i need a rough estimate of how much a floyd set up would cost if i want to install 1 new saddle and a new set of strings. I just read in another thread some guy paid $120 for a setup on his mockingbird and that just seems way too expensive to string up and intonate a guitar.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Quote by silentzodiac
20-30 dollars if more learn how to do it yourself. Better yet just do it yourself.

thats what i keep telling myself, but ive already done so and cant get my action at a sweet spot
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
wanna know a secret? use your allen wrench that you use for the locking nut to measure. and the low side slide it under the string and lower it to the top. and the other side about 3/4 of the wrench. alot of it depends on the guitar and the type of frets/strings and all this. plus your neck might be bent too much. i could go on and on here but just check the truss rod first, then fix the action. you can easily find tutorials on that, just search google if you can find it on here.
Usually i charge $75 bucks.. Thats usually the going rate to setup a floyd. Most setups are not just slapping on some strings and tuning. Example...

Heres what i typically do on all my setups.

Truss rod adjustment if needed
Condition and clean the fret board
Adjust intonation
Tighten nuts that hold the tuners in place
Re-string
Stretch strings
Adjust pickup height
Adjust action to factory specs or owners requested specs
Then tune to requested tuning and make sure tremolo is set to the correct level not all trems are the same.

And heres now the magic number is worked out...
Usually its calculated on an hourly rate of $50 bucks an hour. Example Hard tails take about an hour so thats $50 bucks. Floyds take about an hour and a half sometimes longer so $75 worth of labor.

Hope that helps...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Mar 13, 2008,
^ thats nice and all, but i think i forgot to mention somewhere i have a broken saddle, actually, just the saddle screw, but i dont think they'll sell me a screw...its stripped and stuck tight. i tried getting it out with some pliers, but it didn't work.

since im going in to go get some parts (ie strat-style bridge for my Yamaha, maybe tuning pegs) i thought it would be a good idea to just go get it set up and replace the entire saddle.

EDIT: the above comment was directed to the person above the person above me.

$75 is a big chunk of change. how much would it cost for just strings, saddle, tuning and setup?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
Last edited by Phillitalian at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by Phillitalian
^ thats nice and all, but i think i forgot to mention somewhere i have a broken saddle, actually, just the saddle screw, but i dont think they'll sell me a screw...its stripped and stuck tight. i tried getting it out with some pliers, but it didn't work.

since im going in to go get some parts (ie strat-style bridge for my Yamaha, maybe tuning pegs) i thought it would be a good idea to just go get it set up and replace the entire saddle.

I would replace it for free if i was doing the setup, its one screw and takes you like 30 seconds at most. It took me about 2 minutes to take apart my whole floyd this morning in preparation for the brass sustain block i ordered.

Now some techs will charge you for it, but most wont if you say dude its like 30 seconds and your setting up and doing the intonation anyway so you have to unscrew the piece to do that...

But also I'm pretty cool and cut breaks and go the extra mile to make people happy. Theres alot of guys that do not do that... So choose your tech wisely..

And just replace the whole saddle...

As for the price tuning, setup and strings is still $75. Floyd's suck man, i've messed with mine for 3 hours one time because it just wasn't cooperating with me and i had buzz issues, tuning issues and the strings took forever to fully stretch.. Either way i would have still charged $75 bucks because a setup is a setup in my book.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Mar 13, 2008,
why cant all guitar techs be all chill like you. i guess im not getting a bridge for my baby anytime soon

EDIT: WAIT WAIT WAIT

do most shops carry floyd parts? because i went to 2 and both said they dont carry saddles...
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
Last edited by Phillitalian at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by Phillitalian
why cant all guitar techs be all chill like you. i guess im not getting a bridge for my baby anytime soon

EDIT: WAIT WAIT WAIT

do most shops carry floyd parts? because i went to 2 and both said they dont carry saddles...

Most are in it for the cash only... I do this as a side hobby because i love doing it.

I've never seen a place carry saddles... Usually they have locking nut bolts, maybe trem arm, and sometimes but rare a full locking nut...
Those basic needs can be down at home, it's really worth getting used to your instrument and how to set it up yourself.

A floyd rose system is a piece of cake once you get it down it really is! Most people are intimidated by the leveling of the trem and how to adjust the springs and change strings. I personally always change one string at a time that way the bridge won't drop out on you. And another trick is to string it backwards so the ball end is at the head stock.. then you just cut the string end off and pop it in the locking saddle and tune up and your done.

I would take a day aside and just experiment and see how it works, try and do it yourself and save the more complex workmanship to the shops like fret leveling and replacing ect ect.