Ok I have a really crazy wiring idea that I am trying to work through and need some sort of schematic for. It’s going to be for a custom job I am getting done and I need to provide the harness or schematics for it.

Parts:
(5) 500k DPDT Audio tapered pots
(2) .022 Caps
(2) .047 Caps
4-way strat lever switch
5-way strat lever switch

I am going to wire two of the DPDT pots as slopped tone controls. I have schematics for this already. One will be for the neck humbucker and the single coil and the other will be for the bridge humbucker. The other three pots will be volume controls for each pickup and phase switches.

Now here is where it gets tricky. The 5-way switch will be the actual pickup selector switch. Pretty standard as far as wiring goes. The 4-way switch will alter the combinations that the 5-way switch will give me. Something like this:

5-way w/ 4-way in position 1:
1) Bridge hb
2) Bridge outer coil & middle sc parallel
3) Middle sc
4) Neck outer coil & middle sc parallel
5) Neck hb

5-way w/ 4-way in position 2:
1) Outside bridge coil
2) Middle sc & outer bridge coil series
3) All 3 in series
4) Middle sc & outer neck coil series
5) Outside neck coil

5-way w/ 4-way in position 3:
1) Bridge inner coil
2) Bridge inner coil & middle sc parallel
3) Neck & Bridge humbuckers parallel
4) Neck inner coil & middle sc parallel
5) Neck inner coil

5-way w/ 4-way in position 4:
1) Neck outer coil, middle single coil and bridge outer coil in series or Bridge hb & middle sc
2) Bridge inner coil & middle sc series
3) Neck & Bridge humbuckers series
4) Neck inner coil & middle sc series
5) Neck hb & middle sc

Now this is all a lot of work and miles of wire. Would something this complicated be detrimental to the overall tone? I figure the more leads I am running the more drain that would be on the signal. Also I figure the tones would be very similar in instances like the neck outer coil and middle sc compared to the neck inner coil and middle sc. If that’s the case I’ll change the wiring scheme a bit to suit.

As an alternative I was thinking about replacing the single coils volume control with a blend control but I am not sure how it would work. Would the blend control mesh all the pickups together or add volume to the single coil to bring it into the signal path? Are their dpdt pots that are taken out of the circuit when turned all the way down? Anywho this is all crazy so any help would be appreciated.

EDIT:
One last thing about phase switching. Lets say you have a phase switch on neck humbucker and one on the bridge humbucker. You have both humbuckers running in parallel or series and you flip the phase switch on the neck humbucker. Would you get the same tone as if you flipped the phase switch on the bridge humbucker? If you do get the same tones I can simplify the schematic alot and make this headache a bit simpler.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
Last edited by OsirisProtocol at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by OsirisProtocol
Now this is all a lot of work and miles of wire. Would something this complicated be detrimental to the overall tone?
The amount of wire really won't affect the tone as much as it will serve as an antenna to pick up hum and noise. Shielding will be very important.

Quote by OsirisProtocol
As an alternative I was thinking about replacing the single coils volume control with a blend control but I am not sure how it would work.
Blend controls are intended to balance between two pickups. They are generally used INSTEAD of switches.

Quote by OsirisProtocol
EDIT:
One last thing about phase switching. Lets say you have a phase switch on neck humbucker and one on the bridge humbucker. You have both humbuckers running in parallel or series and you flip the phase switch on the neck humbucker. Would you get the same tone as if you flipped the phase switch on the bridge humbucker? If you do get the same tones I can simplify the schematic alot and make this headache a bit simpler.
Yes. It doesn't matter which pickup is out of phase.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Thanks for the help. I've breaking down the wiring a bit after to simplify it and get rid of certain options that I more then likely won't use.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
So the 4-way is more all the fancy things with the pickup? I'm not much of an expert but you'd want to shield this many wires.