I'm starting to play bigger shows and I want to upgrade my bass rig but don't know where to start. I strictly use old tube equipment and have little knowlege of the newer stuff (heads and cabs). My bass rig for years has been a Fender Showman head run through twin JBL 200 watt cab towers. I want to upgrade to something louder and more modern sounding because the band I'm in now has two guitarists and I need to compete in the voulume wars now. Are solid state heads really that bad, or should I consider them? What are the new guys running for cabs these days? any suggestions are welcolm. Please help.
Wrong forum, take it to Bass forums or GG&A please.
*reported to get moved*
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
budget? generally speaking, solid state heads are just fine for bass, many people actually prefer the 'transparency' of tone that they give. according to many, a good solid state head can put out just about any tone you will ever need. they are also a lot cheaper and lighter.
i thought i had magic fingers once, and had uncovered the fountain of love.

turns out my girlfriend was just peeing on me.
Quote by the_random_hero
*reported to get moved*

isn't this the bass forum?

anyways, i agree, i'm looking for a new bass amp and anything decent i'm looking at is SS...

of course, i'm looking at things substantially smaller than what you're going for...
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by the_random_hero
*reported to get moved*

Erm....okay then

If its within your budget, I'd go for a Carvin stack.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Guys, it was obviously posted in another forum then moved here.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
If you're a fan of Fender, there's the Bassman line of amps. They're tube, but more modern.

I'm going to guess that your budget is large enough to get something decent, so that's what I'll suggest. It's hard to go wrong when you get to a certain price range. Carvin makes good stuff, but good luck finding a place to test some out. Ampeg is always good, but it sounds like an Ampeg. Trace Elliot, Markbass, Gallien-Krueger, Peavey, Aguilar are all good brands, it's just up to choice and price range.

For cabs: Eden cabs, and every brand I listed for amps makes good cabs. It's just up to you to get out and test them out to see what you like.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it