Hi guys, I need a little bit of advice.
I bought a guitar a few years ago, a BC Rich NJ Series Mockingbird with a Floyd Rose bridge. I've played bass for countless years and just wanted a medium guitar to play around with in my spare time. I did not realize the headache that the bridge would cause me.

1. What's happening to me is this. I string the guitar, I tune it, I lock in the top and I fine tune each string. Everything is going well. I'll play for a couple of minutes, and then all of a sudden one string will be grossly out of tune. It's usually the thick E or the G. This will happen without palm muting and without using the whammy (i dont even have it screwed in). I can correct the tuning with the fine-tuning knobs on the bridge once or twice, but after it happens repeatedly I need to take off the lock at the top and retune the whole guitar. This is not worth the effort for how little I play each session.

2. Sometimes when I'm using the whammy, or simply pushing on the bridge with the gob of my hand to bend the notes, everything will fall out of tune. And we're not just talking even steps, we're talking "unplug, take everything apart, and fully retune the guitar". Why is this happening?

3. This is the part where you probably start making fun of me. I had my guitar set-up by a professional about six months ago (becuase i got fed up with the tuning issues) but I found that the second and third frets were humming on the thicker strings. I raised the bridge with a few turns of an allen key to make this stop. Was I wrong to have done that?

and Finally, as you read above, I had this set-up by a professional a few months back., and on a couple occassions in the past. Other than raising and lowering the bridge a bit to get the notes to stop unneccesary rattling, I've made no modifications. I'm pretty much a guitar-hardware noob. I simply cannot afford to spend 100+ dollars having a professional fixing my problem for me every few months, especially since I don't play the thing more than a couple hours per week.

So is there anything I can do to put this sucker in tune, and have it STAY IN TUNE as a floyd rose bridge is supposed to do? I play lightly, I don't push bend notes with the bridge often, I'm not shreddding metal on a regular basis. Not with this guitar. Where am I going wrong?

Thanks for your time guys.

P.S. I use Ernie Ball regular slinkies. I assume that'll be asked.
try using a lighter gauge of strings
5 out of 5 kids who murder people listen to Slayer.
Well, your problem lies within the quality of the floyd itself. instead of spending x amount of money trying to correct it, just buy a better floyd.

Or do the easy thing, block the bridge. if that doesnt stop it, i don't know what will.

Also, how much did you pay to get it set up. i may go get mine done on the weekend and im wondering how much cash i should bring.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
I have a '99 Bich NJ that has the same problem. It's also been set up properly by a guy who I personally trust. I really think that some of the "licensed" Floyd trems have such inconsistancies in their machining tolerances, that you will probably have problems. My intended fix is to get an original Floyd to drop in there.
I really think that a lot of the problem stems from the stock locking nut. I have never had problems with a Kahler locking nut, but have had a couple of Floyds do the same thing. I think that I may fiddle with the nut before I drop the coin to put a whole new replacement trem.
(responding to three threads here)

Ok I'll try a different gauge of strings tomorrow and see if that helps at all.

I don't like the idea of blocking the bridge, but I may do it as a temporary fix. What do you use to do it? I certainly don't want to scratch the finish =P And I paid about 100-120 bucks to have it setup i believe.

And ok. I might look into getting a real floyd rose put on. How much would this cost me, parts and labor? If it's a definate fix and will make the bridge work perfectly and as intended, I'm all for it. I've been so frustrated with this guitar that I'm ready to sell it / smash it / give it away. I just love the feel and the sound of it though. And I don't always have a problem with the tuning. When I restring it, it seems to be in great shape for a few days. I've had these strings on for two weeks. Also when I first got the guitar, and after having it set up professionally, it generally stays in tune. So it leads me back to my previous question, could messing around with the height of the bridge (the two screws that raise and lower it) on one side and not the other effect my tuning problems? Remember i did this to prevent the humming noise i was getting when playing the lower frets. I dont know anything about adjusting hardware, and did this solely because i figured it would alleviate my problem. I'm not even sure why the bridge is adjustable on both sides, to be quite honest.
Quote by Rockmoore
I paid about 100-120 bucks to have it setup i believe.

WTF!!! thats all the money i got. Where'd you get it done?

and a new OFR goes for about $160 on ebay

EDIT: to block the bridge, just cut out chunk(s) of wood to place in between the spaces of the floyd.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
I got it done at a local shop in town. They set me up with new strings too, and apparently there's a lot of work to be done inside with the springs and what-not. I dont know anything about hardware as I said, maybe I've been "had".

But regardless, I'm sitting here repeatedly tuning my guitar. Unlocking the strings, setting the tuning one string at a time over and over until they're all 99%, and then locking up and fine-tuning afterward. and then I'll play for a chord or two and something will start to fall out. I don't get it guys, I just dont get it. And then I'll push on the bridge in frustration (lightly, i might add), and the strings will literally sound like someone has randomly turned every knob five times in various directions. This isn't right. I've spent four hours trying to figure this out. Another 130-150 bucks in parts alone is too much for me. I've already spend as much money dealing with this thing as I did buying it. I'm a beginner guitar player, and originally just wanted something to mess around with. I'm thinking it's time to sell this sucker and find a non-floating bridge. Unless anyone has any revolutionary ideas? =P
Have you given the strings a good stretching?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Typically I do, as I've heard this is really important. How to do this properly though I'm kinda lost. Normally I just attached the strings without the locking nut on, and bend the bridge along it's full range a bunch of times. Is this right?
Best case scenario:

Maybe your neck is shifting from side-to-side (loose bolt-neck screws)
A philips head screwdriver will get it done for free...
(unless its neck-thru which would moot my point!)

...or your locknut "pads" and/or string-saddle clamps have grooves in them from the strings.

Cheap fix scenario:

After a long time of use, this case being 9 years loved,
the strings will eventually dig grooves into the nut and pads where they "meet" .
It's the same thing as erosion from "repetitive movement syndrome".
Remove all 3 pads and flip them over.
There should be groove marks on the nut itself and the pad bottoms.
That is what allows slippage even after locking.

New locknut, new trem springs are all you should need.
30-40 bucks

The wallet whomper scenario:
....The bridge saddle clamps, those little blocks inside each saddle piece where you put the end of the string in, are also grooved from wear over time thus causing slippage.

Those little things are harder to find than Jimmy Hoffa and Elvis!

New trem system needed.
$200-$400.

Hope this helps.
Cheers!
Quote by steven seagull
Have you given the strings a good stretching?

+1
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Ok. Feel free to laugh at me. How do I go about giving the strings "a good stretching"?
Quote by Rockmoore
Ok. Feel free to laugh at me. How do I go about giving the strings "a good stretching"?

1.Tune and pull on them in different places
2. Repeat....A lot
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist