Poll: Which guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which guitar?
Jackson COW DK7
16 42%
Ibanez RG7321
22 58%
Voters: 38.
I'm really into playing Fear Factory and Divine Heresy right now and have been playing on my crappy Jackson JS30DKT which has the worst pickups ever made. I want a 7 string and the COW DK7 really interests me but is it as good as the ibanez?

Jackson Christian Olde Wolbers DK7 Pickups: 1x EMG 707 Humbucker

Ibanez RG7321 pickups:
Neck Pickup: IBZ AH1-7 (H) neck pu
Bridge Pickup: IBZ AH2-7 (H) bridge pu

i'm drawn towards the jackson but its quite alot more expensive and hard to find in the uk for a reasonable price

or suggest another 7 string guitar to me PS i dont want a floyd rose
Last edited by Fender Usa at Mar 13, 2008,
Schecter Hellraiser C-7 ftw!

* Set-neck construction with ultra-access cutaway
* 26.5" scale
* Mahogany body
* Mahogany neck
* Rosewood fingerboard
* 24 X-jumbo frets
* Abalone gothic cross position markers
* EMG 707 pickups
* Volume/volume/tone controls
* 3-way pickup switch
* Thru-body TonePros bridge
* Black pearl binding
* Grover tuners
* Gloss black finish
Last edited by Ultimate_Gio92 at Mar 13, 2008,
Have to admit, have a friend with the Hellraiser - it's very nice.

I play a LTD SC607B, very nice guitar as well, play a selection if you can and see what is right for you.
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
u'll miss the neck pup if u get the jackson. but the ibanez pups arent anything to brag about.

Maybe try a schecter blackjack or hellraiser.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
the jackson COW isn't too bad. I rented it once just to try and get a feel of 7 strings before i went and bought one.

But the COW also seemed a bit cumbersome. it seemed that is has a bigger body than a standard sized guitar like the RG. i didn't like the fact that it only has one pickup. and even less so that it was an EMG (only personal preference) The RG is alrite. pretty good for the price. i opted for an Agile Septor 7 (everyone in my town has the rg7321 so i bought the agile just because its different :P) which i liked better than the COW and the schecter c7 blackjack.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
Schecter Hellraiser C-7 ftw!

* Set-neck construction with ultra-access cutaway
* 26.5" scale
* Mahogany body
* Mahogany neck
* Rosewood fingerboard
* 24 X-jumbo frets
* Abalone gothic cross position markers
* EMG 707 pickups
* Volume/volume/tone controls
* 3-way pickup switch
* Thru-body TonePros bridge
* Black pearl binding
* Grover tuners
* Gloss black finish

That looks real nice, I'm not keen on the head but thats no reason not to get one, i'll look into the prices in the UK or get it exported here from America, i got a dime o flame half price that way
Quote by strings-N-stuff
I think that jackson would blow that C-7 out of the water. I've tryed some of the jackson 7strings but not this one, I plan to tho.

just my opinion.

Other Jackson 7 strings? this was the only one on their site where can i see the others?
They're all pretty meh IMO.

The Jackson is like someone missing a leg. The Ibanez has two ****ty legs and the Schecter looks like a homosexual.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras

The Jackson is like someone missing a leg. The Ibanez has two ****ty legs and the Schecter looks like a homosexual.

Dude the jackson has 1 pickup because its designed purely for METAL so no need for cleans
Well, if you don't mind missing the neck pup.. I'd go for the Jackson, because I like the feel of Jackson necks. And the chunky headstock looks great. But the Schecter/Ibanez are probably better value. See if you can try them or similar models in a store and see which ones feel best.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras

That's being picky. You can always replace the ****ty legs for two good ones on the Ibanez.
Quote by Whiskky
That's being picky. You can always replace the ****ty legs for two good ones on the Ibanez.

Absolutely, but I figured he could figure that out himself.

Also, he might like homos. That would be perfect, in this case,
because the choice would be clear.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras

Your analogy sucks.

