Page 1 of 2
Why is it that metal bands these days have to resort to tuning down to sound heavy? I mean listen to "Battery" by Metallica or "raining blood" by Slayer you don't see Kerry King and James Hetfield tuning down to C and they still manage to pummel your ears!

</rant>

P.S. I don't mind drop D though
Alot of drop C songs are songs that you can play by just picking up a guitar even if you've never played in your life..... it takes skill to play heavy stuff in standard tuning :P
Ibanez RG350DX - ESP LTD EC-500

Peavey JSX 212 Combo - Digitech RP 250
I was thinking that exact same thing last night...

But i dont really know the answer... All i know is that is really bugs me
Gear:
Vox Valvetronix amp
Gibson Les Paul
Fender MIA Strat (soon with SeymourD. Pearly Gates humbucker)
---------------------------------

The chicken obviously came before the egg....of course I only say that because I hate eggs.
dunno.. but I don't care. metal is metal in my book.
What the hell were you thinking?

i duno lol. tihs r liek wen i traid drawn maiself n teh t0ilit.

ROFL.

EPICPHAIL.

gess i cant dai.
Kerry uses drop C#/Db sometimes =/
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
e d or c are all correct, it's just what appeals to you

i dunno why this is such a big deal for people

power chord + e = brutal
power chord + c = holy ****
Fear Factory are heavy as sh*t and they play in Standard B/A but standard is probably my fav tuning to play old school Metallica/Pantera
Have you ever heard the difference between standard E tunning and Standard C? It's huge and it doesn't require any less talent to play like that. The same relationship between dropped D and C. If you really think it takes less talent though, that's fine, but just imagine what somebody with lots of talent can do in C. Besides, it's not like Slayer is the most talented band out there, and the same goes to Metallica.
i think more so its just for achieving different sounds. i mean look. jimmy page used different tuning to achieve some sounds. same with SRV, tuned down for voice and a heavier tone. i personally hate crazy metal like that but just let them play
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by guitarnoize
which raises the question why bother?! so much hassle for so little reward!

because there are some things you have to play in that tuning, for example take a song like stockholm syndrom from muse, its in drop D, you cant play it in e very well, you could attemp buy playing it on the D string, but its not the same, it loses depth, and you cant play it with the E because you dont have the lower open notes. so you need it some times.

and on another note, drop C works well because you dont get a really high C note on the A string, you just get a really bass deep sound. it just goes better with the chord progression.

EDIT: oh and its not a hassle if you have more than one guitar, i have 3 electrics all in different tunings, on in E one in drop Db and one in drop C, and i dont even play metal!
Last edited by aaron6890 at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by thejester
i think more so its just for achieving different sounds. i mean look. jimmy page used different tuning to achieve some sounds. same with SRV, tuned down for voice and a heavier tone. i personally hate crazy metal like that but just let them play

I'm not talking about Open tunings though, I totally understand that by using open tunings you can play things impossible in standard tuning what I don't get is just tuning all strings down to make it sound heavier. I use DADGAD to play on acoustic sometimes for celtic sounding music and I use drop D a lot on acoustic playing fingerstyle too and for the record I never said anything about drop C is used by players with less skill I wasn't implying that at all.
well the way i see it, you get more freedom in your playing. in Drop D, ringing out in open notes gives you a D chord. while in E you don't get a lower D if you ring out. my band plays in Drop C, and i'll admit that i first started doing that because other bands were doing that.

But it's hard to move from Drop D to Drop C it takes skill and patience and you can do so much more stuff. try finding a deathmetal band these days that doesn't drop tune. Listen to Necrophagist and you'll see that even though they are in D tuning (not dropped) they play more skilled guitar playing than Metallica or Slayer. Not to say it makes them better, but you can tell that there is difference.
Plus, for breakdowns you don't wanna play on an open E, it just sounds stupid
Class of 2010

University of California, Santa Barbara
Quote by cpt_pimp
well the way i see it, you get more freedom in your playing. in Drop D, ringing out in open notes gives you a D chord. while in E you don't get a lower D if you ring out. my band plays in Drop C, and i'll admit that i first started doing that because other bands were doing that.

But it's hard to move from Drop D to Drop C it takes skill and patience and you can do so much more stuff. try finding a deathmetal band these days that doesn't drop tune. Listen to Necrophagist and you'll see that even though they are in D tuning (not dropped) they play more skilled guitar playing than Metallica or Slayer. Not to say it makes them better, but you can tell that there is difference.
Plus, for breakdowns you don't wanna play on an open E, it just sounds stupid

Hell ya muhhamad from necrophaigist, Also Luke Jagear from Sleep terror, Both amazing tech guitarist
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by guitarnoize
Can I just clear something up, do you consider drop C to be CADGBE or CGCFAD?

