Hi guys, I'm new to the bass forum, and to bass guitars in general, so i'm hoping to get a little advice.

I am looking into getting into the bass world - I have played guitar for many years, mostly acoustic, and I have a 30W Kustom Mixer that I use for my acoustic-electric. It would be nice if I could just pick up a decent bass guitar without having to invest a heap into a new amp... at least not yet. I am wondering if this mixer would work as a bass amp? And if so, would it be pretty good? If not for at least practice, would it be gig-worthy? It think it seems that mixers are generally pretty good for a wide variety of things, from mics to guitars, etc.

It's a Kustom KMA35DFX
http://www.kustom.com/product_detail.aspx?TypeID=7&FamilyID=95&ProductID=131&Tab=3

Will it suffice?
definatly not...you need to get another proper bass amp, a bass thru a guitar amp first off will sound like crap and it will blow after a while...and 30W is decent for practice but the rule of thump is you want 4 times as many watts fort bass amps as the guitar amp your jamming with

if the guitar amp is 100W you would want 400W
i dont think you need a full 400 but you need a decent amount more

look in the faq at the top of the forum there is a whole section for amps

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
30w for bass is really weak

100w minimum, but theres bassists in my area's local scene that never go anywhere without 200w tube or 1400w ss
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
If you are just gonna have it for practice it will be fine. I don't think you could be loud enough on bass with it unless it was gonna be played in a small quite set with acoustics.
Quote by the boogieman
30w for bass is really weak

100w minimum, but theres bassists in my area's local scene that never go anywhere without 200w tube or 1400w ss

i hope that was a typo and you meant 400w...
Gear:

Basses:
2008 American Standard Fender Jazz
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Ashdown MAG 300 C410T + 1x15
Effects:
SansAmp 3-Channel Bass Driver D.I.
Quote by Narcotics
definatly not...you need to get another proper bass amp, a bass thru a guitar amp first off will sound like crap and it will blow after a while...and 30W is decent for practice but the rule of thump is you want 4 times as many watts fort bass amps as the guitar amp your jamming with

A keyboard amp is fine for bass, don't let the shovanism of this post effect your decision.

30watts is fine for practice but if you do want to jam eventually 100watts will get you heard, if not you're probably doing damage to your ears
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by -zj*
i hope that was a typo and you meant 400w...

im actually not kidding

bassists in my area in the hardcore scene are very very loud and dirty with very impressive rigs
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by the boogieman
im actually not kidding

bassists in my area in the hardcore scene are very very loud and dirty with very impressive rigs

But on records they drop out the mix like a stone.

If you need 1400W, the venues you would be playing are either huge stadiums or big ones with no PA.

And tbh, you dont really go for huge high wattages for the volume, (wattage to volume is not proportional remember) you do it for the headroom and last time I checked, "hardcore scene kids" are a million miles away from tone purists.

If you want to "compete" then all you would need is a trace elliot 300W second hand rig. The old SMX series was good. You'll have all the power you probably need and a top of the range amplifier. (They were flagship models 10 years ago)

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Narcotics

Load of crap. It's a keyboard amp, so it'll do fine until you eventually want to upgrade to a proper bass amp.

Like everyone said though, 30W is only really good for practising.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Yeah, it should work, but it won't be very loud and it definitely won't be very bassy-sounding with a single 10" speaker. But it shouldn't blow up or anything; I used to use my 80 watt keyboard amp all the time, but it had a pretty mediocre sound.
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Quote by Narcotics

First of all, this is a forum, not instant messaging, on a forum correct sentence structure, grammar, spelling and punctuation are vital for people to understand you so maybe make your posts a little more comprehensible by using proper English.

Secondly, like has been said already, it's a keyboard amp, basses work and sound fine through keyboard amps.

TS, like everyone else has said, 30 watts won't hold its own in a gig situation, fine for practising though. If your venue had a PA then you could mic up the amp though if there was no better-suited amps available at the venue.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Keyboard amps are fine for basses, I own a Pignose H30 which is designed for bass and keyboards. But your amp is going to sound less than ideal for two reasons, and I would recommend as soon as you can, pull together some cash for a new amp:

1. Its a keyboard amp, so your bass isn't going to sound as full as it could.

2. Its a Kustom lower wattage amp which means that its not built as well as its higher end brothers in the Kustom line. I've owned two Kustom amps (a pathetic KBA10 and your amp) and they don't hold up to much abuse or use over time. There are better options in that economic space. Also shoot for more wattage when you do buy a new amp. For serious gigging with a band, you need at minimum 100 - 150 W to be heard over at least the drummer.
Quote by indie-bassist
First of all, this is a forum, not instant messaging, on a forum correct sentence structure, grammar, spelling and punctuation are vital for people to understand you so maybe make your posts a little more comprehensible by using proper English.

Indie, I thought you were a regular! Narcotics has always been terrible with grammer. And spelling. Hell, anything related to language.

EDIT: Oh, to make it not spam.

30W is prime practice amp area right there. To give you an idea of what you need, 100W will struggle with a drummer on gigs. I reccomend you get 120W amp, a 1x12" would fit, 1x15" would be even better. If you want to splurge, a 4x10" will last you for any gigs you do.

However, if you really do not want to buy a new amp, you may be able to hook your amp to the PA system when you gig. Of course, this means that if your gig does not have a PA system you are screwed.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Last edited by kranoscorp at Mar 16, 2008,