The EMG 707 is a nice pickup, especially in mahogany.

OP: In this case, I'd get the Jackson COW or the Hellraiser. If you dont mind importing, have a look at ishibashi music and try and get a Ibanez HRG 7, and replace the pickups.
Quote by thedonutman
Your analogy sucks.

The EMG 707 is a nice pickup, especially in mahogany.

OP: In this case, I'd get the Jackson COW or the Hellraiser. If you dont mind importing, have a look at ishibashi music and try and get a Ibanez HRG 7, and replace the pickups.

^ Yessssssss.

Or get the RG7321 if it has to be out of those two, simply because its more versatile, cheaper, and you can always stick EMG's in later if you really want to.
Quote by littlemurph7976
^ Yessssssss.

Or get the RG7321 if it has to be out of those two, simply because its more versatile, cheaper, and you can always stick EMG's in later if you really want to.

You'd have to route the body, but yeah it's possible.
Having two crappy pups doesn't really make it more versatile than 1 good pup IMO.

Also, I thought it was a pretty accurate anolagy.. ah well.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

personally, id shoot for the xiphos if you can..

dinos new axe, and you get the great d avtivators..not much more than an rg7321+pickup change would cost tbh.

if not, the rg7321, dimarzio deactivator bridge and dimarzio air nortan neck pickups will be great.
fantastic, low cost 7 string.
tight, clear, bright, active sounding bridge pickups (for the FF moments)
and smooth, airy and clean neck pickup for solos.
Quote by godofshred
personally, id shoot for the xiphos if you can..

dinos new axe, and you get the great d avtivators..not much more than an rg7321+pickup change would cost tbh.

if not, the rg7321, dimarzio deactivator bridge and dimarzio air nortan neck pickups will be great.
fantastic, low cost 7 string.
tight, clear, bright, active sounding bridge pickups (for the FF moments)
and smooth, airy and clean neck pickup for solos.

Well if i got a 7 string i wouldn't really solo and would only need a bridge pickup anyway, I'll save the solos for my dean
you'll just have to play them and see which you like, schecter necks are baseball bats, while ibanez are slinky thin things, jackson sit towards the thin end, but i think are thicker than the ibanez. The schecter is also pretty hefty, it's got some weight to it, while ibanez are pretty light. The RG7321 gets mixed reviews, but the general concensus i think is that after a pickup swap they make for a solid guitar, schecters are more like marmite, its love/hate most of the time, they have good hardware, but many think that the final product somehow doesn't do it justice, they just don't have any life or soul to them, it's an assembly, not a creation. and i don't know so much about the jackson.

look for an ibanez RG 7621 or 7421, out of production now, but bloody nice guitars, they go for reasonable prices used
honestly im an ibanez guy so i would go for the rg then change out the pups i put in the 7 string blackouts it sounds f*cking bad ass
Difinitiley Ibanez 7231, Jackson is awsome but it was only 1 pickup which will suck on the long run.
Quote by Spellcaster
Yes I have sigged myself.
Quote by Fender Usa
Dude the jackson has 1 pickup because its designed purely for METAL so no need for cleans

Haha, really now? Because cleans are only possible on a neck pickup? And neck pickups are only for cleans? And metal has nothing but brutal distortion?

Anyway, going from personal experience, the Hellraiser blows the RG7321 out of the water. Even with a pickup change the RG is just an inferior guitar. It's decent for the price, but not up to par with the Hellraiser. If you want a great RG for around that price, look for a used RG1527; now that's a great ax. I can't comment on the Jackson, but the pickup is very limiting. I play metal and couldn't see myself using a single pickup guitar without getting annoyed by the limits.

Check out the Interceptors and Septors on Rondomusic.com, too.
Quote by Fender Usa
Well if i got a 7 string i wouldn't really solo and would only need a bridge pickup anyway, I'll save the solos for my dean

Because you are going to change guitars instantly every time you want to solo? I doubt it...

You could always save for a RG1527, but you may still wanner pup change.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man