Drop c is CGCFAD, i don't like playing in drop, i play in B all the time for Fear Factory and the album I'm playing is in BEADGB
I play a lot of stuff 1 step down because my guitars are set up for D Standard, so it's easier to go to Drop C than Drop D.
EDIT: Also my voice is very low.
Last edited by 3lusiv3 at Mar 13, 2008,
Drop C only sounds good if you have heavy strings and tight distortion. I like to play in standard tuning. Its like the first guy said, when i first started out, I only ever played songs in drop tuning.
Why wouldn't you tune lower? I think the lower register suits modern metal very well. It's not like it takes less "skill" to use it, and even if it did.. well, music isn't a competition. If you like making music with a certain tuning, you should do just that.

Also, drop tunings are very handy. You can play powerchords in otherwise impossible ways. And you can bend them easier (<- I love bending powerchords in drop tunings).
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
The prime reason for drop tuning is to achieve one finger power chords. This can be done in any variation of tune, as long as the tuning you are using is uses the same intervals as standard (EADGBE).

Down-tuning is a different story. The reason for down-tuning is to get a heavier sound. It can be used to change the key of the song. 99% of the bands who use low drop tunings (C,B,A#) use their open note as the key for all their songs. A lower key makes for a heavier sound.

Lower=deeper=heavier.

Metal/Hardcore are heavy types of music. Do the math.
Some people just like a different feeling. I've been playing in drop D the last 6 or 7 years and just recently for no reason, tuned to drop B. And now I love it, had my guitar re-strung to suit and everything. It's not because it's "heavier" or "brutal" or anything, it's just that everything I had written in drop D played on the exact same frets etc. actually sounded a little bit more interesting and had more feeling.

Also as song writers we tend to fall in to certain habits of how we write, ie. every guitarist has their signature style. But when you change the dynamic of your guitars sound that drastically, you find yourself trying things that never really occured before, or wouldn't appeal in another tuning. Plus with most metal, you spend a hell of alot of your time coming back to the open note on your top string, so changing this can almost be as refreshing as moving house or something, lol
I very rarely go below drop D and when I do, it isn't to play metal, even in drop D I don't play metal. Dropped or lower tunings don't sound good if you don't know how to use them right, and most metal bands who play in those tunings don't, they just do it because they have some kind of delusion that it makes them sound 'heavy'.
Metallica are one of the best-sounding metal bands out there and they sound heavy as f*ck in E standard. Proof that you don't need to tune down to sound heavy.
Modern metal bands just do it because its easier than actally making the effort to produce something good in standard.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru
I very rarely go below drop D and when I do, it isn't to play metal, even in drop D I don't play metal. Dropped or lower tunings don't sound good if you don't know how to use them right, and most metal bands who play in those tunings don't, they just do it because they have some kind of delusion that it makes them sound 'heavy'.
Metallica are one of the best-sounding metal bands out there and they sound heavy as f*ck in E standard. Proof that you don't need to tune down to sound heavy.
Modern metal bands just do it because its easier than actally making the effort to produce something good in standard.

Now I love Metallica as much as the next metal-head but I find that the constant palm muted open strings make it sound heavy.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0
PM---------------------------------------
Who seriously cares..? You can create some BRUTIALZLZZ!!! in standard F..

Plenty of bands play in Standard A, maybe you should have a whinge about them instead.
Quote by ausmud
Who seriously cares..? You can create some BRUTIALZLZZ!!! in standard F..

Plenty of bands play in Standard A, maybe you should have a whinge about them instead.

standard F? standard A? how many standard tunings are there?
I've tried playing some of the stuff I like in drop D that is normally in drop C, and it sounds terrible. It's just a different tuning. Not everybody has to play in standard or drop D. My band uses drop C even. Leave us alone.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
I think people are giving more credit to a tuning's ability to make a song. A lower tuning isnt going to make a normally ****ty song sound good. Like I said above, a lower register just sounds heavier when fretting open/lower notes, especially palm muting. Think of a sub in a car stereo system; the lower the bass, the harder is seems to hit. It's all about frequency, and a lower tuning literally hits harder than a higher one, its a simple science.
Quote by Silky Smooth
Elevator cables

Seriously, drop C sounds like **** with medium or light gauge strings. Dont bother unless your guitar is armed for metal warfare.

(Not that all drop tunings are only good for metal mind you)
For some things I like drop C, it can sound a lot heavier, which can be good.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Well if bands can do it and make it sound good, what's the problem? The Human Abstract, Between The Buried and Me, and Protest the Hero clearly all have talented guitarists (although I think the second two use C#)
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Fuck drop C. C Standard is where it's at.

Does it really matter what bands are tuned to guys? Like really, just because somebody likes a lower and deeper sound doesn't mean they can't play the same thing in A440.

Some things just sound better with lower tunings. The Hive or Take This Life are good examples. Doesn't sound too great in A440 but in things like C standard it sounds pretty cool.

Even Metallica songs sound awesome in lower tunings. Mastodon's Orion and Machine Head's Battery are good examples.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Mar 13, 2008,
Page 1 of 2