I was wondering the answer to this question because every singer that I've performing music with has no clue what they're doing in accordance to theory, but that may be a biased fact in rock/metal where I've seen many other guitarist/bassists who have the same issue (not to even mention drummers). So do is more common for singers of any genre to generally know more theory then guitarists. What do you think?
dude choir. if you get a singer who does choir or some other formal type of singing then theyll know some theory. if you just get some guy who can match pitch and sound pretty hell know **** about theory cuz hes never learned it.
It depends on whether they're schooled or not. A guy who is just able to sing won't know jack, but a fellow who takes lessons or plays another instrument could know a good deal.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
if they only sing, and don't take lessons or somthing god no. they won't know any theory
Quote by bpoeoanry
go back to sleep
Waking up with boobs? Is there a visine for that.
They're the only people I can think of who generally know less theory than guitarists. A classically trained/trained at all of either will, but an average guy/girl who is just able to sing is more common.
I think a singer would generally know less theory than a guitarist. Before my voice change, and for a year or two after, I was a singer, and I think a great one. This was before I became a guitarist. I didn't know a lick of theory, I just did everything by ear and what sounded good. The upside was that I naturally had a great ear. I think a good ear would be more common in a singer than a guitarist, and guitarists are forced to learn theory to compensate.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
You don't really need to know music theory for singing so there's no point to learn it.. If you can tell what's out of pitch/key and have decent rhythm then you can sing. It's just like an automatic thing in the human brain I guess since we grow up around music since day 1.
If they're serious about learning music, no matter what instrument or even vocals... Then they'll learn theory XP I learnt theory through piano first, then vocals and guitar. In that order, their main foces is mostly on different things.
I'm a singer, and before I started playing bass, I sang in a number of choirs, including a school choir, a barbershop quartet, and a choir that did a duet with the Vienna Boy's Choir, singing a song that was specially written for the occasion by their conductor, and in 2006 I had a year of voice lessons, but I knew very little theory. I knew which notes were quick and which were slow, and I knew when to go up and down, but that was it. You really don't need to have a particularly good knowledge of theory to be a singer. It helps, but until you get into solo classical singing, you should be right.