musicians.
Quote by vintage x metal

no matter if the band name is singular or plural, you are referring to one band, therefore "The Mars Volta sucks"
Join the Palomino Players Guild!
Guitars:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR (18v mod; Big Block, D-Tuna)
1975 Les Paul Custom replica

Amps:
Orange Dual Terror Head
B-52 AT 212 - might sell this
Palomino V16...dead
Quote by kasso
no matter if the band name is singular or plural, you are referring to one band, therefore "The Mars Volta sucks"

It has nothing to do with the title, it has to do with the people involved. He's saying the people involved suck. The title of the band, plural or not, refers to however many people. That's why when you read a book about the Black Panthers, you would read,

"The Black Panthers were just trying to improve race relations." Not, "The Black Panthers was just trying to improve race relations." Because you're referring to those specific people, those four or five guys.
Quote by vintage x metal

It depends on whether the verb following is being acted by the band as a whole, or by its individual members.

ie. The police is cracking down on crime. vs. The police are wearing their new uniforms.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Depends on the band names.

The Ramones suck.

Iron Maiden sucks.

You see?
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
I refer to them as a single entity which would make it
"The Mars Volta sucks"
Which is an incredibly false statement, but just saying.
If morning's a bitch with open arms, night's a girl who's gone too far.

OMGWTFBBQ
Quote by Jack Off Jill
The band name would be a short hand for saying, "Les Claypool, Larry, Brain." That's the point of having a title, so I don't have to go through a list of 30 people.

You would be saying, "Those guys are amazing musicians." or "Les, Larry, and Brain are amazing musicians.

Tim*

What about something like "class"? The class (single group of separate people) is going on a field trip. Wouldn't "class" refer to the group of separate people as one whole unit, going on a field trip?
Last edited by kirbyrocknroll at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
Tim*

What about something like "class"? The class (single group of separate people) is going on a field trip. Wouldn't "class" refer to the group of separate people as one whole unit, going on a field trip?

But what were they *the class* doing when they got there?

"So I went to see The Mars Volta last night."

"Oh yeah? How were they?"

"They were great, or they sucked."
Quote by vintage x metal

If they're any good, you should refer to them as an entity, an idea.

Metallica rules
Iron Maiden rules
Children of Bodom rules

Edit: Actually, for the most part I think I agree with abcdboy. Except for Children of Bodom for some reason...
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
It would be 'The Mars Volta suck'. It would be Ebony sucks.

Jack Off Jill is 20 times smarter than his friend.
Quote by abcdboy

The Ramones suck.

Iron Maiden sucks.

You see?

WIN.
Quote by Time Bomb
WIN.

Not win. The singular or pluralness of the band name doesn't have any effect.

Marilyn Manson=Band as well as a person.

I saw Marilyn Manson (Band) last night. They were amazing.

I saw Marilyn Manson (person) sing last night. He was amazing.
Quote by vintage x metal

Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by Xiaoxi

Ex:

'The Beatles is' sounds stupid. I think it's plural, seeing as each member is a Beatle.
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by rush5757
how about everyone agrees to disagree?

How about they admit I'm right or GTFO?
Quote by vintage x metal

It depends on the verb, and what is being intended.

The Mars Volta sucks = the band sucks, as a unit.

The MV suck = the individual band members each perform the verb to suck.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
i think it depends on which band youre talking about and how you say the name

eg:
i would say "the darkness sucks" (not really, i love them)
but i would also say "the red hot chili peppers suck" (love them too)
BUT, i would also say "rhcp sucks" :O

so maybe it depends on if the name is a plural?
the mars volta sucks, but the mars voltas suck.
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
Hmm. I still stand by my original post. Let's say all guys named Bob suck. In other words Bobs suck.

The Ramones suck.

The Ramones are a group, but the name reflects their multitude. At least in my opinion. I doubt that this is actually a subject of debate for those official grammar guys.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Quote by abcdboy

The Ramones suck.

Iron Maiden sucks.

You see?

+1

My cool sig is cool and I suck at guitar.
mars volta sucks
"Where the Beatles wanted to hold your hand, the Stones wanted to fuck your sister or daughter"

My profile
Quote by abcdboy
Hmm. I still stand by my original post. Let's say all guys named Bob suck. In other words Bobs suck.

The Ramones suck.

The Ramones are a group, but the name reflects their multitude. At least in my opinion. I doubt that this is actually a subject of debate for those official grammar guys.

That's what I said, only with the Beatles.
<Han> I love Hitler
Page 1 of 2