So there was classical, romantic, modern, jazz, post-modern, rock eras!

all rough numbers

Classical (1750-1830)
Romantic (1830-1900)
Modern (1900-1960)
Post-Modern/Avant Garde (1950-2000/present)
Jazz (1920-1965)
Rock (1965-2000)

I'm speaking in terms of western music. So what are we living in now? Electronic Era. It makes sense because hip-hop is so popular, bands like Radiohead, dance music, and electronica is becoming more and more influential and popular. Will it be Metal Era perhaps? What's the new form of music and expression on a major scale. There seems to be nothing entirely groundbreaking in years. Will it be something like Battles?
This is the modern era. Music is so widely available, people just play and listen to what they like. It's way to diverse to classify.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
There will not be a metal era because metal doesn't appeal to a wide enough base.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by Mongoose87
There will not be a metal era because metal doesn't appeal to a wide enough base.

That's cause you weren't alive in the 80's. I've heard stories.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
It's the metalocalypse.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
People are writing combinations of all music that's ever been around, so you can't really label it at the moment. Although I can't see how you stopped the rock era at 2000... it's not like it's over or anything. I think you should replace the jazz and rock sections with "pop". I know some people mightn't like that, but it's the proper term for both.

Pfft. When I was a kid we used dinosaur skulls for drums. Wheres the timeline for melo-dino-death ? HUH? WHERE!??!
Hurp De Durp
Quote by abcdboy
That's cause you weren't alive in the 80's. I've heard stories.

The 80's also had disco and punk. I think the view of metal as being the be-all and end-all of music is amplified on these forums because they're populated by guitarists.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
After the introduction of electric instruments, it's impossible to pigeon hole music into epochs.
Contemporary.

Nuff said.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by Garden_Of_Light
After the introduction of electric instruments, it's impossible to pigeon hole music into epochs.

+*rather large number*

It was slow at first to grasp onto most genres at first, with the main bands being like Devo and whatnot, but when electronic elements slowly started creeping into most all music, it made it nearly impossible to label this era.

I have no problem with it, either. Electronic music is very powerful, and has many, still numerous, possibilities.

The more the merrier.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
electronic musics been around since the 70s(even earlier than that)
back in my day, there was no such thing as punkedddddd chickeneddddddd bandedddddddds. back in my day we werent even alllowed to dance because the Easter Bunny got a sex change and became a psychotic serial killer and thought that he was Jesus so he broke and entered everyones houses just to molest lil kiddies and poines in the gluuuuuuuu factory
BITCH, IMA LEAD FARMER

Read 'Em =]
-----------------------------------
[thread="1177989"]Unwanted[/thread]
[thread="1179087"]Rude Awakening[/thread]
Quote by mrwaffles
Hold on there a second. What happened to Baroque? And on that note, I propose BAROQUE REVIVAL!

I too was wondering that.

Also, Medieval era.