Ok so i joined this new band...no name or anything the first band meeting was last week and their a swell bunch. One problem though...WTF is rockabilly...the first name that came to mind was brian setzer and ive gotten kinda addicted to jump jive n wail and i wikipedia-ed a few others...so far it all sounds basically identical...blues 1-4-5 pattern with a more dance feel, very trebly guitar, and walking bass line...is there anything im missing? Any one else you would reccomend...so far i have setzer, elvis, carl perkins and a few individual songs...Someone that kinda breaks the format a bit so i dont end up with a bunch of identical songs? Im already gonna add a lil SRV to the mix...
The Stray Cats pretty much ARE rockabilly incarnate.. Rockabilly is just like early rock n roll. If you want some more modern takes The Living End are highly rockailly influenced.. You could get into psychobilly punk stuff aswell I guess but normal rockabilly is fun to play and sounds good!

You need a quiff though. It's in the rulebook.
lol hell no to the quiff. and the stray cats are now the brian setzer orchestra...so yea i looked at them. Psychobilly sounds strange...psychedelic as opposed to metal right? Im keeping away from metal in any form...
rockabilly

rock n roll ....country boogie....jump blues....

go on youtube

jerry lee lewis
elvis
gene vincent
buddy holly
stray cats
carl perkins
The Stray Cats aren't the Brian Setzer Orchestra, Brian Setzer just happens to have two bands.

When he performs here at Westbury Theater (I've seen him twice) he comes on first with the orchestra then breaks out the Stray Cats which is just his 3 piece band of pure rockabilly.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by Schneiderman
The Stray Cats aren't the Brian Setzer Orchestra, Brian Setzer just happens to have two bands.

When he performs here at Westbury Theater (I've seen him twice) he comes on first with the orchestra then breaks out the Stray Cats which is just his 3 piece band of pure rockabilly.

yah he actually does 3 things he has a solo project to which is rock country and rockabilly,
but, hes ending the stray cats and statring the farewell tour,
lee rocker also has nother band called the 13 cats( i think) and you can look up the polecats but they suck.
so yah brian setzer stuff IS rockabilly(i have about 3.2 hours and counting of his music on my cp)
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
I guess rockabilly would be described as "rockified country". As someone mentioned, Reverend Horton Heat is a good example. The Stray Cats/Brian Setzer of course. I like Jr. Brown a lot. Older stuff would be Eddie Cochran and surprisingly Bill Haley and the Comets. The Violent Femmes are a more modern take. When I saw them live the drummer just had a snare and cymbal...not even a stool! Upright acoustic bass and guitar/vocals. Simplicity and rawness seems to be the key and I think it's rock in it's purest form.
Quote by cloud_x_13
lol hell no to the quiff. and the stray cats are now the brian setzer orchestra...so yea i looked at them. Psychobilly sounds strange...psychedelic as opposed to metal right? Im keeping away from metal in any form...

Psychobilly is like punk/rockabilly.. They basically just pay faster and have different lyrics and they all have awesome mohawks and massive quiffs and ****! Yay for mohawks.

I dunno any bands off the top of my head but I'm sure there' loads of good ones.
Quote by TheDev01dOne
Psychobilly is like punk/rockabilly.. They basically just pay faster and have different lyrics and they all have awesome mohawks and massive quiffs and ****! Yay for mohawks.

I dunno any bands off the top of my head but I'm sure there' loads of good ones.

looked that up..definatley not what im looking for...the search goes on
Hot Dog by Led Zeppelin. Hard RockABilly. Setzer is awesome.
Rockabilly was a stage in the development of Rock and Roll, (Thanks to an Alan Freed quote according to some) Rock and Roll became Hard Rock and later Metal.
Rockabilly is where rock n roll was born, in Memphis TN at the good ol' Sun Studios....er at least it was Sam Phiilps at Sun who popularized rockabilly.

Check out Carl Perkins, Elvis Presley's older older stuff, older stuff by Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash, all are the great grandfathers of Rockabilly.

Check out the Million Dollar Quartet for an amazing album of all of the above musicians in one sitting!
does Tiger Army count as rockabilly?
Quote by AtThisVelocity
Your crying like a baby to the pit....You have pretty much ruined it for yourself.
Quote by byakuya08
does Tiger Army count as rockabilly?

TA are a quintessential psychobilly band, along with The Horropops, Nekromantix, The Quakes etc.

The Reverend Horton Heat also leans in the psychobilly, they sort of span two genres between Rockabilly and Psychobilly.
rockabilly = incredible amount of coolness. LOL!!!

"Its a crazy sound that sent my soul that's part hillbilly and part rock n roll. And all you need is a guitar, a bull bass, and a big old drum."