I was wondering if anyone could tell me some good classical guitar music to listen to. I have been listening to music that is influenced by classical music and I am curious about how actual classical music sounds. So can anyone recomend some classical songs to listen to(more specifically ones played on guitar)?
Agustin Barrios Mangore - La Catedral
Look up a bunch of Bach Fugues translated to guitar
Though it is a novelty song, Tenacious D's 'Classico' contains melodies from various famous classical compositions.

I could be wrong, wait for Madcap to chime in.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Look for any of Paganini's Caprices played on guitar, three names I have seen consistently with these are Malmsteen, Becker and Vai but I'm sure there are countless others.
..... except Malmsteen et al aren't classical players....

Look for the following players:
Andres Segovia (the undisputed master of the entire 20th century)
John Williams (not the film score composer - heir to the throne of Segovia upon his passing)
Julian Bream
Narcisso Yepes
Alexander Lagoya
Ida Presti
Christopher Parkening

Lots of others, but you sure can't go wrong starting with them.

Recommended composers:
Bach - especially the lute suites.... wow!
Fernando Sor (yeah, the 'studies' guy - his theme and variations on Mozart's Magic Flute is an awesome piece)
John Downland (renaissance.... composed for lute, but fantastic arrangements for guitar)
Tarrega
Villa Lobos (no relation to Los Lobos - Spanish with a modern flair)

There is SO much out there, but that's a good starting point.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
love song by tesla
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by axemanchris

Yes, but he asked for classical pieces played on guitar. Paganini's Caprices on guitar fall into that category.
The Bach cello sonatas transcribed for guitar are magical and fantastic for finger picking training.
OMG OMG OMG do not go for Malmsteen and stuff, that is NOT classical music.

Look up John Williams on youtube. He's an amazing classical guitar player (real classical guitar).

And for the record, it's not the cello sonatas, it's the cello suites..they're unaccompanied and in the suite structure.
Quote by axemanchris

Look for the following players:
Andres Segovia (the undisputed master of the entire 20th century)
John Williams (not the film score composer - heir to the throne of Segovia upon his passing)
Julian Bream
Narcisso Yepes
Alexander Lagoya
Ida Presti
Christopher Parkening

Lots of others, but you sure can't go wrong starting with them.

Recommended composers:
Bach - especially the lute suites.... wow!
Fernando Sor (yeah, the 'studies' guy - his theme and variations on Mozart's Magic Flute is an awesome piece)
John Downland (renaissance.... composed for lute, but fantastic arrangements for guitar)
Tarrega
Villa Lobos (no relation to Los Lobos - Spanish with a modern flair)

There is SO much out there, but that's a good starting point.

CT

Wow. That is a pretty complete list of classical "canon". Unfortunately is all either real classical or latin. Somehow though, I believe the TS was asking for classical music that influenced rock players - like Vai, Yngwie, various "neo-classical" metal bands. So Paganini is like the standard choice.

VILLA LOBOS VILLA LOBOS VILLA LOBOS! sorry, I've gotten laid TWICE because of his Preludes. girls dig that sh*t
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by SOAD_freak777
I was wondering if anyone could tell me some good classical guitar music to listen to... I am curious about how actual classical music sounds. ...

No, I think he wants to get away from the Vai, Malmsteen, etc. and go to *actual* classical.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

The Villa Lobos preludes are quite difficult to play, but are very nice pieces. The Bach cello suites are great too. (also difficult to play....)

CT

paco de lucia and jon mclaughlin and al di meola. not exactly classical but very good
I don't want to spark a pointless argument but there are some guitarists out there that may not be as famous or established in society as Williams or Segovia but they are more competent. This is not taking credit away from them, because they are excellent suggestions.

Anyway, TS, after discovering classical guitar, open your ears to classical music in general. Bach, Debussy, Stravinsky, Vivaldi, Schubert, Mendelssohn, Mozart, Beethoven etcetc. I tried to give you a few varied names, just so that you weren't stuck with one single division or genre of classical.